Replacement for Hornby type M motor.

• RMweb Premium

I have just finished a conversion of a Hornby 0-6-0 tank with an older type motor M wired for DCC.. Trouble is however much I try to get it to run smooth it is like polishing the proverbial. My question concerns that of a replacement that I could put in without having to change too much. ideally a direct replacement would be best. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Edited by 7013

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

This was the only thread that came up on a Hornby 'M' motor search.

I searched because the 'M' motor is very small, comes with a cradle that encompasses pickup

wipers for all 6 wheels in my case for a S&DJR 3F Jinty.

From my experience these motors seem to be very weak as my loco slowed through curves, pulling

18 wagons plus and wouldn't run slowly. It just hummed so obviously no pickup problems ! When

running light engine at a scale 20 mph and blocked with a finger, rather than develop wheel slip, the

motion ceased moving and it hummed quite loudly. Now thought I, that sounds like magnet weakness ? 

At just £5 a replacement motor was cheap enough. The trouble is it's given a minimal improvement

When I put a screw near to the removed motor there wasn't enough magnetic pull to hold securely.

My new motor has the same identifying stamp, are they all that weak ? Or was there a bad run ??

The loco in question was DCC fitted by me and I've not yet bothered to do a decoder change as I

don't think that is the problem

This I think is the only locomotive from a shed of 80+ that hasn't enough power to develop wheel

slip. Something wrong somewhere ? anyone any ideas ??

I do have 2 other 3F, both Bachmann and while I've loaded them to a stall the wheels keep turning !!

Geoff T.