2013 Challenge - The Allan Downes Experience

• RMweb Gold

I had a stroll through parts of the thread to see if there was anything I could fit on Farthing. I kept getting sidetracked by all the good modelling, so only made it backwards through the last 20 pages or so, but here's a few links to those of Allan's plans I came across in case anyone is interested:

Railway hotel

Watermill

Village forge

Farmhouses and -buildings

Timber yard

EDIT: And a forgotten thread here, with lots of station buildings.

What, the whole of Pipers Mead?

Nahhhhh.....just the weighbridge.!

Or perhaps one of the thatched buildings, got a bag of hair clippings, bought for a huge price from a Downes groupie via ZBay.

They are quite curly though.........from his beard perhaps?

Now where's Mrs BRs straighteners???

Well I must say a big thank you to all you fine gentlemen for your enthusiasm so far but remember guys, this is Stu's Thread and not mine - he suggested it, he started it, and the Boss Man backed him up - I just got dragged along !

So, I'm now waiting for the first entries, but I'm not quite so sure about the rules myself as to whether or not it has to be a building strictly from my plans, or any building that I may have built in the past, or does every one get a free hand and build what they like? - so, over to you Stu !

Meanwhile, I'll be busy cooking up another challenge - The Iain C Robinson Experience, and believe me, then you'll REALLY have your work cut out !

Cheers.

Allan.

I had a stroll through parts of the thread to see if there was anything I could fit on Farthing. I kept getting sidetracked by all the good modelling, so only made it backwards through the last 20 pages or so, but here's a few links to those of Allan's plans I came across in case anyone is interested:

Railway hotel

Watermill

Village forge

Farmhouses and -buildings

Timber yard

EDIT: And a forgotten thread here, with lots of station buildings.

Thanks for the links Mikkel, that was really helpfull and later I will be putting up other plans that may not have appeared before  when I find the time between modelling, feeding the local ducks, and YMRclub !

Cheers.

Allan

So, I'm now waiting for the first entries,

Barley Charlie, I've only just started and decided on what I am going to do!

One thing I can tell you Allan, My name is not Allan Downes, Iain Robinson, nor Stubby47.

What you guys do in a day will take me a month or two or three ............ :O

Khris

• RMweb Gold

but I'm not quite so sure about the rules myself as to whether or not it has to be a building strictly from my plans, or any building that I may have built in the past, or does every one get a free hand and build what they like? - so, over to you Stu !

It has to be a building inspired by, or recognisable in the style of, any of your plans or photos.

For example, I'm attempting your Windmill, so it will be to your design-ish, rather than just any windmill.

I also fancy doing the Chester Rows ( all that tudor wood), and /or Polperro (not all of it, just one building !)  - again, neither of these would be exact copies, but should be recognisable as Downes-inspired.

Hope that helps clarify things.

At this rate they'll be loads of Stubby47s entry while the rest of us just stand in awe. Am glad one can enter as many times as one likes. 

Shame Downes isn't a WC aficionado.........

Can I please ask entrants who have posted so far to add links to here ift hey don't mind, as I saw Alant's but had to finish something else then I couldn't find it again.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

At the top of the page, just under the main buttons, there is a clickable breadcrumb trail, which will take you to the sub-forum that this thread, and the new individual entry threads, are in. 

1. RMweb
  2. Warners' Zone
  3. Warners Group Content
  4. 2013 RMweb Challenge - The Allan Downes Experience

• RMweb Premium

The downs plans where in the mail box yesterday evening and I'll definately be building the warehouse, maybe the Railway hotel and possibly that timber yard of which all three will work on my grand "Bye eck it were grim during t' war years" West Riding Layout.

Shaun (far too inundated to be on here)

Is there a sub-prize for the most amusing "domestic incident" related during construction? ;-)

Funny!  I was wondering if anyone was going to attempt a model of Allan's mother in law who received several mentions over the years, e.g. "and the mother in law heard about it before it even happened." RM or MRC, c1978 or thereabouts.

Funny!  I was wondering if anyone was going to attempt a model of Allan's mother in law who received several mentions over the years, e.g. "and the mother in law heard about it before it even happened." RM or MRC, c1978 or thereabouts.

Now sadly no longer with us any more, she was referred to on the exhibition circuit as "Nan Nan the magnificent"- she was still lugging  dead weight lumps of scenery up the stairs at York gone 96 !

