DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

Igor,

I do believe that you confuse the two.

Here, he answers questions put to him by members.

The website gets updated when there is official news to announce.

Of late on this thread it has been more about defending himself, than anything else.

He has made abundantly clear how it is to be funded, BUT alas a lot seem to not read.

Maybe it is the education system nowadays!

Khris

Farish only update their webpage when there is something substantial to show e.g. a tooling or a finished model, however they do often put the release dates further and further back.

Dapol show CAD, toolings and then final models

Dave I think is probably up there with Dapol but as he only has the one model of his own in late stages of development I guess there isn't a lot to update on his site till the final models appear now for the J94.

Igor,

I do believe that you confuse the two.

Here, he answers questions put to him by members.

The website gets updated when there is official news to announce.

Of late on this thread it has been more about defending himself, than anything else.

He has made abundantly clear how it is to be funded, BUT alas a lot seem to not read.

Maybe it is the education system nowadays!

Khris

Hi Khris. Sorry, cannot agree.

The funding method is not made clear at all on the front page of the DJM website. That's why it keeps coming up. It's very important and therefore should be very prominent. If all the question here were duplicated on the website it would form a useful FAQ. This would then save time in answering the same questions, over and over again. To me, an answer to a question is the same as news in this instant. I think I've said it before but not every customer is on this forum and if they were, it would be a lifetimes trawling through threads to learn all this stuff. The DJM website should be the place to go...

• RMweb Gold

Dear me!

Let's put ourselves in Daves shoes.

Imagine you are in a large room, a ballroom if you like.You are on your own.

All around you are stood other people. They are all talking about you. Some are positive and say good things. Others are negative, constantly doubting you and your abilities. You occasionally respond, but for those who doubt you, it falls on deaf ears. You leave the room now and again but return and the same people are in the room and the topic of conversation is the same. Again you respond but again it falls on deaf ears. You leave only to return to the room and find nothing has changed. People still doubt you........

What a very unpleasant nightmare.......

Guest G567281

Dear me!

Let's put ourselves in Daves shoes.

Imagine you are in a large room, a ballroom if you like.You are on your own.

All around you are stood other people. They are all talking about you. Some are positive and say good things. Others are negative, constantly doubting you and your abilities. You occasionally respond, but for those who doubt you, it falls on deaf ears. You leave the room now and again but return and the same people are in the room and the topic of conversation is the same. Again you respond but again it falls on deaf ears. You leave only to return to the room and find nothing has changed. People still doubt you........

What a very unpleasant nightmare.......

So typically British. Disgusting.

I am bewildered by this thread. I haven't followed it closely for a while, but noticed a lot of recent activity so I looked at the last few pages. I was quite surprised by the tone. Perhaps I shouldn't have been. (I just finished reading Doris Kearns-Goodwin's excellent biography of Lincoln and still have the phrase "better angels of our nature" in my head.)

It's hard to tell but apparently some people are now upset with Dave Jones either because products aren't appearing fast enough for them, or in the absence of products appearing fast enough he's not communicating often enough that there is no status to communicate.

From the outset it was clear that Dave Jones' plans were very ambitious for a new entrant into the market and an individual to boot. Nonetheless Dave has the credentials to deliver on his promises. It's also no stretch to imagine that the additional announcement of a (very) large slate of commissioned items might delay DJModels-branded items while at the same time the revenue generated by the commissioned activity would, presumably, help fund development of the DJModels-branded products helping create a stronger company in the long run.

We've seen the Kernow re-issued Beattie Well tank brought to market.

We've seen lots of material progress on the Kernow O2.

It is not Dave's responsibility to directly communicate the status of the commissioned items. This is the prerogative of the commissioners. Regarding the design particulars of duplicate announcements in 00 I understand Dave's reticence in sharing design details at this stage.

Corporate communications is a tricky endeavour. Dave distinguished himself from his competitors by his willingness to contribute personally here. He still does, despite what I would categorize as increasingly personal comments, but I don't see the point of haranguing him when he doesn't have a status update to make. If anything it serves to discourage him from communicating when he has something to say.

