MOVING COAL - A Colliery Layout in 0 Gauge

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be one of the most inspirational layouts I have seen. So much so, I am delving into building a small 7mm scale industrial layout and I am tempted by the Lionheart open wagons. In industrial 'Internal User' use, would open wagons typically be of fixed end or end door type or is dangerous to generalise? Maybe thrifty industrial railways would stay clear of more costly end door wagons unless there was a genuine need for this type of unloading.

What do the industrial railway experts think?

Good question.  I imagine internal wagons would be those removed from main line duty.

Maybe before mass withdrawal of timber P.O. wagons the non-end door wagons had become less useful due to increased mechanised handling by the major customers - in which case there would be more of these available.  But upon wholesale withdrawal of timber wagons there'd be plenty of end doors available too.  Is that a reasonable assumption?

Suggest mass perusal of industrial photographs!

• 2 months later...

Have just found this thread and found it truly inspirational. Could I ask a quick question about the sleepers. Are the three colours you mentioned mixed in equal parts. Thanks.

Thanks for your comments.  

Yes, the three colours mentioned were mixed in roughly equal parts.  However I have found that Humbrol colours do vary so that similar mixes don't always give the same result and you may need to vary the mix.  The idea was to represent old sleepers with virtually no traces of creosote on their upper surfaces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your comments.  

Yes, the three colours mentioned were mixed in roughly equal parts.  However I have found that Humbrol colours do vary so that similar mixes don't always give the same result and you may need to vary the mix.  The idea was to represent old sleepers with virtually no traces of creosote on their upper surfaces.

How was the excellent flat black finish on Katherine achieved? Thanks

How was the excellent flat black finish on Katherine achieved? Thanks

I used Humbrol enamel varnish in the end, I can vaguely remember that, and probably mainly satin, but with a mix of flat or gloss.  The aim was to take the 'edge' off the black, i.e. towards grey and get enough of a shine, or perhaps sheen, to make it handleable.  I hope that makes sense.

I find that Humbrol satin varnish seems to be more matt than it used to be but Humbrol Matt varnish gives a noticeable grey tint.  If I was doing this again I would probably start with satin, mix in a bit of matt by trial and error to get the right colour ('off black') - using a test piece helps here - then (another coat) mix satin with a touch of gloss to get the right amount of sheen.

Primer would have been automotive two pack etch primer.  For the black I think I purloined some of Larry's black cellulose.

Everything was sprayed of course.

I hope that helps.  

Edited by PGH

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness you did, Larry else this wonderful thread may have continued under my radar!

Talk about inspirational, this is amazing work, PGH!

May I ask, how long have you been working on this project?

It's certainly time well spent.

Thank you!

John E.

Thank goodness you did, Larry else this wonderful thread may have continued under my radar!

Talk about inspirational, this is amazing work, PGH!

May I ask, how long have you been working on this project?

It's certainly time well spent.

Thank you!

John E.

Thanks for your comments John E.  

How long have I been working on it ?  

A long long time, and even longer than that, so long I wouldn't like to say  :secret: .  However I've also been working on two other layouts so the work on this one has been rather spasmodic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

PGH, I keep re-visiting this thread whenever my love for 7mm industrial layouts stirs from behind my fixation on US N scale, and every time it inspires me to work on my own very slowly developing 7mm layout.

Have you managed to work on it any more, and made any further progress on this work of art?

• 1 month later...

Reviewing where we got to with this topic it occurs to me that I have been rather remiss in not responding to some of the comments kindly (?) made by other members, so for a start....  

I was quite intrigued by the comments from Neil (Post #55), and when I say intrigued I don't mean in the context of "that sounds interesting" but more "what the heck is he on about" (although in that sentence "heck" wasn't the first four letter word that came to mind).  Having re-read his comments recently I'm still of the same opinion.

"As a stand alone layout it's magnificent, but juxtaposed with the photos it all looks a bit clinical. There are a number of layouts like this at the high end of the model makers art which for me get so close yet fail to capture that indefinable something which breathes life into a confection of wood, card, plastic, metal and glue. I think I may know why.

PGH, on 17 Sept 2013 - 21:39, said:

..... When it came to painting the track I made up samples of various Humbrol colours and compared it to the real thing, for what its worth this was the result:

It's this painstaking approach (which in so many instances pays huge dividends) when applied to the randomness exhibited by mother nature fights against what we would expect to see in the real thing. The colours may well be spot on, but we would expect anomalies too, hints of other shades bursting through. Being too studied in the way we work leaves no room for the happy accident, we get 'photo real' rather than vibrant life."

