Where are the Hornby models?

• RMweb Premium

And for those of us who run trains with wagons in them?

Quite, the wagon range is disappointing. Based on what's on display at my local dealer (including older unsold stock as well as current production) private owner wagons in various sizes seem to be aimed at the collectors of interesting PO liveries and the "average Hornby customer" (for want of a better term), who like a train of very mixed appearance. Parts of the range have their origin in the Airfix range, with very little change, and although some (5-plank and GW van) are still passable, the liveries offered are limited and often inaccurate. Some ancient body mouldings and odd underframes still appear from time to time. I get particularly annoyed by the timber example with LMS-ish 8-shoe brakes that appears under the stone/ore tipplers and  some PO wagons. After a bit of research I matched it to some Midland Railway van diagrams. I could just about understand them re-using it if they'd ever actually done a MR van. I model 1930s to 1948 so am less familiar with later stock. My wagon fleet is now being expanded from kits and occasional Bachmann items, like the new (?) grey LNER High Steel (very nice),

Pete

I think that's outside the scope of discussion of this thread to be honest; global macro-economics of production call all sorts of ethics into question. I don't think that's a territory we want to venture into, because I don't believe it will offer any insights to the topic we're discussing.

Who are you to say what valid in this discussion!

I for one think it is as it is part of the whole issue Hornby have to deal with in their global reach.

A little off topic understanding can always be beneficial.

If you don't like it then tough, others might.

Good for you!  Why not start a separate thread about the ethics of low cost mass-production 'tourism' in Wheeltappers?

The reason it doesn't belong in here is that the ethical issues will inevitably cause thread-creep into restricted areas.

The post I responded to reads thus: "Does nobody have a problem with the system of 'offshoring' manufacture - in that it can definitely be seen as exploitative?"

Without dissecting every syllable used in that quote, it's clear to me from experience that discussion of the last word may very quickly lead to some external guidance being applied.

I'm being temperate in this reply, frankly having re-read the tone of yours I'm not sure it merited it.

• RMweb Gold

Who are you to say what valid in this discussion!

I for one think it is as it is part of the whole issue Hornby have to deal with in their global reach.

A little off topic understanding can always be beneficial.

If you don't like it then tough, others might.

. Please read Mod 5's post 334 .Yes,Chard was temperate in his reply.We seem ,for some reason,to be becoming unnecessarily confrontational in our postings.

Hi.  It all depends what you model.  I am sure that the Bachmann GC O4, D11, J11 are, or will be great models.  However for the GE section they are useless, whereas the B1, B17, O1, L1 are exactly what is required.  Likewise for the SR/SW section the C, E4, H2 are no good but a T9, M7, N15 are ideal. When it comes to Standards however Bachmann produce their 73xxx, 76xxx, 80xxx, 82xxx which are really useful. It's that simple.

Roger. 

Very droll, and in many ways I quite agree, but I think at times you can compare the general range against each other from company to company. What people seem to do is focus on the engines they want from companies, and as you mention anyone modelling the GN/GC would love Bachmann, the GE love Hornby, the Southern love them both... more or less. You can go around each area and each niche of the market and you will find that opinions will mirror whats available, as well as particular modellers living away from an area but modelling a specific time and place. While many consider the steam engines and models available, its worth remembering that each company does make diesels, units, wagons, coaches too. A broader picture of that range leads to interesting comparrions, especially when you take into account who announces what, when and which sectors of the market those annoucements then open up.

Me, I model the network today, but am eager and enthusiastic about modellling the NER in BR days. Neither make anything I want there, save for the engines that came onto the region..... I'd hope that makes me impartial to whats available for the rest of steam etc as it means I have a company in mind that I would prefer to see make certain engines I would love to have and given wishlists it seems others want to as well. Problem there is that companies are picking the engines they want to model and make to give the appeal to their broader range. Bachmanns engines like the J11, Midland 4F were further down the wishlists than others that some would want but they give a range of engines that means modelling areas can be possible. Thats great if its an area you want, but its not just steam as some clamber for the modern liveries or types on the network today. This is where the simple comparrison takes on all the debate as the issues involved bring opinion and should bring respect for each other but gets a lot more complicated. Pity the guy at Bachmann and Hornby who have to choose what to make... but if they read this and it helps I can offer suggestions!

When a model is put on sale from a manufacturer, it is a model of its time. If it was produced a year earlier or later, the manufacture of it would be subject to different restraints; costs, market forces, latest design fads, you name it. Take the Bachmann 08 - first release had different pickups to the later ones, they changed their ideas.....when Evening Star (9F 2-10-0) was initially designed, the one-piece (no fiddly details added etc) loco body, no chassis, no tender, was widely commented on as costing £100k even then.

