MOVING COAL - A Colliery Layout in 0 Gauge

As one privilege to work on PGH's layout as a driver / shunter, I confirm its magical quality

It captures in fine detail the essence of the prototype,  add PGH's model engineering skills ....gravity loading and unloading live loads of real coal brings the layout to life with a sense of purpose. 

Operation with true fidelity, a rare treat.

Looking forward to tipping end door wagon loads of coal into the Bridgewater canal ( barges ). :nono:

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I started this layout there were two main aims, first to construct a layout that could be operated similar to the prototype and second to build models of locomotives which operated at Lancashire Collieries with particular emphasis on the system operating from Walkden Yard.  At that time the latter meant scratch building, as the availability of kits for industrial locos in O Gauge was many years away in the future.  The first aim is far from complete and the second hasn't really got very far, with only two Walkden locomotives completed, although there are more than enough locomotives to operate the layout.

post-14569-0-44155400-1383750969.jpg

FRANCIS was one of a series of ten 'Victory' class locomotives constructed by Kerr Stuart in 1917 for the War Office, Inland Waterways & Docks.  After the war they were sold to a variety of concerns, KS 3068 being purchased by Bridgewater Collieries for use on the Walkden Colliery system where it was named FRANCIS, replacing a smaller Manning Wardle 'K' Class 0-6-0ST of the same name sold at about the same time.  The name originates from Francis Egerton, Third Duke of Bridgewater, otherwise known as the 'Canal Duke' who developed the collieries in the 18th Century and instigated the construction of the Bridgewater Canal.

Under the NCB FRANCIS was based at Astley Green Colliery, returning to Walkden Yard on occasions for repair including a period of nearly two years in 1950-52 waiting for a new boiler from Hunslet.  In 1966 it was fitted with a Giesl ejector and the livery changed from black to red.  Following the closure of Mosley Common Colliery, the largest on the system, in February 1968 the reduction in traffic released newer austerity locos which replaced the older locos at Astley Green and they, including FRANCIS, were withdrawn and scrapped at Walkden Yard later that year.

An article and drawings of the Kerr Stuart Victory class locos by Don Townsley appeared in the Railway Modeller for September 1966, and since then kits are or have been available in 4mm and 7mm scales.  My version is however scratch built apart from motor, gears, couplings, handrail knobs and etched plates.

post-14569-0-11450400-1383750983.jpg

Nearly complete and ready for painting, this shows the variety of materials used - tinned steel footplate; steel boiler tube; brass smokebox, firebox and boiler fittings; nickel silver tanks, bunker and cab; wood buffer planks.  The wheels were constructed by shrinking steel tyres on to brass centres.

post-14569-0-24818800-1383750991.jpg

This loco was built back in the 'dark ages' when suitable small motors for O Gauge were hard to find.  It originally had an ex RAF surplus motor as shown here driving a vertical worm shaft running in two ball bearings via bevel gears.  I believe these motors were either 12v or 24v and I must have got one of the latter as it was far too slow.  It was later fitted with an open frame Pittman DC81 motor sited more conventionally between the frames, which was faster but too noisy.  So now its on its third motor, a Buhler can motor mounted vertically.

post-14569-0-55980900-1383750998_thumb.jpg

View underneath as completed, opposite way round to the previous view.  The axles and frames are split electrically so there are no pick-ups.  There is a short inner steel frame, slotted for the axleboxes and joined fore and aft by spacers of tufnol rod.  Fixed to this subframe are the full length frames in brass with perspex block spacers, fore and aft for attaching the body and centre for mounting the motor.  The brake cross beams are from insulated material, probably copper clad sleepers.  The rear driven axleboxes are clamped in position by the keeper plates and the other four normally sit at the top of their slots but are allowed to drop - a crude form of three point suspension, but it seems to work OK and electrical pick-up is certainly no problem.  The frames are insulated from the footplate and bufferbeams by a layer of paper.

post-14569-0-57097900-1383751006.jpg

Lining was expertly carried out by Larry (coachmann)

Edited by PGH
  • Like 16

(following this I wonder who will mention the dreaded 'w' word ? :nono:)

I will, that's a Wonderful bit of work Philip, really captures the look of the original; steel tyres shrunk onto brass centres, that original bevel drive, steel boiler and footplate, fantastic stuff.

