DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Oh & from my point of view I would leave out the NEM couplings and stick to screw Link/3 links.

I've dabbled with O gauge and one thing that turned me off was the screw link/3 link couplings - trying to couple up some Heljan Mk.1s was a real pita......

NEM coupling boxes allow many options - I'm sure it will be relatively simple for a manufacturer to produce screw link/3 link couplings attached to the tail that fits into the NEM coupling box. - then you would have the option of using screw link/3 links, Kadees or Lenz couplings.......

Keith

Dave,

Why should we expect the standard of these proposed models to be any different to those produced during your time with Dapol? 

Dave

Hi Dave,

Don't! Please expect the worst, and then be surprised if i do.

Meanwhile I'm not using anyone's money to do this other than my own. Literally, unlike some, i'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Not many do that now do they?

So, the old adage springs readily to mind. If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple.

I'm not going into business to throw £100,000 away now am I? :-)

Oh and I'm looking forward to seeing your massed produced self funded models soon too ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Agreed and    xD   to the doubters....................let's give the man a chance first

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure how I can convince you until I make something that banishes your fears.

Anything I say until I've delivered the goods will only be lip service anyway?

As for paying your money and taking your chance? Why?

Your not being asked to pay anything up front.

Once the product is produced it will be shown displayed, reviewed etc.

You will more than likely read the reviews from magazines, here and posters, then possibly see one running on a layout, or visit a model shop to run one yourself.

Only then will you decide, like most of us, to put your hand in your pocket!

Surely that's logical?

Dave

Dave,

Your choice to invest your money in your venture is exactly that...your risk whichever way it goes.

I was looking for the steps which you have taken in order to ensure that your models are worthy of the price which you expect us to pay...or are we expected to do your QC work as well.

Dave   

Dave

As you are starting from scratch with new locomotive designs, I would like you to consider the possible architecture of future model railroad command and power systems.

Radio/WiFi control is already becoming practical for O and S scales and working it's way through into HO/4mm scales. It may be a while before components are small enough for TT, N and Z scales.   In design terms that would mean allowing room for easy removal of weight and replacement with receivers/communication devices and batteries in addition to decoders. Also to be considered is hybrid architecture where the battery is recharged from powered rail sections either while running (the electronic water trough) or on shed.

As an near future design where there is still rail carried power and command control, space should allow for Keep Alive equipped decoders.

And everything must still be backwardly compatible with 2 (or even 3) rail analog control.

Just thoughts you may wish to consider.

Cant we give Dave a break don't we want new models?

He has thought long and hard about his venture and giving up his job to produce models to a high standard .

Yes I bet he does not get ever thing 100% first time but shouldn't we be here to work with him its all our hobby and by working together

we can help him make some great models at least he is one person that does listen. 

It amazes me how much knowledge some of you have and willing to share in helping others its brilliant and I take my hat of to you.

Then there is the whinge and moan about everything brigade enough said. 

To me this is the best hobby in the world so lets enjoy it?

Hugh

I've dabbled with O gauge and one thing that turned me off was the screw link/3 link couplings - trying to couple up some Heljan Mk.1s was a real pita......

NEM coupling boxes allow many options - I'm sure it will be relatively simple for a manufacturer to produce screw link/3 link couplings attached to the tail that fits into the NEM coupling box. - then you would have the option of using screw link/3 links, Kadees or Lenz couplings.......

Keith

Ok I understand that, coupling coaches can be a pain, but I would like to see the loco supplied with screw link / 3 link as per the prototype and then have an easily removable NEM coupling pocket like a few of the OO gauge locos from what I remember. So at least if we don't want to use them there not stuck to the front of a loco.

im sure they will be just as good :)

I hope not!

He'll be in trouble if they are

Dapol have known QC issues and reading between the lines, I think DJ knows this and is aiming to avoid the same problems, hence the aim to check each item personally before shipping to the customer

First, I wish you the best of luck.

Second, as a southern region modeller in OO I am disappointed, but if your business is a success I am sure that you will get around to it.

Third, what does concern me is your choice of the J.94 for OO guage.  Obviously there are existing moulds available for Hornby to use, which means they may be able to undercut you no matter how much better your model is both in looks and running.  I am SURE you have thought of all this, and I hope you are correct.

Again, good luck

First, I wish you the best of luck.

Second, as a southern region modeller in OO I am disappointed, but if your business is a success I am sure that you will get around to it.

Third, what does concern me is your choice of the J.94 for OO guage.  Obviously there are existing moulds available for Hornby to use, which means they may be able to undercut you no matter how much better your model is both in looks and running.  I am SURE you have thought of all this, and I hope you are correct.

Again, good luck

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the well wishes, it's appreciated.

With the choice to do the J94 its really a 'no brainer' as the existing model is very old and could be made to a higher standard and detail with modern day expected standards. Dished wheels for example, DCC ready, coreless motor.

The business plan, based on my previous experience with the OO & N gauge westerns, the hall, pannier, 56 etc have all proved there is a market for something better.

Cheers

Dave

...all I'm looking for is an understanding of how Dave is intending to avoid a re-run of what we've just experienced/are still enduring and the only thing that I'm not hearing is how he might go about it.

I can't believe that I'm the only one asking the question.

Dave

Great start Dave, love the Clayton in N.

I wish you every success in the venture, and as a serial entrepreneur I know how much hard work goes into getting a venture off the ground.

I second the guy who is asking for NER 0-6-0s, they will sell like hot cakes.

Archived