A thoughtful and interesting post. One of the recurring themes in this and other 'Hornby' threads has been the issue of new vs old tooling, and in particular objections that old tooling gets used for newly made models. However, the amount of new tools brought into use in the past 15 years vastly outstrips the new models of the previous 30 years. Hornby have actually invested in replacing many of their obsolete tools - e.g. BoB/WC, A3, A4, M7, class 56 etc. However, their long and illustrious history means that there are a lot of items in their back catalogue, and if they feel they can make use of and sell a model, that is up to them - just as I have free choice whether to buy or otherwise! Bachmann do not have access to 40+ year old tools for their range, but certain items such as the V2 or even the shortly to be superceded Warship illustrate that they are perfectly willing to use what they have to hand if they consider that there is a market.  

Rob.

I have had an initial look at this, and the list is very long.

I have a visit from the Hornby rep. on Tuesday and one of the questions I have is will they deliver everything that is due, my feeling is not, but I want to hear what they have to say.

I shall report back after the visit.

Thankyou for that. I see Carlisle mentioned below your name and will think of you when I photograph this Hornby model which I bought today, a 12A Carlisle engine in later BR steam days, and overlooked as among Hornby's finest models in terms of detailing.

Clans might have been somewhat unloved, but as an example of RTR 00 modelling, this is in my opinion quite extraordinary. No doubt more photos from me will appear somewhere, these are the vendor's pictures slightly cropped.

post-7929-0-83042100-1380485294.jpg

post-7929-0-31879600-1380485323.jpg

post-7929-0-27595700-1380485408.jpg

Interesting thread, which made me ask a few questions........

Why aren't some of the people who've commented in this thread running Hornby Manufacturing?

Why do people on here make it sound so easy to just move production facilities out in the Far East?

First of all the Chinese production issues. How many of those who've criticised Hornby on here for their production issues have actually spent any time in the Far East trying to arrange any kind of production? Or even done any kind of business out there? It's not as simple as just moving a factory or retraining a workforce, it's FAR more complicated than that. The language barrier, the training, the culture, everything is different. Asian culture is very much about saving face, criticism is a very dirty thing out there and can cause untold problems if not handled right. The Asian way is to avoid conflict and agree with the paymaster at all costs, even if the paymasters requirements are ignored or only semi-implemented for whatever reason. And this is barely touching the surface in regards to difficulties and differences working out there. I could write much more on this subject having lived and worked in the Far East for a number of years, both dealing with production and training of local staff. Let me tell you it was the most challenging role I've ever done in civilian life!!

And why all the demanding and moaning about Hornby ranges and tooling? If you think you could make a better model, sell it in the quantity needed to justify the investment, and at a price that competes with Hornby and the rival companies, then why aren't you doing it? I mean let's face it, Hornby don't monitor their market do they? Or ask what customers would like? Or have an idea how much a model will cost to develop compared to predicted sales and return on investment? Of course they don't, but we as modellers and customers know all that stuff don't we? No. We as customers see what we want to see, we view things with the passion of people perusing their hobby and not with a multi-million pound 80+ year old business and all the experience that comes with it.

Give Hornby a break, they are facing tough conditions at a time when the world is facing tough market conditions. If we as modellers don't support them, and continue to moan and slate what they are doing, then we may as well consign them to the Lima pile. And we'd only have ourselves to blame if that happened.

Mark

Why aren't some of the people who've commented in this thread running Hornby Manufacturing?

Give Hornby a break, they are facing tough conditions at a time when the world is facing tough market conditions. If we as modellers don't support them, and continue to moan and slate what they are doing, then we may as well consign them to the Lima pile. And we'd only have ourselves to blame if that happened.

I can't speak for all commenters, but I'm too busy running something else to run Hornby manufacturing, or any other for that matter.  Assuming Hornby are advertising for manufacturing managers, then I'm sure those with the appropriate qualifications on here who wish to take up the challenge will be sending in their CVs.

As for supporting Hornby, I am doing my bit, splashing out a couple of hundred quid this month on steam locos, and heaping praise on them in public forum.  Sadly these are from the aftermarket though, because I'm unable to buy from their dealer network directly, as the stock simply wasn't in the shops.  What was in the shops was simply of no relevance to me.  Based on the foregoing, I'm struggling to see how that's my fault.

I think it is important we discuss the failings of Hornby, if "we" can create 15 pages of discussion in 17 days then clearly there are problems.

