Turnoutkit in 12" to 1 foot scale....

It used to be done with a string line or theodolite to set the alignment of the timbers, the manufacturer having drawn a line usually down the 4' while the timbers were laid out in their yard for the test build up. There would then be two sets of wooden laths that were laid along the sleeper ends, one set black the other white. These were marked with the position of the sleepers along the layout. Between the two you could get the timbers laid out well enough to drop the rails on, and get the layout put together.

Were there any holes in the sleepers for the track pins?

Stewart

ps just wondered if you looked at the underside to see if it was marked Peco?

No we used a very large eye dropper full of dilute PVA and a bucket full of Fairy Liquid.

• RMweb Premium

When I was commuting into Toronto, I saw tracklaying in two styles.

On the mainline, they used RTR pointwork -- each point seemed to be in 3 sections -- and they were just dropped in place.

When they rebuilt an old yard for intermodal (its been redeveloped since) they laid the points with individual sleepers and rails.

• RMweb Premium

To add to this I noticed yesterday that there is a stack of new sleepers at Peterborough all nicely numbered and waiting for assembly - south end of the new platforms I suspect ...

The interesting bit is the 'bolt together' 'sleepers' which have what appears to be butt a joint in the middle (of the four foot) - one hopes that the bolts won't start to 'work'.

Yes, it's a (Balfour Beatty designed) method of creating "long" concrete "timbers" in S&C - don't think it's for very high speed use. 682 crossover coming out of Clapham Jn Up Main Loop (Plat 7) back onto the Up Main installed in 2004 during my tenure there was the first use in Wessex.

A godsend when you see what it replaced :O

The numbers on the concrete bearers show exactly where they go in the layout which are built up off-site first to check everything fits and is there.............

and there's ALWAYS one left over on site afterwards that hasn't fitted............... :scratchhead:

Here are a couple of pictures of a relaying job carried out in Plymouth a little while ago -

post-5286-0-10279400-1379251913.jpg

the bits were brought in having been assembled off site (Tavistock Junction possibly?) and dropped in place as can be seen here, the up side on this occasion, and the down line about a month later.

The chaps in the centre of the photo are standing on the divergence of the turnout, where the joining bolts protrude from the sleeper ends.

post-5286-0-87201700-1379252387.jpg

Although I did not capture the work during the second occupation this is a detail shot of the finished crossover showing the fixing of the two sides using the vertical studs. This needs careful measuring when casting the second set of bearers to ensure that the stud holes are correct to allow the studs (which are welded to the reinforcing steels in the first bearer before the concrete is poured) to slide through correctly and allow every thing to align.

You can clearly see where the two bearers butt up against each other close to the near rail.

I hope this helps to explain the methodology of this operation

Wally 

Archived