York 2014

john new

I enjoyed operating New Bryford but I found the following outrageous and I'll complain bitterly to the show organisers.

1/. Too much yellow on New Bryford

2/. Trains were too small on Grahames Stoney Lane Depot

3/. I had to walk upstairs to get a cup of tea

4/. The sun was shining

5/. The York show was held inYork

6/. Charlie Petty was actually on his stand.

7/. 99.9% of the people I spoke to were actually enjoying themselves

This should not be allowed

Have fun, it's only a hobby

Both Ann and I went to the Show on Saturday, by Train, it was a wonderful day for us to travel to York by Train, visit the Exhibition and a walk around the City, was like the old days when one could do such things regularly, I just want to thank all who were involved with that,

I thought the Show was great, lots to look at and plenty of trade and very nice people to chat to.

In my opinion, value for money, quality layouts and more for the price of a takeaway for one. :-)

cheers

Peter

I must of been at a different show then, went in at 10.15 and was still there at 4.30. One of the layouts which stood out for me was Portchullin, simply first class and a brilliant representation of the Kyle line. To all exhibitors, traders and organisers, a very well done.

Just to confirm, Charlie has been spotted behind his stand this afternoon!

Also noticed that Nobby's post above has been printed out and pinned up in the exhibitors tearoom...

Off for an ice cream now.

Did you see the strange sight of Charlie parting with money, folding money at that! As to him being on his stand, I can vouch for that. Hospital Gates was within range. Bless you Charles, the hobby needs more like you. Now if that doesn't get me a discount, the good folks of Hull may see something they really didn't want to see in Hammonds window!  :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Apart from cake, did anyone take any photos at the exhibition (asking as one who couldn't be there due to work/family commitments)?

I'll be able to put some up in a day or two

Chris

• RMweb Premium

It's a good job I had other reasons to fully justify my visit, but I found no model railway "wow!" factor.

You must have been at different show than the one I visited; The York Show is up there with one of the best, something for everyone.

• RMweb Gold

I spent most of Sunday there. It was my first York Show and I thought it was excellent in all respects, I had bought an Advance ticket so breezed in at 9.45. Layouts were interesting with some real winners, I also enjoyed the Moming exhibits. Trade certainly met my needs, catering was reasonably priced with no queuing. the opportunity to rest and recuperate by many of the doors overlooking the race course was fantastic and I seriously thought about going back today (but I went to see the Derwent Valley Light Railway running instead). 

Well done to all involved - we planned a weekend away to include the show and it was more than justified.

Chris

• Administrators

Hmmmm, not sure about the VERY expensive cake (and premium price but average quality coffee) myself. If the chocolate cake was good then certainly the "coffee and walnut" was seriously deficient. Little taste of coffee in the sponge and few walnuts, but a surprising amount of CARROTT bulking out the mixture, with no right to be there in the first place! No generous layers of rich, coffee-flavoured butter-cream either, just a pale yellow sweet/tart cheap imitation of of proper butter cream, a bit like "icing" that is put on the cheapest, nastiest, mass-produced "cakes". Delicious and hand-crafted it was NOT.

I wondered if it was just my parochial tastes in model railways causing dissatisfaction in that respect too, but as somebody else has now commented elsewhere about far too many "ironing board set-ups" and not enough "proper layouts" I'll say I agree with that sentiment too.

It's a good job I had other reasons to fully justify my visit, but I found no model railway "wow!" factor.

You were unlucky with the cake. So as to fully test the fascilities, I tried an orange and cranberry slice late in the day. This was also very good and 2 of my "five a day". It's no surprise that the cakes are mass-produced. Were every visitor like me, they would need around 16,000 slices to satisfy the demand. You can't knock those out in your kitchen unless it's a commericial one with machines and production lines. Price-wise, tea or a large bottle of orange juice and a cake was around the 4 quid mark. That's about average for exhibition hall catering, especially with the number of staff ensuring that the place was always clean and tidy.

By "ironing board set-ups" I'm assuming you mean the MOMING14@York display of minimum gauge layouts on the top floor. For me it was the highlight of the day with lashings of high-quality and imaginative modelling on display that owed little to RTR and lots to people crafting things from scratch. The trouble with this is it's subjective - I was inspired but anyone who prefers big trains thrashing around would be disapointed. Having said there, there was some of the later on the ground floor but as I'd seen most of those layouts several times I wasn't too worried that I didn't have much time to spend in front of them even though I think Portchullin is fantastic and Leicester South (to name but two) amazing.

i was there on Sunday, spent a load of cash, met lots of people and had the contents of my shopping bag photographed.  No, this was not down to an over zealous security goon but the result of a chance remark to one of the guys on the Scalefour Society stand.  All may be revealed in due course or then again may not.  I bought no cake but enjoyed the two cuppas up in the penthouse restaurant where the pile on the carpet is deeper than on the VSOE set.  When hunger struck i resorted to my self-made corned beef and pickle sandwiches lovingly encased in clingfilm to preserve the limited freshness that comes with Tesco everyday value bread.