The delays in getting products to market are extremely annoying and they will be costing Hornby money. In hindsight, all to often have delayed products become products I haven't bought.Whilst Hornby are quite understandably having problems in China, we have been having these problems consistently for the past couple of years: Perhaps Hornby should stop promising us "jam tomorrow" every December and focus on getting its backlog cleared and realistic time frames set?

Possibly Hornby's main, and unspoken of problem, is that they have lost "us". Whilst Bachmann can do no wrong, there seems to be a growing perception that Hornby's products are often ill-chosen, outdated, overpriced and late. "Design Clever" doesn't seem to have gone down particularly well and howlers like the 4 VEP haven't helped. Good reputations are hard to gain and even harder to regain...

Interesting thread, which made me ask a few questions........

And why all the demanding and moaning about Hornby ranges and tooling?

Give Hornby a break,

Mark

Twenty years or so ago I might have been interested, not in running it, but in setting up some sort of quality system for them.

There is a heck of a lot of evidence that they do not have an effective set of procedures.

Having spent my working life in a manufacturing environment I do know a bit about tooling and how the expectations and perceptions of the customers should interact with what is being produced.

Why?

As the market leader customer expectation will be very high and the company ought to be able to meet that expectation.

If it cannot it will eventually go down the pan.

Just an example of the approach of another company. In the DIY field as it happens but the principle holds good.

In their retail outlets a shelf of products must never be full, but on the other hand never so low as to eat into the last quarter.

The customer perceives the company to be stable by doing this.

Simple things like this count for a lot, especially in hard economic times.

Half a dozen such points taken together soon build up an image.

Hornby sadly at present fail on so many points.

I did write some time ago that Hornby generate so much comment for the simple reason that deep down we all love 'em to bits.

They do need to get their act together and drop this nonsense of "design clever" and "railroad" for example and get back to first principles with some joined up thinking.

Let's start with "under promise and over achieve".

Bernard

I think it is important we discuss the failings of Hornby, if "we" can create 15 pages of discussion in 17 days then clearly there are problems.

My conclusion from the same would be that clearly there are people who like discussing the same issue time and again, and that clearly it's not one with a simple answer ... :)

A fair point, but the debate does still indicate a strength of feeling about the delays and Hornby's current dealings. I would definitely stand by my point of Hornby having lost a lot of "our" support.

To put a slightly different spin on the issue, is Hornby trying too hard to appease shareholders? By saying to the shareholders, who have faced repeated yearly profit warnings,  "we are going to increase the number of popular, high end express steam engines, whilst entering the thriving N gauge market and expanding our budget ranges," it all sounds fantastic, with proven markets being expanded upon with new, exciting and popular product lines all of which sounds great to their investors: Despite the fact that they are going to struggle to get any of it out on time. The net result being, China can't deliver what Hornby has promised and the customers are left fustratedly waiting for products that are delayed by many months.

Twenty years or so ago I might have been interested, not in running it, but in setting up some sort of quality system for them.

There is a heck of a lot of evidence that they do not have an effective set of procedures.

Edited for space

Bernard

I agree completely with the rest of your post, but this bit is important.

Apart from Hornby paying for a member of staff from the UK to be based in China at the factory for an extended period of time, I fail to see how they could improve their current system. And as someone who was based in the Far East for this exact reason I can tell you it was bloody expensive!! During my initial month out there my cost to my company was over £10,000. That's ONE person for ONE month just to make sure that a product is manufactured correctly. I spent 2 years travelling between Asia and UK, in my absence another member of staff was sent to replace me, and even now 3 years later I know my previous company still have at least one member of staff out there.

This does NOT indicate a manufacturing problem, or a training problem. For us the hardest obstacle to overcome was the culture problem. Here isn't the time or place to discuss the difference in cultures between us in the UK and people we ask to work for us in Asia, that's a subject that could easily raise 20+ pages of discussion on its own if we had input from local Chinese or Asian modellers. But from my experience this is the biggest hurdle Hornby are struggling to overcome. They are telling their factory they want things done like 'this' but the difference in culture is meaning it is being done like 'that'. Due to the pre-release sample then having to be sent to the UK, inspected, amended, sent back to China with new instructions, rebuilt, sent back to the UK....... And so on. It's not a bad system, just slow. But if you want it faster then we as modellers have to pay for it in the cost increase per model for Hornby to have a member of staff sat in China doing not much of anything.

Mark

They are telling their factory they want things done like 'this' but the difference in culture is meaning it is being done like 'that'.