Everyone has the same kind of issues. Oxford Rail, for example, is doing only one locomotive. They promised samples in April. On May 11, they posted a note deferring an update until June. Delays do not by themselves imply incompetence.

Hang in there Dave.

Keep the faith.

I look forward to a number of products you are helping bring to market and remain confident that they will be well received in the fullness of time.

A former colleague of mine never saw the Morgan car he pre-ordered.

That's sad. From the world of celebrity, Steve Jobs never took delivery of the custom yacht he had built for him either.

I'm hoping that as much as we might anticipate the products that Dave is bringing to market, none of us believes that our for our lives to be complete we must have a newly tooled model of a J94 (or whatever).

Keep at what your doing DJ Dave.  I'll have Arkley's Clayton's if he doesn't want them.  Not that they make sense with my Hymek, but still.

Also, can someone tell me what a 'brickbat' is?  Not something I'm familiar with over here.

Keep at what your doing DJ Dave.  I'll have Arkley's Clayton's if he doesn't want them.  Not that they make sense with my Hymek, but still.

Also, can someone tell me what a 'brickbat' is?  Not something I'm familiar with over here.

It's the opposite of a bouquet....

(I'll get my own coat)

• RMweb Gold

A piece of broken brick - sometimes used to throw at someone or a criticism/ unfavourable comment.

• RMweb Gold

The following either fell by the wayside or were cancelled for budgetary reasons - Worcester area resignalling (not authorised for development); closure of Norton Jcn signalbox - scheme authorised and work started, budget provision withdrawn;

Now I am sure that was frustrating at the time Mike but that's one scheme I'm glad did fail! Sorry....looks like Worcester could end up being the last semaphore oasis

Phil

• RMweb Premium

All this whinging about the Clayton......................I pre-ordered a couple of 7mm Locos................spare a thought eh? :D

Happy to wait here..............they are all a proposal not a promise, patience is the better way to deal with this.

Then again it is RM Web :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Now I am sure that was frustrating at the time Mike but that's one scheme I'm glad did fail! Sorry....looks like Worcester could end up being the last semaphore oasis

Phil

Frustrating at the time Phil but perhaps not so in retrospect because I had of course gone through the track layout with my usual scalpel led approach (sounds more scientific than an axe, and it was ;) ) so there would have been rather less railway subsequently than there is today.   The second time I had a go at Worcester I was actually putting in one or two bits of railway instead of taking some out - but that didn't happen either!

• RMweb Gold

Frustrating at the time Phil but perhaps not so in retrospect because I had of course gone through the track layout with my usual scalpel led approach (sounds more scientific than an axe, and it was ;) ) so there would have been rather less railway subsequently than there is today.   The second time I had a go at Worcester I was actually putting in one or two bits of railway instead of taking some out - but that didn't happen either!

:offtopic: Sounds a bit like my career. I spent the early years taking things out, then had a bit of consolidation before being involved in providing new stations, reopening lines, then finally upgrades for increased speeds and traffic levels.

Someone asked how long real railway projects take? Let's take the Hitchin Flyover as an example:

Early 1950's - outline proposal submitted as part of ER's ECML incremental upgrades (may even have been proposed in LNER days?). Not approved.

Early 1980's - outline proposal submitted (slightly different) as part of GN electrification extension to Royston. Not approved.

Late 1990's - outline proposal submitted (by me this time) as part of Railtrack ECML upgrade proposals. Approved to outline design stage, but hit land footprint problems, especially with nearby school..Put on backburner for future schemes.

mid-2000's - put back on the approved list and re-designed to avoid school problem (I had moved on by then).

A few years ago (year?) - finally completed.