They are a very attractive locomotive, the Geisel ejector didn't do Francis any favours in the looks department. I've the 4mm kit in the 'to do' pile, might have to promote it.....

That chap who painted and lined it shows some promise.............

Edited by Arthur

I will, that's a Wonderful bit of work Philip, really captures the look of the original; steel tyres shrunk onto brass centres, that original bevel drive, steel boiler and footplate, fantastic stuff.

They are a very attractive locomotive, the Geisel ejector didn't do Francis any favours in the looks department. I've the 4mm kit in the 'to do' pile, might have to promote it.....

That chap who painted and lined it shows some promise.............

No Arthur, it definitely wasn't that 'w' word, I was expecting howls of disapproval from those who think industrials should be covered in a layer of filth

The Kerr Stuart Victory Class locos are rather handsome and this is avery nice model. Some pictures of my 7mm scale model from the Agenoria kit can be seen at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76328-in-praise-of-industrials/

I also named the loco Francis, but as my livery is freelance I will change the name and use one of the nameplates from the fret supplied with the new Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 diesel locomotive. As these locos were built for the ROD during the First World War, I think I will use the "KITCHENER" plate. I still fancy building one of the GWR  Victories in early BR livery. 

Today I stumbled on the answer to my question above.  The article I was referring to appeared in the July 1998 issue of Railway Bylines.  Well worth a read.  As an aside, it's also got an article on Fowler diesels, which are currently topical as well.

Railway Bylines is one of my favourite reads and a must-have. I must try to find a back copy of the July 1998 edition that Paul mentions. 

post-14569-0-13101300-1384212715.jpg

KATHARINE was built by Manning Wardle in 1914 for the Bridgewater Collieries system, one of only three industrial 0-8-0 tank locos used in the UK.  The other two were built by Nasmyth Wilson for the neighbouring Gin Pit system, the first in 1910 so KATHARINE might have been the result of 'keeping up with the neighbours'.  However apart from both being side tanks the two designs were completely different, the Gin Pit locos being neat and compact with outside cylinders and valve gear whereas from new KATHARINE was an ungainly looking machine with high mounted boiler and tanks, and inside cylinders.  As built the side tanks extended from the upper cab opening to the front of the smokebox and the tops were nearly level with the top of the boiler, hence the very high cab front spectacles.  At the front they were cut away at the bottom with no footplate below, so the driver could just walk under the tank and lean over the frames to oil the inside motion.  This top heavy design no doubt contributed to the loco's tendency to roll from side to side at anything above the lowest speed and may have contributed to the derailment in which it landed on its side in a field, requiring the loan of a LMS breakdown crane to recover it.  After this incident it was rebuilt with new lower side tanks and this is the form the model represents.  It was scrapped in October 1945 shortly after the arrival of the first austerity 0-6-0STs at Walkden.

post-14569-0-07212100-1384212725.jpg

KATHARINE was the subject of an article and drawings in the June 1976 Railway Modeller, and on my 'like to do' list, but some way down.  Then at a Gauge O Guild convention I was surprised to see a pilot model on a kit manufacturers stand with a note asking for further information.  I was able to provide some additional details including a copy of the original works drawing and in return was offered a kit at a discount, a somewhat dubious favour as it turned out although it did result in the model being built.  The chassis was constructed first using the chassis etch from the kit, modified to take Slaters sprung axleboxes.  The wheels are by Alan Gibson with white metal centres and two part axles joined with a taper pin.  Most of the other chassis details are from scratch including the coupling rods machined from mild steel.  Motor and gearbox are Portescap RG7 and spring pick-ups by Slaters.