A truly magnificent example of the species.

Allan.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew up some plans for a low relief cottage tonight, well actually a rather crude sketch and can't upload it due to the current problems on RM web. The dimensions were based on those in Allan's MRC October 77 article (the one recently featured) combined with some ideas from Mike Gill as I have his book. If the design works it will be used as a view blocker to hide the exit to the fiddle yard.

It will be built out of card, use Wills window frames and possibly pantiled roofing. Will really be quite simple and I will make it up as I go along. It is inspired by the Norfolk/Suffolk cottages I know so well from living and travelling around the region for many years.  Although fairly typical of the region; as I build it I will make decisions by referring to photos. As you can tell I don't even know what a rivet is!!

Here's my advantage, my latest ebay purchase. It seems you are well known in California Allan . 

Will probably end up building quite a few models from these drawings and if not they'll make a great reference.

Theres a copy of historic wagon drawing by F.J.Roche that I've worked my way through and last year managed to find a copy of his locomotive drawings at the Medford show here in Oregon for $15 which has inspired a branch out into scratch building locos.

attachicon.gifDowns plans.jpg

Edit; Forgot to mention the Eric plans I used to model Dunster!

Edit#2: Isn't that cottage on the cover the one presented above? I'd like to see anyone recreate any of Allans plans to that standard!

I now feel old - I bought my copies when they first came out :-(

But I've still got them up stairs! :-)

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I now feel old - I bought my copies when they first came out :-(

But I've still got them up stairs! :-)

Phil

Will you be digging them out and building something for the challenge?

Regards Shaun.

After some careful editing hopefully the following makes sense. First photo shows a sketch of the back of a  proposed cottage that will be used as a view blocker. Dimensions are taken from Allen's MRC article October 77

post-12773-0-34308300-1382469252_thumb.jpg

Second photo shows the main wall using a Mike Gill technique, that of using the back of a manilla envelope to create the wall texture. Windows will be Wills.

post-12773-0-63308800-1382469337_thumb.jpg

Last photo shows all the various walls cut out etc from artist mounting board, my preferred medium. Top left is the outside toilet/ coal hole. End walls can also be seen top right one with chimney. Oblong panels in the middle are floor and ceiling.The other side of the main wall can be seen, will be trimmed to size once the building is assembled

post-12773-0-11006200-1382469383_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't take too long, roof will probably be Wills pantiles as they are appropriate to the area. Just a bit of fun really!

Latest photos, real retro modelling, card bits of envelope etc. combined with Scalescenes flint paper and Wills windows. Painted with acrylics, weathered with charcoal as steam locos will be passing right by it on the layout. All sealed with Games workshop purity seal. Now need to detail the inside of the windows, add the roof and guttering, detail the chimney and finish the outhouse. 

post-12773-0-33675800-1382799060_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-41188400-1382799073_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-20577800-1382799085_thumb.jpg

The plan is to put it on own board. This is the back of the house so there will be a shed and yard to detail. The area where the layout is set does include houses built of flint but I fancied a multi textured approach.

I haven't fully scratch built a building for some years as everything recently has been scalescenes based, has been quite enjoyable really regardless of the outcome and it will have a place on my layout so it will serve a purpose.

Photos are rather close up, bit cruel really.Edited for some grammar mistakes. What would Michael Gove say!

The cottage is closer to completion, now need to add down pipes and sort out the setting. The outhouse can also be seen here, this has a corrugated iron roof. I plan to put up a flint wall around the rear yard and mount the whole thing on a sub base as it will need to be removable. Looks like it will work as a view block as the entry to the fiddle yard now can't be seen. Join in the backscene won't be visible once this part is completed.

post-12773-0-02545400-1383474386.jpg

Light improved so I took some photos of the cottage away from the layout to show recent progress.

post-12773-0-31427200-1383482154_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-06984100-1383482168_thumb.jpg

Edited again at 12.36

There haven't been many 'in progress' shots on this thread. Are people having trouble with their windmills, is there a shortage of Colron or a real problem with that cow!

I have really enjoyed building the cottage regardless of the challenge as it has made me rethink the exit from my layout for the better. I can buy very few railway materials in my local area so I have had to resort to being really creative. I'm currently developing the garden including building runner beans canes. Everything I've used in this project has been stuff I've already had or things not intended for railway modelling. Just like the old days really and great fun.

Archived