MOVING COAL - A Colliery Layout in 0 Gauge

Re. the construction of tippler house and hopper shed above:

The prolific use by collieries of brickwork to' fill in' between steel building frames surprises me - I know some collieries had an associated brickworks, but even so the cost of materials and labour goes a fair way towards the cost of cement asbestos / corrugated iron sheeting for example.

The only thing going for it which I can think of is zero corrosion of panel work, but then there is corrosion to steel frame components associated with brick infill to consider.

Edited by Osgood

I thought the sound was great, personally.

The sound effects of cutting off the regulator, to allow the loco to coast onto the back of the wagons etc was spot-on. 

Paul A. 

I agree.  I'm not a big fan of DCC steam sound, it never sounds 'right' to me whereas diesel sound generally does.  All to often you see/hear steam locos chuffing madly away even when they are coasting down hill or easing up to their train.  The regulator shutoff and virtually silent easing back onto the train was excellent.  Pity there are no associated steam effects!  That would really ice the cake!

post-14569-0-03254500-1448399521_thumb.jpg

The operation of the tippler is shown in the above diagram.  It basically consists of an 'L' shaped platform pivoted at the top of the vertical leg.  The wagon sits on the bottom leg and the platform is raised by a cable connected to a winding drum above.  As the table rotation approaches 90 degrees the top of the wagon contacts a beam supported between two arms pivoted at the ends of the same pivot as the table and held against stops in the vertical position by cords attached via pulleys to counterweights hidden in the corners of the building.  The beam then in effect clamps the wagon to the table and as it moves with the table the counterweights are raised.  Rotation of the table continues until the wagon is fully emptied, whereupon the motor is reversed and the wagon returned to the horizontal position. 

The loaded train is propelled towards the tippler with the leading wagon uncoupled.  This wagon is located in the correct position on the tippler platform by four ½mm deep hollows in the rails.  The remainder of the train is then reversed clear of the building.  After emptying the next loaded wagon is uncoupled, propelled on to the table, pushing the empty wagon clear in the process, and the operation repeated.  The siding beyond the tippler will hold only 3 empty wagons clear of the tippler building, a fourth wagon could be tipped but it would not be possible to re-couple that wagon inside the building.  So after emptying 3 wagons they are re-coupled to the train and drawn out through the tippler, the train re-marshalled with the empties next to the locomotive and the next 3 wagons tipped.  

• Like 7

post-14569-0-19964300-1448400681.jpg

The tippler platform with the building removed.  The left hand support for the hinged beam is cranked to clear the empty wagons.  Top left is the DIN socket for electrical connection to the winding gear.

post-14569-0-86646400-1448400682.jpg

wagon in position on platform

post-14569-0-09121400-1448400685.jpg

A motor/gearbox unit is connected to the winding drum by bevel gears.  Two spur gears on the other side of the gearbox drive a M8 threaded rod with a captive nut which contacts a microswitch at each end cutting off power at the top and bottom of the platform's travel.  The tippler is operated by a change over switch - with a full wagon in position turning the switch up raises the wagon which stops automatically at the highest point, wait a few seconds to allow the wagon to empty completely, then turn the switch down to lower the wagon which then stops automatically back at track level.

post-14569-0-29877700-1448400687.jpg

The coal is discharged into a plastic container below the baseboard.

• Like 7

I like it, well thought out PGH.   

I've been thinking of doing an End Tippler version but that does require me to have opening ends on the wagons whereas yours turns the wagon beyond 90 Degrees to empty.  Not yet sure what product the wagons will be carrying, stone, iron ore, sugar beet or something else, it all depends what will suit the location and space available.

Thanks for showing the workings too.

Just had a catchup with your thread and loved the video and the how to on the loader

Everytime I see your layout it makes me want to do a colliery layout lol

Excellent work and beautifully modelled

Brian

I've been thinking of doing an End Tippler version but that does require me to have opening ends on the wagons whereas yours turns the wagon beyond 90 Degrees to empty.  Not yet sure what product the wagons will be carrying, stone, iron ore, sugar beet or something else, it all depends what will suit the location and space available.

An End Tippler is the next project and was marked as "Canal Coal Tip" on the layout plan in Post #15.  The Peco 16T mineral wagon kits have opening end doors and I have several, either as NCB internal user or BR examples, but they will need some form of catch to hold the door shut when carrying loose material, as I know from experience !

The coal tip will be based on the one at Boothsbank on the Walkden System, which I measured about 45 years ago, so its about time I made use of those measurements.

post-14569-0-78976900-1448490510.jpg

Today the site of the tip and sidings have disappeared under a housing development and the canal basin is now a marina.

One of the few remains of the Lancashire Coal Mining Industry is nearby at the site of the former Astley Green Colliery - the preserved No.1 Shaft winding engine, a twin tandem compound and the largest steam winder in the Lancashire Coalfield.  Well worth a visit for anybody interested in industrial history.

post-14569-0-47718000-1448490513.jpg

post-14569-0-74480000-1448490515.jpg

post-14569-0-33960200-1448490519.jpg

Edited by PGH
  • Like 10

This short video shows the Boothsbank Coal Tip in operation, transferring coal from wagons on the NCB Walkden Railway to barges on the Bridgewater Canal.