To those taking a rather arty-farty view of railway modelling this might be quite a profound way of thinking but on the other hand it could be considered as pretentious claptrap, meaningless empty rhetoric with little practical application.  On balance I would tend towards the latter.  Having examined results incorporating "happy accidents", if I said I was not impressed it would be a gross understatement, maybe some of the accidents were "unhappy accidents". 

Unfortunately it seems that in trying to be helpful to other members by describing how I painted the track this appears to be the proof (to Neil at least) that I am "doing it wrong".

post-14569-0-13659300-1411424301.jpg

Carrog, Llangollen Railway

post-14569-0-89576100-1411424298.jpg

The sleepers are different of course but the ones I portray would have been down much longer that the prototype shown and probably bleached and devoid of creosote on their exposed surfaces.  Overall I didn't think it was that far out. 

Anyway Neil thanks for your comments although I did find them annoying, meaningless, unhelpful and rather irrelevant.  Rather perversely Neil likes my brickwork although that is one thing I'm usually never happy with.

How "blessed" we are on RWweb, sorry slip of the finger - RMweb,  to have "experts" to advise when we are going wrong and tell us that their way is the way to do it.

There are, I would suggest, many ways in which we as railway modellers seek to portray something in model form that resembles the real thing, varying from the extremes of counting rivets on one hand to dabbing a bit of "dirt" on out of the box Hornby or similar on the other.  All are equally valid depending on the aims and ability of the individual modeller.  If my approach is considered painstaking I consider that a compliment and much preferable to the slapdash "happy accident" approach apparently favoured by some.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My apologies that my comments have caused such obvious irritation and over such a span of time; that wasn't my intention.

However I still stand by what I said even though it may seem like arty farty pretentious claptrap. I believe that there's a truth about randomness and imperfection in there too, a randomness and imperfection which shines out of your own prototype photos in post 22. It's not just in art where the random happy accident is seized upon, here's a clip that simply demonstrates how it relates to a naturalistic (realistic)  representation of what nature does.

Well as the old saying goes " You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some of the people some of the time ". 

Personally I think your attention to detail is spot on, and as you said yourself there is still a lot more small detail to still to add, is a layout ever finished ?

So with the vision of Monty Don throwing his Narcissus bulbs in gay abandon, I must say I would rather rely on the wild birds planting the wild seeds as nature intended.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

I can only say that if I can get my track to look as good as the track of this layout I shall be more than satisfied - try delighted.

Of course, there are always other ways of doing things - that is why the hobby is so individual. And dare I suggest that we all see the world differently? So that what works for one, does not for another. The reason why (among other things) people prefer different styles of art.

My apologies that my comments have caused such obvious irritation and over such a span of time; that wasn't my intention.

However I still stand by what I said even though it may seem like arty farty pretentious claptrap. I believe that there's a truth about randomness and imperfection in there too, a randomness and imperfection which shines out of your own prototype photos in post 22. It's not just in art where the random happy accident is seized upon, here's a clip that simply demonstrates how it relates to a naturalistic (realistic)  representation of what nature does.

How about we reach an agreement -

We'll grasp (even adopt with open arms) the concept of randomness / imperfection, if you'll grasp the concept that this layout is not yet finished?  :yes:

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Premium

How about we reach an agreement -

We'll grasp (even adopt with open arms) the concept of randomness / imperfection, if you'll grasp the concept that   this layout is not yet finished :yes:

There's no need to shout, I grasped that the layout was unfinished when I made my initial post.

My apologies Neil - and I have removed the shout from my post.

Everything you say about randomness is true - but at this stage in the layout's development I think we are all more than happy to see - and take inspiration from - photos of progress (including areas not yet seen) showing areas of clinical incompletion.  It is quite apparent from the work seen thus far that the finished layout will be quite stunning in its portrayal of a real life colliery line, even down to the rose bay willow herb bursting randomly from every nook and cranny!.

So where's this coal prep plant then? 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think it looks incredible as it is, even if it's not finished.

It's a wonderful layout, and one of the relatively few actual examples of industrial layouts on RMWeb. This, Bury Thorn and Sons, and a couple of other are all the inspiration I could ever ask for - though more is NEVER a bad thing! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question, from some of the photos you've posted it looks like the wagon tippler building at the top of the incline actually tips the wagons? Could you describe how that works and what happens to the 'coal' load. Other than that, brilliant stuff.

Quick question, from some of the photos you've posted it looks like the wagon tippler building at the top of the incline actually tips the wagons? Could you describe how that works and what happens to the 'coal' load. Other than that, brilliant stuff.

Quick answer to the first part of the question - yes it does, the second part will take rather longer.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1