Good post. I agree this is one of the key problems in respect of delays to product development (as opposed to doing the 'production run' itself), but it does beg the question as to what is specified about the 'this' which manifests itself into 'that'. My strong suspicion, and it is not confined to Hornby, is that far too much of the specification is being left to the factory: they might have to guess how many spokes are on a wheel, or what the shape of a particular body feature is, or what the tolerance on the back-to-back is, or exactly where the insignia should be placed, etc etc.

They are telling their factory they want things done like 'this' but the difference in culture is meaning it is being done like 'that'. Due to the pre-release sample then having to be sent to the UK, inspected, amended, sent back to China with new instructions, rebuilt, sent back to the UK....... And so on. It's not a bad system, just slow. But if you want it faster then we as modellers have to pay for it in the cost increase per model for Hornby to have a member of staff sat in China doing not much of anything.

Mark

This can work, but only if the UK R&D is right in the first place.  I had this problem when I first started working for Britains.  The cost delays in getting things right were continually being pressured by the 'surely that's good enough' factions in the management.  Understandable but short sighted.  Sales for sets that were basically badly wrong didn't go well, but the nature of the production time slots, shipping, packaging problems, and shop/customer feedback meant that it took some time before 'the management' would accept the situation.

Hornby we all know have made some blunders in the past, this compounded by their production difficulties and management changes has left them in a potentially perilous place.  Commercial confidentiality is one thing, but failing to communicate with outlets about their real situation could be, I feel, fatal.  There appears to be a generally perceived impression that the management of Hornby is floundering about and failing to keep at least this particular ball in the air, and shops seem to be, again understandably, voting Bachmann with their orders..

It irks me when people say if you don't like it open your own company!! They are supposed to be the experts, my hard earned dollars go to making the company successful. If they have nothing for me to buy or there are issues with production as a consumer I have the right to voice my opinions/concerns. 

Or, to quote the immortal Samuel Johnson, when James Boswell asked whether it would be vain to criticise a tragedy if one could not write one near so good: ”Why no, Sir, this is not just reasoning. You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables.”

I agree completely with the rest of your post, but this bit is important.

Apart from Hornby paying for a member of staff from the UK to be based in China at the factory for an extended period of time, I fail to see how they could improve their current system. And as someone who was based in the Far East for this exact reason I can tell you it was bloody expensive!! During my initial month out there my cost to my company was over £10,000. That's ONE person for ONE month just to make sure that a product is manufactured correctly. I spent 2 years travelling between Asia and UK, in my absence another member of staff was sent to replace me, and even now 3 years later I know my previous company still have at least one member of staff out there.

This does NOT indicate a manufacturing problem, or a training problem. For us the hardest obstacle to overcome was the culture problem. Here isn't the time or place to discuss the difference in cultures between us in the UK and people we ask to work for us in Asia, that's a subject that could easily raise 20+ pages of discussion on its own if we had input from local Chinese or Asian modellers. But from my experience this is the biggest hurdle Hornby are struggling to overcome. They are telling their factory they want things done like 'this' but the difference in culture is meaning it is being done like 'that'. Due to the pre-release sample then having to be sent to the UK, inspected, amended, sent back to China with new instructions, rebuilt, sent back to the UK....... And so on. It's not a bad system, just slow. But if you want it faster then we as modellers have to pay for it in the cost increase per model for Hornby to have a member of staff sat in China doing not much of anything.

Mark

Hi Mark,

If the phone call came, and it didn't unfortunately, I could have implemented certain things that would have put in place a single factory (not the 5/6 that Hornby are currently using I believe) along with a new way of doing things for both Hornby AND the Chinese, so that although a model might cost (depending on how much money you want to make out of old and new tools) slightly more to make, we are only talking a pound or less per model.

It wouldn't need anyone out there for any more time than a week every 3/4 months.

However I wouldn't have raised prices to do it, as better production and QC 'should' lead to higher sales and ergo more profit / turnover.

When your the master of your own destiny then life gets a lot easier.

There was lots more I could have done, but alas no fingers did any dialling.

Cheers

Dave

I know when a family member who used to work in the toy industry first went to China, in the late 90s, he said the Chinese had made Engineering Prototype British Police/Fire Vehicles with red instead of blue lights and it was these sort of minor but well intentioned mistakes that lead to delays. In the end the firm sent exploded diagrams clearly showing in Mandarin and English what the finished item should look like while the engineering specification for each item was that highly specified that it attempted to remove any possibility for production going 'off piste'.  

Possibly Hornby's main, and unspoken of problem, is that they have lost "us". Whilst Bachmann can do no wrong, there seems to be a growing perception that Hornby's products are often ill-chosen, outdated, overpriced and late. "Design Clever" doesn't seem to have gone down particularly well and howlers like the 4 VEP haven't helped. Good reputations are hard to gain and even harder to regain...

