Heljan class 60

steve fay

12 hours ago, njee20 said:

Distinct lack of photos here, so I’ll remedy that with a hasty phone snap, as I’m a bit like a child at Christmas and couldn’t resist throwing stuff together on the carpet!

My one O gauge loco, with my one O gauge wagon on my one piece of O gauge track. Already got an HYA ‘shorty’ hopper I’ve done a test print of, with other wagons more appropriate for the 66 to follow in due course! Now to work out where in the garden the railway goes!

2E255748-F914-4F06-AE1B-29963719E1C9.jpeg.85d39be4269c89131e7d121c29cf3dcc.jpeg

We need some more photos of these Nick. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers! I recall I've got a thread somewhere for the IIA, I printed it about a year ago! Turns out it's a bit small, certainly didn't look it!

I'll find/create one in due course, planning to upscale all of the N gauge CADs in the fullness of time. I need to spend time adding the extra detail like panel lines which would be stupidly overscale in N.

• 5 months later...

Rails have all the remaining Class 60s at a reduced price at the moment, including the so called specials of 081 and the DC Rail models.

Have they sold well or will be see another flash sale like last time with models at sun £300 to clear ?

Im also a little confused as the specials 081, 006 and 033 where marketed as shop exclusives but they appeared to be open general sale before release ? 

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2022 at 00:32, Courtybella said:

Have they sold well or will be see another flash sale like last time with models at sun £300 to clear ?

Nearly every 7mm release drops in price if you are prepared to wait, then rockets once they have sold out. A few things sell out fast, eg class 50, but its not that common.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

On 26/05/2022 at 00:32, Courtybella said:

Im also a little confused as the specials 081, 006 and 033 where marketed as shop exclusives but they appeared to be open general sale before release ? 

From Memory 60081 was always a Gaugemaster Exclusive and 6 & 33 were initially for KMS but for whatever reason weren't taken up so I think they just became general releases. You also have to remember that Gaugemaster are the Heljan Distributer in the UK so if they want to distribute their exclusives its their call.  

8 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Can someone help me with pointing out a suitable decoder for the 60? I have no experience with O Gauge beyond buying 60081. 

You need something like a ESU V5 Loksound XL if fitting sound. Available currently in stock at DC kits

On 01/06/2022 at 10:06, Hilux5972 said:

Not fitting sound at this point. 

Have a look on YouTube for Hither Green in O gauge, the chap on there has fitted his 60s with sound he does great pretty much step by step guides extremely helpful chap as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courtybella said:

Have a look on YouTube for Hither Green in O gauge, the chap on there has fitted his 60s with sound he does great pretty much step by step guides extremely helpful chap as well.

yes me. I already advised the requirement for an XL chip 😁

Edited by 47606odin
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, 47606odin said:

how’s your layout? Not seen an update recently 

Coming along nicely, the channel is on hold for the moment. I’ll be doing some videos once I get a new tripod for my iPad.

I tend to post over on western thunder now since the serve issues here.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Any one fitted a Hornby sound chip

( not tts) from their 4mm model into a Heljan o gauge class 60?.

Always liked the Hornby class 60 sound when I could see 4mm and modeled it !

Thus my latest or at least soon to be purchase, 60081 will need sound and I'm hoping the Hornby sound chip will be an option ??

At best I'm thinking it will never haul more than 6 - 8 wagons.

10 hours ago, Piemanlarger said:

Thus my latest or at least soon to be purchase, 60081 will need sound and I'm hoping the Hornby sound chip will be an option ??

the Heljan locos require too much power

22 hours ago, Piemanlarger said:

11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

the Heljan locos require too much power

If you are only pulling 6 - 8 wagons then you could take out the second motor to reduce current draw  which tends to bring it down below 1 amp which maybe be more manageable but you would need to check what the chip is rated for. Both of my Heljan diesels are single motored to allow me to use a feedback controller for better slow running.

• Like 1

Are there any running issues with Heljan class 60 to look for?

I'm getting I.K.B. but it's sat on a shelf for about 4 years, so new old stock.

I don't know much about 0 gauge modern image but have heard some Heljan classes had lots of running problems?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Piemanlarger said:

have heard some Heljan classes had lots of running problems?

This resurfaces periodically on most Heljan threads as some older models had an issue. I don't recall hearing the 60 was one of those affected but there is a list on the following thread (and numerous other discussions if you search)

As an aside I noticed IKB on ebay the other day but the asking price of these 60s is staggering given the discounted price the original batch got down to.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My IKB arrived with a broken Bogie retention post, but it did travel to New Zealand. Gaugemaster are the spares dealer so they sorted it pretty quickly for me. No running issues though. 

• 6 months later...
On 05/05/2023 at 12:39, 37114 said:

If you are only pulling 6 - 8 wagons then you could take out the second motor to reduce current draw  which tends to bring it down below 1 amp which maybe be more manageable but you would need to check what the chip is rated for. Both of my Heljan diesels are single motored to allow me to use a feedback controller for better slow running.

Finally, I hope to be picking up my class 60 next week.

It has to be sound fitted, but paying over £200 for an xl chip is a bit off putting.

I may well take one motor out and see if a smaller Zimo will handle it.

Most it's likley to do is 8 - 10 Turbots on a test track.

I've got an o gauge Gwr 2-8-2 with a huge can motor that a 00 scale zimo works fine in, had it up over 50 wagons on test track.

Now to remember who's class 60 sound video I saw I liked lol.

I think it was a Paul chetter one from somewhere !

• Like 1

On 14/05/2023 at 07:27, Hilux5972 said:

My IKB arrived with a broken Bogie retention post, but it did travel to New Zealand. Gaugemaster are the spares dealer so they sorted it pretty quickly for me. No running issues though. 

The bogie retention post is a definite weak point, I had to replace one on mine and ended up buying a couple so I have some spares.