Three layouts took much of my viewing time.  I had not seen Moretonhampstead before but it was at once apparent that it was a near perfect replica.  The operators knew how to shunt and i say this because some do not!  I also liked my first sight of Stoke Gabriel, a very plausible bit of parallel universe based very heavily on Churston set in the mid 60s and well endowed with WR hydraulics.   Then of course there was Portchullin, always atmospheric and a textbook example of how to get sound right..

The layout of the show is nothing if not consistent.  Many of the trade stands appeared not to have gone home since last year, such was the identity of their location.  The short straw goes to the Scalefour Society whose stand was placed right by the Ladies.  There must be a gag about putting the P into P4 ...

Chris 

I suppose I might also add to my previous comments that by virtue of being a paying customer of the show on this occasion, I feel I have every right to comment on what was provided. I don't have to earn the right by demonstrating through my own efforts the "right" way to do things, especially when I have definitely sampled better offerings elsewhere, at similar or lower prices.

On another point, I did notice that a couple of layouts were spoilt for the viewer by virtue of the fact that they had turned up without ANY lighting rig of their own and were located in the gloom at the windowless rear of the ground floor, under the mezzanine tier.

This was the first exhibition I've attended in about 3 years. I attended on the Saturday and was immediately frustrated with the crowds. However, I had a little wander, spent some time watching layouts, had a coffee, and by then the crowds has dispersed a little and everything became more enjoyable.

Every layout was high quality. Now I'm used to little local exhibitions where the quality varies, but at York, every one was excellent. Obviously not everything was to my taste, but I was able to appreciate the modelling all the same. The demonstrations were also good, and very helpful!  The trade was varied enough to cater for most people, and I came away with more than I'd intended to get - except for a Noch puffer bottle which I couldn't find anywhere. 

As I attend very few shows, it was the first time I've seen most of what was on display. As I said, everything was very high quality, but a couple did stand out to me - it's personal opinion so please don't take any offence. The highlights for me were Portchullin, which I was excellently modelled, and as someone has mentioned, the sound was just right. It also had a perfect atmosphere about it.  While I enjoyed the operations on Portchullin, the stand out layout of the show in my eyes, in terms of modelling alone, was Hospital Gates. It really is stunning, and certainly the best 7mm layout I've seen. Anyway, I'll leave it there and add some pictures.

DSC00190_zps7f6313ca.jpg

DSC00189_zps3e5aa551.jpg

DSC00182_zps129e04e1.jpg

DSC00178_zps02f16495.jpg

DSC00176_zpsa9e74b6d.jpg

DSC00173_zps63523de0.jpg

I had a great day out, and was there from open until closing. There seemed to be a bit of a mix up with the buses after 5pm, and we ended up on an open top 'Tour of York' bus, the driver of which was kind enough to pick up the group of us at the bus stop. It was undoubtedly more fun than the other bus that would have been provided!

Chris

So GR King, the show or the cake wasn't quite to your taste......why are you telling the general railway modelling fraternity for? If you are dissatisfied, surely your comments would be better directed to the shows organising committee....as someone who exhibits no less than 5 ironing board layouts ( one will be at Sutton Coldfield next weekend) I take umbrage at your comment in an earlier post.....

So you didn't enjoy the exhibition, so be it. Why tell us- we dont care!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

It is a truism that you cannot please everyone, and in a hobby so subjective as railway modelling such extremes of opinion are to be expected. As such they can be easily ignored if you are in disagreement. Therefore there is no need to be offended.

As to the cake (if indeed it is relevant) perhaps the complaint should have been directed at the caterer who could if they so wished have refunded the purchase price.

I find life is full of such disappointments but I came to a realisation long ago that you just have to let the odd cake go. Life is just to short. 

It is a truism that you cannot please everyone, and in a hobby so subjective as railway modelling such extremes of opinion are to be expected. As such they can be easily ignored if you are in disagreement. Therefore there is no need to be offended.

As to the cake (if indeed it is relevant) perhaps the complaint should have been directed at the caterer who could if they so wished have refunded the purchase price.

I find life is full of such disappointments but I came to a realisation long ago that you just have to let the odd cake go. Life is just to short. 

Consider such as I who loves cakes in any combination of mixtures but if I am to keep my weight down, I know I must look longingly at them and walk on by!  :O

....as someone who exhibits no less than 5 ironing board layouts ( one will be at Sutton Coldfield next weekend) I take umbrage at your comment in an earlier post.....

So you didn't enjoy the exhibition, so be it. Why tell us- we dont care!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Any ideas what the cake will be like at Sutton Coldfield...? I like good cake as much as the next person, but can't see the point in giving kudos to either a poor attempt at homemade cake, or mass produced factory cake that may be to an acceptable standard, but lacks the passion that only a master baker can add.

Archived