A very pertinent point. This is something I've felt for a while and it isn't 'Hornby bashing' to feel they are floundering I know the point they 'lost' me and the upshot of it is Bachmann got several hundred pounds of my money for two A4s even though Hornby would of got twice as much but instead choose to represent the Great Gathering to just 510 collectors.   

I don't mind waiting and I don't mind having to pay but I object to waiting and waiting and never hearing anything but slipped delivery dates without someone just saying 'sorry this year's model of 'x' is delayed due to.....' you sometimes see in the national press adverts by major companies 'we are currently having problems with x' something like that in the model press would be a start. 

A very interesting thread. My own experience of far east industry is with Japanese culture and language, back in the early 80s when we in NZ were establishing a lot of trade ties, similar to today with NZ having a free-trade agreement with China. Mutual respect was everything, and Americans were notably pretty poor at comprehending Japanese ideas of etiquette. The image of the loud Californian or Texan all sweat and handshakes comes to mind. Certainly many of us could write a great deal about the far east.

Mutual respect, Mandarin and English, exploded diagrams, and many smiles will go a long way, but I don't think Hornby need advice from me.

Moving quickly along to current and recent Hornby models, and I do hope Hornby find capable production somewhere sometime soon, I have been buying second-hand and receiving the benefit of UK weathering on several purchases, which in the case below cost about £50 more than a mint Hornby donor model would cost. I showed a Clan class bought from the same vendor earlier, and I think it is worth it.

For this unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific, 34041 'Wilton', the route discs will need to be raised. I don't think it would be easy to mass produce this quality of finish, or maybe you could do it... for what it's worth the basic engine is still typically available s/h for around £100 often less, so even while Hornby are having troubles, I am enjoying their models. Full marks to Hornby for exhaustive detailing kit of parts supplied with these models, full brake rigging, sundry hoses, many route discs, narrow cab variant done, later BR cut-down tender done, front steps very fine included, full cylinder pipes not included but can be found or made as aftermarket detail, shades of the future of super detailing?

Wilton photos adapted from photos by linesideandlocos

post-7929-0-57779500-1380573196.jpg

post-7929-0-24247100-1380573223.jpg

post-7929-0-59682900-1380573279.jpg

post-7929-0-60074700-1380573304.jpg

post-7929-0-89495800-1380573326.jpg

edit; oh, and just by way of stirring the pot, here is an example of 00 RTR quality from the same era (c2003) from competitor Bachmann, somewhat photo-edited by me. (Just another excuse for me to show off lovely models, really.) oh, and the front steps and cylinder drain pipes are borrowed off a Hornby Britannia for my photo.

This model was medium-weathered by TMC and cost about £125 from memory, less VAT me being in NZ.

post-7929-0-47351800-1380586797.jpg

I know I sound like a cracked record, but we consumers are well-served, and it will be fascinating to see which companies manage best the rising costs of production.

Rob

As promised, a report on when new items are due from Hornby.

The visit from my Hornby rep. revealed nothing that would give me any more confidence that the expected arrival dates will be honoured. 'Margate are doing all they can to overcome the problems'. Obviously, we are aware of dates moving onwards in the past.

The list below is in reference number order, and gives the description and the expected arrival date into Hornby - note this date is usually at the beginning of the relevant week, and Hornby will then need to do QC checks and despatch the products, so actual arrival in the shops will usually be several days later than the date given.

As said earlier, the list is long, and several items that are standard within the range (track packs, train sets, building packs, switches etc.) have been removed.

R1171,      FLIGHT OF THE MALLARD,              14/10/2013

R1172,      THE e-LINK MAJESTIC CONTROL,        29/10/2013

R2672,      CALEDONIAN RLWYS 0-4-0 BLUE,        14/10/2013

R2784X,     BR CLASS A4 MALLARD,                29/11/2013

R2920X,     LNER CLASS B17/1 'SANDRINGHAM',     25/12/2013

R3019,      BR (LATE) GRANGE CLASS WEATHERED,   06/12/2013

R3099,      GREEN NRM FLYING SCOTSMAN,          25/12/2013

R3103,      BR BITTERN DOUBLE TENDER SP ED,     25/12/2013

R3105,      GWR CASTLE WELLINGTON (S'CHIMNEY),  16/12/2013

R3114,      BR (LATE) B1 61270,                 06/12/2013

R3115,      BR UNREBUILT WEST COUNTRY EXETER,   16/12/2013

R3118,      BR CASTLE 'PENRICE CASTLE',         09/12/2013