Mainline 14T ICI tank wagons

I was wondering what the 14T ICI tank wagons as produced previously by Mainline and more recently by Bachmann would have carried and where they would have worked to/from. Up until what sort of date would these have still been working?

Thanks

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

I typed up 'ICI Tank Wagons' on Yahoo and found a couple of links on pages two and (I think) four.

There is a passage on tank usage and liveries and alot of useful info, all on Class A and Class B and what chemicals went in what class of tank etc., but to my knowledge the dark greeny blue colour or white was used for tankers carrying Caustic licquors.

I for one will follow this question thread as I hope some more info will come to light...I've often wondered whether some of the wagon colours they were modelled in bore any truth to the prototypes.

Jules

I was wondering what the 14T ICI tank wagons as produced previously by Mainline and more recently by Bachmann would have carried and where they would have worked to/from. Up until what sort of date would these have still been working?

Thanks

Stu

Stu. please any more clues as to the livery you are discussing - link to a photo of the model would help. There were hundreds of ICI 14Ton tank wagons.

Paul

York

• 2 weeks later...

Stu. please any more clues as to the livery you are discussing - link to a photo of the model would help. There were hundreds of ICI 14Ton tank wagons.

Paul

York

Sorry, thought my description was enough. It's the one shown here: http://www.mainliner...979/WagonsC.jpg - page actually says used for carrying caustic soda. However, I'd still like to know where they got to and during which period.

I'd also like to know what kind of products caustic soda is/was used to produce - I think washing powder is one but what others might there be?

Finally, is the livery correct i.e. should the solebars in fact be orange?

Thanks

Stu

I may be wrong, but I think they were used by ICI Mond Division out of Folly Lane, Runcorn for Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide). As far as I know the duty was handled by locos allocated from Edge Hill & Birkenhead Mollington Street.

• 3 years later...

What shade/reference, if any, was the blue colour that was used by ICI for their caustic soda and hydrochloric acid tanks? I'm talking about the tanks that were built in the 1960s by Standard Wagon and surviving in traffic through the 80s. Is the colour available for the modeller?

Any help would be useful. 

Archived