So, about 60 years or more. Which makes Dave look very fast indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Frustrating at the time Phil but perhaps not so in retrospect because I had of course gone through the track layout with my usual scalpel led approach (sounds more scientific than an axe, and it was ;) ) so there would have been rather less railway subsequently than there is today. The second time I had a go at Worcester I was actually putting in one or two bits of railway instead of taking some out - but that didn't happen either!

Do you do what I do at shows?

I often look at layouts with complex track plans and think how I could convert it to a basic railway - think what the Bath Green Park layout would look like with a single platform in the station with perhaps a run round loop, one kick back siding and then two single lines following each other to where the lines diverge :sungum:

Slow projects are almost universal nowadays- but that is not the way things used to be-

On March 5th 1935 the LNER ran a feasibility run to see if a high-speed train could be steam hauled. A3 "Papyrus" raised the World Speed Record to 108mph on this trial.

On March 11th an outline proposal was sent to the LNER board.  No detailed drawings at this stage.

March 28th LNER Board approves a new train and work begins.

April 17th 1935 the first drawings for the new loco were sent to Gresley.

June 6th the first castings were made- only 3 months from the feasibility study.

June 26th - frames of new loco laid.

Sept 7th 1935 the new loco was put into steam  - 6 months from the Feasibility study.

Sept 22nd 1935, new loco reaches 100mph on test.

Sept 26th 1935 - first public run of new train (just less than 6 months from approval by LNER Board), "Silver Link" sets new World Speed Record of 112.5mph.

Does beg the question of why NOBODY can pull off a big project this fast eighty years later......

As to length of time to make a new model- I assume Dave's critics are also reading the Bachmann thread, or are they?

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Gold

Slow projects are almost universal nowadays- but that is not the way things used to be-

Does beg the question of why NOBODY can pull off a big project this fast eighty years later......

As to length of time to make a new model- I assume Dave's critics are also reading the Bachmann thread, or are they?

All the very best

Les

On the other hand I had sight of proposals for electrification from London to Swansea and Bristol to York passing across my desk as long ago as 1969. (Items 2 and 3 in the BR electrification wishlist after KX to Edinburgh IIRC)

It will be very interesting to see what happens to these projects. There could be one or two scenarios that would certainly put the proverbial cat amongst the pidgeons

Slow projects are almost universal nowadays- but that is not the way things used to be-

On March 5th 1935 the LNER ran a feasibility run to see if a high-speed train could be steam hauled. A3 "Papyrus" raised the World Speed Record to 108mph on this trial.

On March 11th an outline proposal was sent to the LNER board. No detailed drawings at this stage.

March 28th LNER Board approves a new train and work begins.

April 17th 1935 the first drawings for the new loco were sent to Gresley.

June 6th the first castings were made- only 3 months from the feasibility study.

June 26th - frames of new loco laid.

Sept 7th 1935 the new loco was put into steam - 6 months from the Feasibility study.

Sept 22nd 1935, new loco reaches 100mph on test.

Sept 26th 1935 - first public run of new train (just less than 6 months from approval by LNER Board), "Silver Link" sets new World Speed Record of 112.5mph.

All the very best

Les

Probably because the LNER had thousands of (compared to today) cheap highly skilled workers working for them, and a vast resource industry to support them all........

You can do anything with money and resources.

• RMweb Gold

On the other hand I had sight of proposals for electrification from London to Swansea and Bristol to York passing across my desk as long ago as 1969. (Items 2 and 3 in the BR electrification wishlist after KX to Edinburgh IIRC)

I can cite a much more extreme example than that; c.1958, BR Southern Region lowered the trackbed through Gillingham (Dorset) tunnel (aka Buckhorn Weston) to provide clearance for proposed overhead electrification.

Nothing similar was done to Crewkerne or Honiton tunnels so the scheme presumably fell out of favour before they got done.

John    

I believe that the plan was to put the whole of the network under the wire, work starting in the 1950's under BR.  This was why the Standard Steam locos were built, to keep the railways running until that happened.

But we all know what happened next, cheap oil, road transport, Dr Beeching and lack of investment in the railways.

Loconuts

Archived