Details of the actual tippler arrangement are shown below, wagons enter from the left.

The tippler platform shown in grey is supported on each side by two triangular frames which are pivoted at their apex to a fixed bearing.  The centre of gravity of the loaded wagon is slightly forward of the pivot and this, probably aided by the momentum of the wagon, causes the platform to tip thereby discharging the load.  A toothed rack is provided on part of the platform frame underside, connected to a pinion (coloured red on the diagram) and by gearing to a handwheel on the platform above.  This would be used to return the empty wagon to the horizontal position, aided by the counterweights fixed to the entry (left hand in diagram) end of the platform between the rails.

It will be interesting to see how this works in model form.  I don't propose to replicate the rack and pinion arrangement, and any required movement will be carried out by threads connected to a hidden motor and counterweights.

tbc

Edited by PGH
  • Like 9

The site for the proposed coal tip on the layout.  This has served as a handy shelf for tools, materials and paint - as evident by the state of the surface !

post-14569-0-14404400-1449412617.jpg

Only the actual tip building will be provided, the canal loading chute and basin will be "off scene".

post-14569-0-33156800-1449412620.jpg

First step is to construct the tippler platform and the side frames were cut from 2mm thick brass.

post-14569-0-76398900-1449412623.jpg

The top and bottom flanges and ribs were then added.

tbc

• Like 12

The two triangular supports for the tippler platform - shown coloured blue on the diagram in Post #224 - were constructed from 1mm thick brass 

post-14569-0-80147600-1449746199.jpg

The round corners were shaped with the aid of two pieces of steel rod turned to the required diameter:

post-14569-0-32053300-1449746201.jpg

post-14569-0-16305600-1449746203.jpg

Brass bushings were added front and rear for the shafts:

post-14569-0-18907400-1449746206.jpg

and the ribs soldered on front and rear with the aid of homemade clamps:

post-14569-0-31246600-1449746208.jpg

there are a total of 13 parts in each support

post-14569-0-96663500-1449746210.jpg

The "steelwork" (brass "I" and channel section - nearly £60 worth !) has been purchased for the tippler support but I need to finish the platform and its bearings first so that the support can be made to set them at the correct height to match the entry track.

tbc

Edited by PGH
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at this topic, it's a while since I last looked. Absolutely outstanding modelling!

I love the video, particularly the banker dropping off at the top of the incline.

The brasswork you have done for the tippler platform is quite exquisite...

A quite brilliant model.

Chaz

Work in progress on the tippler support, the idea being to assemble as much as possible as a complete unit which could be painted before installation on the layout

post-14569-0-89580600-1451824943.jpg

The I section beams for the tippler platform were soldered together upside down on a jig

post-14569-0-98574700-1451824937.jpg

The tops of the vertical support columns were fitted into slots on the cross beams

post-14569-0-63957000-1451824941.jpg

The three columns soldered in position.  The tippler itself will sit in the largest rectangular opening with its pivots supported on the double I beams.

tbc

• Like 8

Work in progress on the tippler support, the idea being to assemble as much as possible as a complete unit which could be painted before installation on the layout

attachicon.gifTip Support 01B.jpg

The I section beams for the tippler platform were soldered together upside down on a jig

attachicon.gifTip Support 02B.jpg

The tops of the vertical support columns were fitted into slots on the cross beams

attachicon.gifTip Support 03B.jpg

The three columns soldered in position.  The tippler itself will sit in the largest rectangular opening with its pivots supported on the double I beams.

tbc

Very nice - proper engineering. Looks most impressive even at this early stage.

Chaz

• 1 month later...

I have been following your excellent project since I started on RM Web. It has significance for me because, as a lad, I lived within hearing distance of the NCB line from Sandhole to Sandersons sidings and on to the Worsley canal tip.

My Dad and I 'shunted' wagons in the landsale yard near the woods alongside the East Lancs Road. North Staffs No2 and her sisters were regulars as well as the inevitable Austerities. I have a dim memory of seeing one of the Gin Pit Nasmyths working. That must have been right at the end of its life!

The point of this epistle is to tell you that you have totally cracked the places that I remember.

Keep up the good work!!

Chris.

• Like 2

The tippler table pivots were constructed next.  They comprise vertical triangular plates supporting the bearings with flanges down each side and mounted on baseplates.  The triangular plates were first soldered to the baseplates and located with 0.6mm dia dowels to ensure they wouldn't move in subsequent soldering operations.  The problem then was how to fix the bearings and flanges on to the verticals and keep everything in line.

post-14569-0-29391800-1456664902.jpg

The two sections were bolted to a piece of plywood a set distance apart and exactly opposite each other using the tapped 8BA fixing holes in the baseplates.

post-14569-0-59042200-1456664904.jpg

The bearings and flanges were then soldered on in single pieces spanning both verticals.

post-14569-0-64092800-1456664906.jpg

This gave the required result after separation of the two parts and removal of excess material.

• Like 2

post-14569-0-23770600-1456665039.jpg

The part assembled structure in position on the layout

post-14569-0-19800900-1456665042.jpg

Bases were added to the columns

post-14569-0-56074500-1456665044.jpg

post-14569-0-42577900-1456665046.jpg

This shows how the tippler will operate - when provided with deck, rails, chute, etc, etc.

tbc

• Like 12