MOVING COAL - A Colliery Layout in 0 Gauge

This is absolutely wonderful!  Another one to add to my list of favourites, and another potential distraction for when my shed finally arrives!  O scale industrial, splendid stuff...

An overall look at the track plan would be interesting to see.  Will the canal tipper be similar to the one that Michael Andress built waaay back when I were but a lad?  I always liked the look of it, the prototype had a Jinty with yellow tanks and 21T hoppers as I recall.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

Brilliant stuff Philip. As you know, I've an interest in the Walkden system myself having been brought up locally. You've really captured many of the elements here, the brick bridges, the loco shed, canal and wharf, just stunning. Really looking forward to seeing it develop.

Is the canal still orange? I know they were talking about 'cleaning' it up, though as it's a natural phenomenon of the area I don't know how.

attachicon.gifLayout 10B.jpg

The gradient here against the loaded trains requires double-heading if smaller locos are used.

What's really nice about this layout is the impression it gives of being part of a wider system; there's a purpose to the movements of wagons about the place and the photo I've attempted to quote really shows this well and I do like a model that isn't wholly flat...

Adam

Great layout. I'd like to second Adam's comments about giving the impression of a larger system and also a purpose to operations. Much more authentic :-)

Out of interest, what's the minimum radius you've used on your curves? They look tight, but still realistic.

Looking forward to some more photos, especially more of the interesting loco fleet you've alluded too....

Cheers,

Andrew

It's also refreshing to see a layout designed around a realisitc operating strategy, not just a shunty plank or diorama.  Somehow, model railroads designed in this way seem more compelling.

Couple of questions:  does one locomotive propel the empties into the screens, and another pull the loads?  are locomotives allowed over the weighbridge, or do loaded wagons roll over it one at a time without power?

I imagine something similar to this excellent thread

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

If that's minimal scenery I'm giving up right now!  Love all of it, but in particular the weighbridge hut which has that real feel of Government architecture about it.  In another life I spent a lot of time in similar looking buildings on training areas and ranges, this particularly reminds me of a console on an ETR.

Thanks for sharing the plan, that's a good chunk of railway you've squeezed into the room, yet the photos make the layout appear more spacious than it is. Great work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for track plan and definitely agree with Andrew

Great layout

Brian

Couple of questions:  does one locomotive propel the empties into the screens, and another pull the loads?  are locomotives allowed over the weighbridge, or do loaded wagons roll over it one at a time without power?

I use an 0-4-0 or one of the smaller 0-6-0s to propel empties into the screens and position the wagons for loading.  In full size practice of course this operation would be performed by gravity on track laid to a slight gradient with movement of the wagons being controlled by the wagon brakes but I don't think this is practical in model form.  The other option would be a creeper under the screens to move the wagons along.  However I think its quite satisfying to position the wagons for loading with a loco although it is unprototypical.  Although it may not be apparent from the photos, the screen tracks are at a slightly lower level than the through lines and wagons would roll down to the screens after being propelled through the pointwork if allowed to. Locos can cross the weighbridge to collect the full wagons.  I assume that in full size practice, unless the weighbridge was on a bypass track as here at Mountain Ash -

post-14569-0-36520000-1379111303.jpg

the weighbridge could be locked in position when not actually weighing wagons.  Note that in the Bersham thread Post #7 second photo, SPIDER has crossed the weighbridge to collect wagons from the screens.  Also in this topic on Sutton Manor Colliery  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56561-seen-at-sutton-manor-colliery/  there is a bypass loop line at the weighbridge but its obviously not been in use for some time so locos must be crossing the weighbridge which is on the main entry track to the colliery.  

Edited by PGH
  • Like 8