When it came to the body I actually used very little of the kit.  To be fair the kit does produce a reasonably fair although not totally accurate representation of the prototype.  One major compromise is to enable the tanks to be located by tabs and slots on the footplate they were moved inward instead of sitting where they should be on the edge of the footplate.  This also resulted in the cab being narrower than it should be.  In the end I think the only parts from the kit used in the body were the boiler tube - with a strip spliced in the bottom otherwise it would have been too small diameter - the footplate edging and the dome casting.  Apart from some of the boiler fittings from other sources, handrail knobs, lubricators, buffer stocks (Slaters), couplings and etched plates the rest was built from scratch.

post-14569-0-92020100-1384212734.jpg

post-14569-0-23552500-1384212756.jpg

The footplate and boiler unit complete.  The body is built in sections, painted separately then bolted together.

post-14569-0-87476800-1384212764.jpg

The completed chassis.  The motor/gearbox is anchored by a torque arm to a frame stretcher, the bent strip above the motor merely carries the fuse.  The valves are sited above the cylinders, with the valve rods actuated by rocking arms and driven by eccentrics on the second axle.

post-14569-0-87221500-1384212774_thumb.jpg

The underside view showing the eccentrics connected to the bottom ends of the rocking arms.  The slidebars are included (in red) but without the crossheads.  The coupling hooks are anchored to the end frame spacers rather than the buffer beams.

post-14569-0-21804900-1384212784.jpg

post-14569-0-84191400-1384212795.jpg

Although the moving valve rods are just about visible, in practice they are hardly noticed when the loco is operating.  Like the prototype the loose three link couplings are carried on the hook itself rather than through the hole.  The lubricator drives caused some head scratching !

post-14569-0-67289400-1384212803.jpg

The loco is painted in Manchester Collieries livery with the red lining expertly carried out again by Larry (Coachmann).

Edited by PGH
  • Like 16

No Arthur, it definitely wasn't that 'w' word, I was expecting howls of disapproval from those who think industrials should be covered in a layer of filth

I don't know about "howls of disapproval" - I am full of admiration for your scratchbuilt locos which are quite superb. However (you knew that was coming!) I don't care how well they were looked after the real things burnt coal, produced lots of soot and ash, had grease and oil applied and were exposed to wind and rain, so some dirt was inevitable. It's certainly true that some industrials were kept clean by their crews who took a pride in their machines. But some light weathering in appropriate places (soot on the top of the smokebox, boiler and cab etc) would make your models really convincing. Of course it's your railway and you will please yourself - as we all do - but I for one think that any steam railway that isn't weathered to some degree is not going to look convincing. I'll shut up now.

Chaz

• Like 1

I've been waiting to see more of this beauty Philip and it doesn't disappoint. I'm particularly taken with the gauge glasses, a small detail but very convincing, bits of Perspex? A lovely model of an unusual prototype.

I've always had a hankering for one of the Naysmith Wison 0-8-0Ts, who could resist a locomotive named 'Emmanuel Clegg'!

• Like 1

I'd like to know more about the two Naysmith Wilson 0-8-0Ts, I've never seen any drawings (and not many photos either), basic measurements would be a help.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Kit??!!!! Froth, gurgle, more froth.......

I was going to ask myself if anyone knew of a drawing, I can probably think of half a dozen photographs of them, none I could post (copyright) but I'll dig them out and identify where they are. There may be some very basic dimensions in one of the Naysmith Wilson build lists I have, again I'll have a look.

• Like 3

:good: I`m in awe of the craftsmanship shown on this marvellous an enthralling thread; even the photography is top notch!............it`s really setting 'the bar' very high indeed; seeing the work of such a skilled exemplar, shows many of us what might be achieved (if only our lives were considerably longer). :mosking:

I'd like to know more about the two Naysmith Wilson 0-8-0Ts, I've never seen any drawings (and not many photos either), basic measurements would be a help.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

I've just looked through my collection and cannot find one - although I'm sure I had a Don Townsley drawing of these locos.

I did however find Don's short article and 4mm drawing of the Gin Pt Manning Wardle 0-8-0T (railway Modeller June 1966) and his superb article with fine 4 and  7mm drawings of the Kerr Stuart VICTORY Class (Railway Modeller Sept 1966).

Wonderful engineering on these locomotive models!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

there was also an 0-8-0 by Hawthorn Leslie called "Hecate" for Colonel Stephens

Quote from Post #111:  

"KATHARINE was built by Manning Wardle in 1914 for the Bridgewater Collieries system, one of only three industrial 0-8-0 tank locos used in the UK"  

Edited by PGH