Heljan class 60

steve fay

I do like the underframe dirt, with respect I do agree the bodyside is a little heavy - but if you like I then that's the main thing.

60037 certainly is a popular loco lol

Did you use the Heljan supplied transfers?

Great Western

Might end up toning the body side down a bit,having said that when you start looking at images of the 60's there are some with a lot more grime than that.

post-21540-0-81379700-1513373938.jpg

Yeah,I used the supplied transfers.

Modelman.

Edited by modelman14
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong it looks good, depends on how work stained you want it.

I quite fancy a bit of iron ore dust the cab roof.

I recall seeing an image of a 60 with one cab covered in cement,and a propper good covering,must have been an open hopper as the loco passed under.Dosnt seem to matter what you do there will always be a real life example..

Modelman

• 1 month later...

A quick question for you all with triple grey class 60s.  Have any of you had any reaction when applying varnish over the Heljan paint?

By reaction I mean bubbling, crinkling or the like in the varnish.  The reason I ask is this was apparently a problem with some batches

of 31s and 37s. Pretty much any varnish used would react. 

I'm at the stage where I need to seal in the decals I've applied to my 60 and I'd rather not have any nasty surprises!

Some stuff from 'The Range' DIY store it was recommended by one of the lads on the O Gauge Facebook Group, good stuff to be fair I just need to mask correctly next time.

On a side note, has anyone brought a 60 from Hattons since Xmas - are the issues with running and body damage/marks still slipping out, I'm considering another one but really don't want to have to mess about returning it or driving up there again to quality control them.

Some stuff from 'The Range' DIY store it was recommended by one of the lads on the O Gauge Facebook Group, good stuff to be fair I just need to mask correctly next time.

On a side note, has anyone brought a 60 from Hattons since Xmas - are the issues with running and body damage/marks still slipping out, I'm considering another one but really don't want to have to mess about returning it or driving up there again to quality control them.

Thanks.

I got a good one at the third attempt in the end. Even then I had to reattach most of the cab glazing but that wasn't too bad to do.

Got my class 128 DPU to go back now as that grinds away running in one direction (though perfectly quiet in the other). Really wish they'd

tighten up on the quality control a bit tbh.

Yes I bought one and the glazing arrived broken off on one cab end plus the control desk. Also suffers from loose lamp irons - bit of glue n glaze sorted the first out not got around to the lamp irons yet. Black marks on one end - little bit of rubbing alcohol removed them no issues. They wanted me to return it for replacement but had already fitted sound by that point!  :jester:

Dear Heljan please don't print double arrows ! The sods don't come off, and are to big for etched replacements to cover.

Yes I agree.

With their various blue diesels I normally have to change their double arrows for smaller ones as by 1980 (my modelling period) that was what was used. Removing them isn't always straightforward.

They have now started printing TOPS data panels on their new blue diesels but these are the older style ones so I have to remove them and change them for Precision versions (which are slightly smaller!) so you can't simply put them over the top.

On the class 40 they printed the double arrows crooked on one end or sometimes too high up as on the class 55 Deltic.

I suppose they perceive they are producing a better looking model but for the genuine modeller who puts in a lot of work on an engine to turn it hopefully into something special I just wish they would miss them off altogether and allow us to sort them out ourselves.

Deltic17

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That's an impressive looking line-up.

Did you tell the missus,it works out cheaper if you buy the full set,or was it a "buy 1 get 1 free" offer. Lol

Could i please ask whose trackwork you are using ??? as i'm very New to the world of O gauge.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Heljan have announced a nee batch of their O gauge Class 60s.

Two if them are part of the Gaugemaster Collection. 

IMG_20201111_225532.jpg.11e8c8fdcdc7d8f8f708055c99328486.jpg

IMG_20201111_225606.jpg.ca65fa768d4048349e2fd69c2217a3cb.jpg

if Heljan can do all of the recent liveries among the above it is a shame and surely a missed opportunity for Hornby and us that they still haven’t done them on their 00 version..