Essex Express

• RMweb Gold

It was covered in detail in the March issue of Rail Express, NR granted access to the photographer including internal shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjw2/sets/72157691738384861/

It had been reported that it had been removed late last year but it hasn't moved for years. That siding was also used by Freightliner Class 66's which were acting as Thunderbirds during the realignment works at Shenfield (see post 312 onwards).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just caught up with this thread again - being from Essex and modelling the GEML in the early 2000s, I'm wondering if anyone has any photos or videos of Anglia 86s on mk2s? Have some fond memories of 86s and then of 47s 818/714 as thunderbirds dragging the turquoise mk2s!

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hi Will, I do but few in Essex (therefore largely off topic). Some are on this site but I'm on mobile and a search is a faf. If you have no joy with a search yourself, I'll pm you some.

C6T.

Time on my hands, here you go: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59083-norwich-to-liverpool-st-anglia-86-mk2-formation/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Classsix T

Hi Will, I do but few in Essex (therefore largely off topic). Some are on this site but I'm on mobile and a search is a faf. If you have no joy with a search yourself, I'll pm you some.

C6T.

Time on my hands, here you go: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59083-norwich-to-liverpool-st-anglia-86-mk2-formation/?fromsearch=1

Some seriously good photos on there thanks for sharing! I really like the mix of Anglia and intercity stock - something I will definitely have to model

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw a container train with 4x 86 on the front. Did not get a chance to photo or see if all the pans were up, but it was a nice prototype for everything moment and all four appeared to be in the same livery!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Suzie said:

Saw a container train with 4x 86 on the front. Did not get a chance to photo or see if all the pans were up, but it was a nice prototype for everything moment and all four appeared to be in the same livery!

I saw it at Mistley. Two were under power and two were being dragged. Obviously a loco transfer without needing a separate booked path.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Suzie said:

1 hour ago, Baby Deltic said:

I saw it at Mistley. Two were under power and two were being dragged. Obviously a loco transfer without needing a separate booked path.

Or it could have been a breakdown needing a drag.

• RMweb Premium

It's Walton Pier. You can - just - see the Naze Tower in the right hand background.  I also love seeing shots of the 309's in Maroon. So I made my own 4-car unit. Brings happy memories.

816129710_RMweb08.jpg.73243fee28e22ab5f20364ec93ea8159.jpg

1361058387_RMweb22.jpg.d39243d1158967ee29fe2d88206df5af.jpg

I'm just finishing a 2-car 309 in blue/grey for more memories....

Izzy

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2020 at 23:21, Suzie said:

... and I saw a container train with 3 x 86 on the front on Friday. It went through Chelmsford towards Stratford at around 13:20 while I was waiting for a slow train to Ipswich.

Two had pans up, the third was being dragged. I was spotting these on the WCML in the 1970s. Edit: though I imagine what I saw then was completely different inside. They are having a very good innings.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 23:21, Suzie said:

Seems a fairly frequent occurrence - the 86s usually work in pairs and the second “set” is a balancing working.  So far I’ve only seen such workings going in the direction of Felixstowe.  I photographed a couple of such “quadruple-headers” prior to Lockdown.

_3G5A0406.JPG.ccfcfabc7eb3fdf230368f4c88b08a90.JPG

86610 leads 86638, 86622 and 86609 on 454H 07:18 Crewe Basford Hall - Felixstowe North through Romford, 2nd December 2019.

Worth joining one of the IO “gen” groups for advance warning of what’s coming.

Edited by EddieB
Added photo.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/06/2020 at 14:11, lmsforever said:

Walton the Naze is like going back to fifties again  went there a few yeas ago for a visit to the RNLI with my buddies from the education dept RNLI .

I was brought up on the Colchester-Clacton line.

A day out to the beach was always Walton, not Clacton. Most locals considered Walton a nicer location.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A day out to the beach was always Walton, not Clacton. Most locals considered Walton a nicer location.

My Grandparents lived in Frinton - Walton was a very regular visit, Clacton very rare indeed.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Saw an unrefurbed dusty being towed by a a 57 south from Marks Tey a while ago, I guess it was not just being rescued.

Still seeing 360s and unrefurbed dustys being used, I would have thought that the new trains would have been displacing some of these, or is someone trying to squeeze the maximum mileage out of the old stuff and saving the refurbed dustys...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2020 at 17:22, Pete the Elaner said:

On 29/06/2020 at 18:06, Baby Deltic said:

Better pier and rides too.

Typical Colchester snobs.

The pie and mash shop in Walton use to be OK.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I obviously come from a poor family - we used to go to Clacton!

At least we didn't need to change trains, the chips and pier were great and it was good enough for my parents honeymoon...........

A few days in 1949.....

I do like both Frinton and Walton as I have family connections despite coming from Brentwood and now living on a world heritage coast.

• Like 2