York 2014

john new

Another good york show with good range go quality layouts on show and some good prices from traders too such as the one of the last few platinum midland compound I picked up from locomotion models for only £120, there was still some left in case anyone was interested, and the black a4 available from there was a nice rare model to see too

Regards stuart

Does one know how to keep a low profile when one has a pony tail ' scissors not included' in the answer please :-) ?

Could always pretend to be the panto horse !! Your choice which part (no offence meant)

So am I still bringing that resin body for you, or will you not be there tomorrow?

I've asked you by e-mail too, so only one answer needed.

Edited to reveal my stupidity - of course you are there, you've already told me you're at the Gibson stand. I must read my e-mails properly and get a memory.......

Just back after a very full day and most enjoyable it turned out to be. York is one of those shows which rarely fails to inspire, layouts always cover a wide range of prototypes and interests and the standard is generally in the top 20% of exhibition layouts, there are rarely any there just to make up numbers. This year proved no exception and there were some real gems on show.

The trade seemed a little better this year, don't know why as it was the same as last year. I came home with everything I went for but nothing else, no tempters to part me from any of the folding stuff...although the Deltic on the Locomotion stand for £145 almost managed it.

Well worth the trip if you were pondering it in the next couple of days?

Went yesterday and had a great day. Lovely weather, easy parking and no queue. I don't know why, but there seems to be something unusually civilised about the York show, maybe something to do with the race course location, or the city being one of the finest in the UK, not to mention its key part in our railway heritage. Either way, I can't remember ever going to a bad one!

Good range of exhibits and traders as always, and particularly liked the Leicester South layout by the Shipley Model Railway Society. I paid this a couple of visits and came away kind of inspired by it - precisely why I go to shows. Thanks lads. I am also surprised by the inspiration I get from those scales and eras that do not normally draw my attention. I guess that's down to the high level of artistic creativity that so many put in to their work. I did wonder how many hours of work might be on show as a whole at one point, but decided not to go there!

As I said, great show, a big thanks from me to anyone involved in any way with the event; I really enjoyed it, and am already looking forward to next year!

Well yet another excellent York Show visited yesterday as normal a totally enjoyable day .

Was chatting with my fellow visitors on the way back home and being at the young age of 58 years young suddenly realised that having been taken to the York Show as an 8 year old on a day out from the choir school at Ripon its 50 years since my first visit to a York Model Railway Show, not the longest visitor I'm sure but still a milestone :sungum:

Excellent show, came back feeling invigorated to rebuild my own endeavours.

Caught sight of a blue Stove R on the N Gauge Society stand, so finally joined and added a maroon Stiove and an inspectors saloon as well.

Weather pleasant so no queues on the road to Scarborough to impede my trip, pity the sat nav got lost, cost me minutes.

I'll be sending the roadies with Hospital Gates this afternoon, so I can "swan in" tomorrow morning and it will be all set up and ready to go.

Looking forward to the show and seeing everyone there.  :sungum:

The roadies did a great job. The last two days have been wonderful, I met a whole host of friends old and new. As to the layout, well there where a couple of problems but nothing that didn't but a few minutes to solve. A big thank you to Mal and his deputy Ken and a special thank you to Martin, his lovely wife Tracey and the good folks in the tea bar. 

Oh and also to those who awarded the layout the trophy.

High light of the weekend was watching Charlie Petty part with money in the tea bar. :scared:  

Hmmmm, not sure about the VERY expensive cake (and premium price but average quality coffee) myself. If the chocolate cake was good then certainly the "coffee and walnut" was seriously deficient. Little taste of coffee in the sponge and few walnuts, but a surprising amount of CARROTT bulking out the mixture, with no right to be there in the first place! No generous layers of rich, coffee-flavoured butter-cream either, just a pale yellow sweet/tart cheap imitation of of proper butter cream, a bit like "icing" that is put on the cheapest, nastiest, mass-produced "cakes". Delicious and hand-crafted it was NOT.

I wondered if it was just my parochial tastes in model railways causing dissatisfaction in that respect too, but as somebody else has now commented elsewhere about far too many "ironing board set-ups" and not enough "proper layouts" I'll say I agree with that sentiment too.

It's a good job I had other reasons to fully justify my visit, but I found no model railway "wow!" factor.

Hello

Perhaps you should take up cake baking and 'big wow factor' exhibition layout building to show us how it should be done properly. I await developments.

Cheers

George

I'm glad it's not just me or RMweb you moan about elsewhere; the organisers and exhibitors put a lot of effort into the event and it must be quite disheartening for them to finish a busy weekend reading about the balance of carrot to walnuts. That's the sort of post which feeds critics of the site.

Having chimed in with that I'd like to leave that point there.

Archived