2013 Challenge - The Allan Downes Experience

• RMweb Gold

I actually haven't started the windmill yet - other projects are taking priority (including a station building for St Agnes which is really taxing my little grey cells), but I hope to start (and finish) in the first couple of weeks of December...

I actually haven't started the windmill yet - other projects are taking priority (including a station building for St Agnes which is really taxing my little grey cells), but I hope to start (and finish) in the first couple of weeks of December...

Looking forward to seeng it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed working on the cottage as part of the challenge and it has been an enjoyable experience. The best part is that it made me completely reconsider the exit to my layout. Like most people I looked at the conventional things such as bridges and tunnels. What I've created here is a view blocker that in my view will be more effective.

Due to file size restrictions I've created a slideshow on You tube of the final model. There is no washing on the line as that would mean the model would have to be set on a Monday, the year is irrelevant until the advent of modern washing machines, it would have to be a Monday. This was the traditional wash day at least in the part of the world where I grew up. The washing line is even slightly wonky as this seems to be how most of them were.

I didn't buy anything for this project apart from some model scene dustbins which were toned down with games workshop washes and Scalescenes flint paper. Everything else came from the spares box. The two birds are eyeing up the veg and what is not visible in this shot is the bird cr*p painted on the ridge!

Garden is garden wire, Woodland Scenics, static grass, hanging basket liner, on a bed of DAS modeling clay painted with artists acrylics. Washing line is cocktail sticks and handrail wire coloured with artists pastels. Inspiration came from looking at Stiffkey in Norfolk though it looks nothing like anything there. Basic dimensions taken from a 'Downes' article then concocted into what you now see. In other words, modelling in the best Blue Peter traditions!!

Mullie, that's brilliant, but more brilliant still is how the hell do you get it onto youtube ?!

Cheers.

Allan.

I took the photos with the camera my daughter is casting aside but it is a hell of a lot better than the one I have been using. Unfortunately it produces big files. I have never used YouTube in this way and went onto it thinking I might be able to post individual photos and then link them to an RM post. Turns out you can upload pictures and create slideshows, I didn't know until this afternoon and I only found it through desperation!

I took the photos with the camera my daughter is casting aside but it is a hell of a lot better than the one I have been using. Unfortunately it produces big files. I have never used YouTube in this way and went onto it thinking I might be able to post individual photos and then link them to an RM post. Turns out you can upload pictures and create slideshows, I didn't know until this afternoon and I only found it through desperation!

Unfortunately, (Google Chrome and Windows7) I get a blank u-tube screen  and message "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address."-- 

Unfortunately, (Google Chrome and Windows7) I get a blank u-tube screen  and message "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address."-- 

Sorry don't know the answer to this one as I too use Chrome and windows 7. Also works fine on an Ipad. In fact just tested it again and it worked fine. Anyone else got any ideas as to why it might not work, settings that could be tweaked?

Mullie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mullie.

I've now found out how to upload vids and slide shows onto youtube and have now got 8 on the go.

Go to youtube and type in " Model railway on a door"

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit, although technically I have started ( card has been cut ), I have changed the design so those cut pieces are no use, so 'No', I haven't started.Yet. At all.

I'm also in the middle of building St Agnes Station building, which is a little overdue.

But, having seen the rest of the entries so far, I'm not sure anything I do will come close.

I have to admit, although technically I have started ( card has been cut ), I have changed the design so those cut pieces are no use, so 'No', I haven't started.Yet. At all.

I'm also in the middle of building St Agnes Station building, which is a little overdue.

But, having seen the rest of the entries so far, I'm not sure anything I do will come close.

Don't be so modest!

I followed the construction of the caravans on DITD that was superb modelling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello one and all,

I guess it's getting close to the time when this little challenge needs to close - how about the end of this month as a definite time ?

Most (if not all) of the entrants have added their own thread for their building, meaning Allan has a bit of reading to do before he makes his decision - do we want to add individual posts, with one or more photos, to a common 'Entries' thread ?

Stu

Hello one and all,

I guess it's getting close to the time when this little challenge needs to close - how about the end of this month as a definite time ?

Most (if not all) of the entrants have added their own thread for their building, meaning Allan has a bit of reading to do before he makes his decision - do we want to add individual posts, with one or more photos, to a common 'Entries' thread ?

Stu

I stuck mine in the main thread. Didn't realise we were supposed to start a thread!!!

Archived