Where are the Hornby models?

• RMweb Premium

It cannot have gone unnoticed that Hornby's output has dried up recently, a quick look at the website shows just old train sets coming through. The next batch of heavy freight tanks are nowhere to be seen, P2 is a long way off, the much anticipated Star keeps getting delayed, and the Railroad MK1's have had their limelight stolen by a £4 interloper.Time was not long ago when the beautiful models just kept coming,

Bachmann on the other hand go from strength to strength with fantastic releases at regular intervals (even during the arid June/July period we had Bachmann locos and stock being released), I wonder how many like me are sadly getting used to Hornby not being around, especially as Bachmann, Dapol etc. appear to be able to satisfy our needs quite happily.

I sincerely hope Hornby can regain some lost ground and sort their problems out, but there does not appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

• RMweb Gold

Clearly they still have production problems which - hopefully - they are tackling.  The acid test will come I think with the build-up of the 'show season' and they must surely be hoping to get things onto a more even keel.  But some things have been coming through - albeit seemingly in fits & starts - and I have at least got the two 2-8-0Ts although still waiting my 2-8-2Ts (and 'Star' and 'Grange').

Hornby are now selling of modelzone's 42/52/72xx to retailers so we should be seeing them again soon ..

Star has been pushed back to due a factory issue which was outside of Hornby control ...

P2, lets get real! It was never going to make it in time for christmas this year ...

and as for the Mk1 3.99 mag, that was mainline/Bachmann old tooling. 

It has been thin pickings recently, though earlier this week I took delivery of a couple of rather nice teak-effect Thompson non-gangwayed carriages.

But in fairness to Hornby, neither Bachmann nor Dapol have recently produced anything in which I'm remotely interested, and the Bachmann porthole stock is still alas not with us.

Paul

Guest spet0114

The NRM have been having a lot of fun with their exclusive editions lately. Not to everyone's taste, but it's kept my wallet from getting dusty.... :)

• RMweb Gold

Could have sworn I saw a copy of the Star at STEAM in July.

Was that just a pre-production one?

Cheers

Adrian

It was there long before July - it was a pre-prod sample according to my informant at the museum.  However it does look like the 'Star' has missed this weekend's event at Swindon in just the same way that certain A4s missed some other minor event earlier in the year.  It must all be very galling for Hornby but as Mike Wiltshire has pointed out they are not alone in waiting long promised product to arrive from the other side of the world

• RMweb Premium

Agr07 I never implied a time line and it is well known the P2 is not due until 2014, but even given the CL 40 and porthole stock delays there has been a lot of Bachmann stock (commissions or not) hitting the market; whereas the only new Hornby stock trickling through is the heavy tanks. This is not meant to be a critcism of Hornby, more of an observation about how quiet it is from Margate. One can only hope that Hornby get their production problems sorted out and some new products do arrive before the exhibition season gets into full swing.

It all depends on your interests. The only Bachmann purchase I've made in the last few months was a heavily marked down MZ 08 that was a return 'sold as seen' being flogged off in Modelzone Brighton.

In contrast I've bought 1 Dapol, 1 Heljan and 4 Hornby locos. The Hornby ones have all been 2012 models that I rather fancied but had to save a bit for. I've been happy to purchase them from various retail outlets (not box-shifters) that still had them on the basis that 1) I like them; 2) stocks are running low; and 3) there's no prospect of further examples being dumped on the market as bargain buys. From a retail perspective, rather than the shelves being clogged with new releases, back catalogue Hornby items are getting sold and when new items do turn up, there is hopefully a ready-and-waiting market for them.

Oh, and I still contend that the new Railroad Mk1s are a perfectly reasonable item to make. The idea that an ultra cheap not-very-well-finished coach flogged through newsagents in a one off exercise will somehow remove the market for a fully finished coach from a household brand name sold through model shops for years to come doesn't make sense to me. 

This has been going on for sometime now,You only need to look at the news letters they send out.

Lots of reworked loco that are already in there range made into sets ,like the Titfield Thunderbolt set, the 2-10-0 as cock of the north,the list goes on.

Hornby just seem to be looking around and seeing what they can sell ,from what they have in stock.

Also how long has this supply problem been going on for, this was  talked about as far back as 2010-11, Would you not as a big company sort this out, I mean if you nothing to sell because the factory that you use can not supply what you sell, He do you make money and keep your business afloat and your costumer happey ?.

Would you not make this your number one problem to solve!,Hornby are not a small company in this game.

Yes Hornby are having problems with getting new and old models to the market, and when they do hit the selves there’s a drought, with shops not getting there quota they asked for.

I I know that we can say that they are not having a good time over the last few years,but they are a businessman,that is not working as it should,

Hornby can not hope that brand loyalty will keep there costumer hanging around ,with the hope of seeing that next model they said was coming out 2013/14/15.

This has been going on for far to long now and it needs to be sorted out, for I fear that as time goes on Hornby will find it harder and harder to keep making excuses,why this model will be late to market.

Other company will in the end leave them behind,then Hornby may wake up and go where did all our costumers go,Oh they now buy from …..... as they bring to market locos people want and within a expected time.

Please Hornby sort out your house, I have been buying your models since I was a kid and I want my kids to do the same!.

Please do not take this as a rant,this just how i see Hornby.

Darren

According to Hattons, the latest release of the BR Intercity 125 (R3138), is due in stock on the 24th September.

Does anyone know if that date is still realistic?

Have you heard of the ancient practice of augury?

If you're not squeamish and know someone who wants to unload a surplus chicken and isn't affiliated with the RSPCA, then your guess will be as good as anyone's.

EDIT: Apparently fooling around with the insides of chickens is called haruspicy and is performed by a haruspex. (Which I never knew before and is now my useless fact of the day.)

Julius Caesar (Shakespeare)

CAESAR:

What say the augurers?

Servant:

They would not have you to stir forth to-day.

Plucking the entrails of an offering forth,

They could not find a heart within the beast.

The continuity of the Etruscan tradition among the Romans is indicated by several ancient literary sources, perhaps most famously in the incident related by Suetonius in which a haruspex named Spurinna warned Julius Caesar to beware the Ides of March. (wikipedia)

That sounds like something out of a Harry Potter train set.

More like a N.E.W.T.s level divination class. I'm not sure that Sybil Trelawney would have been up to it. Tea leaves were a bit much for her. Firenze could have managed it.

Haruspex.  I thought you needed cream from the clinic to rub on that.

And the plural form is haruspices. It sounds a bit like an east Asian stir-fry dish of unmentionable meats: haru (spicy), uses haru spices.

Unless of course it's a line of trendy eyewear: haru spex.

• RMweb Gold

Is there any truth in the rumour that the 2014 catalogue is being deferred to 2015?

On a more serious note, I've just been updating my wants/preorders list and have been shocked how few Hornby items appear in it. They have not even announced very much that interests me and 75% of the models that do are variations on existing products.

The blue boxes passing through my front door over the next couple of years are likely to outnumber red ones by about 6 to 1.

John

Is there any truth in the rumour that the 2014 catalogue is being deferred to 2015?

On a more serious note, I've just been updating my wants/preorders list and have been shocked how few Hornby items appear in it. They have not even announced very much that interests me and 75% of the models that do are variations on existing products.

It is rumoured that many of the long-awaited Hornby items would be released on the 31st September...

They should be looking at bringing the production back to the UK or at least within the EEC.

I would not mind paying an extra tenner for a loco if the quality was the same if it was made in Great Britain.

I know there are some tight bu--ers out there that would mind.

At least we might get the items we are promised on time.

Archived