York 2014

john new

• Administrators

I suppose I might also add to my previous comments that by virtue of being a paying customer of the show on this occasion, I feel I have every right to comment on what was provided.

If the "paying customer" jibe is aimed at me, then I ought to point out I too was a paying customer. I go to shows because I enjoy them.

To avoid any risk with cake catering at future exhibitions, I suggest all RMWebbers take their own cakes.  Please ensure you put them into a sturdy airtight cake container and if you want cream to go with the cake ensure you put it into a coolbag with some ice packs.

If you are not satisfied with shop bought cakes then invest in a good cake baking book or watch Bake Off on the iPlayer.

I too was a 'paying customer' as I paid several hundred pounds in stall fees and other expenses to be there ... and from the moment I entered in the morning (long before the show opened to other 'paying customers') I was surrounded by 'paying customers' of another sort ... EXHIBITORS & STEWARDS ... they pay far more in every sense to ensure that a show is put on to please the final 'paying customers' ... if you honestly believe that the exhibitors and stewards and traders haven't earned the right to an opinion every bit as much as a those that enter through the turnstiles it saddens me.

So GR King, the show or the cake wasn't quite to your taste......why are you telling the general railway modelling fraternity for? If you are dissatisfied, surely your comments would be better directed to the shows organising committee....as someone who exhibits no less than 5 ironing board layouts ( one will be at Sutton Coldfield next weekend) I take umbrage at your comment in an earlier post.....

So you didn't enjoy the exhibition, so be it. Why tell us- we dont care!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

In fairness, this is an open forum so a post giving negative feedback is just as valid as a positive one. We learn as much from both. The fact that there is really only one negative post on this show on RMweb suggests most are happy and the tone / language used tells its own story. Whether the organisers can or would want to take any notice of the random cake rant is another thing altogether :-)

Personally I was curious as to the content of the show as I was unable to make the 250m + trip this Easter. My attendance at future shows is in no way less likely from reading this thread.

Having spent the last three days exhibiting at York (20+ years in various capacities), In my opinion, I wouldn't rate this year as the "best ever" York show, but it was towards the top of the rankings and overall certainly the best show so far this year... There wasn't a stand-out showstopper or centre piece, but there was a varied mix of layouts of different eras, locations, sizes, styles and themes all of which where of a consistently high standard that most other larger shows can only dream of.

I can understand the comments about 'ironing boards' referring to the MOMING theme area. It did skew the overall balance of the show slightly, but there was some very nice individualistic modelling if you stopped to look. My only concern about that area was that some of the exhibitors did give the impression they would much rather be chatting to their mates than operating for the public. One comment made to me by a visitor was that he "felt like he had walked into a private party he hadn't been invited to..." Overall it was an interesting one-off and the organising committee at least get credit for willingness to try such things and I would not be averse to other theme zones in future years.

• RMweb Gold

Having spent the last three days exhibiting at York (20+ years in various capacities), In my opinion, I wouldn't rate this year as the "best ever" York show, but it was towards the top of the rankings and overall certainly the best show so far this year...

You mean to tell us there have been other York shows this year :jester:

• RMweb Gold

A great weekend, thanks to Mally, Ken and the other helpers - which included my boss who was a steward yesterday and today !

post-6662-0-06326700-1398115820_thumb.jpg

I grabbed these photos, they are seem to be of one layout - no idea why

post-6662-0-39522600-1398115935_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-26251600-1398115892_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-79652300-1398115908_thumb.jpg

A great weekend although I didn't get chance to see any of the other layouts, never mind Charlie spending money - I did spend a lot of time chatting to people about signalling, Widnes, DCC, RailRoad and Co, and Norfolk (!), and I met several people from here, some old, some new. All enjoyable stuff.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't have any cake, but thought it was the best York Show I've been to, certainly in the last 10 years during which I think I've attended each one.

• RMweb Premium

New Bryford is safely home.

On behalf of the NB crew - a big thanks to Mal and the rest of the team for putting together a very good show. Being involved at the periphery of my own club show, I have every respect for organisers in trying to fulfil the impossible task of pleasing everyone, all of the time.

Special thanks to the tearoom team for keeping us fed and watered - the parkin on Friday was particularly nice!

Thanks to Grahame and the rest of the Stoney Lane Depot team for their camaraderie over the weekend.

For more entertainment, check in the New Bryford and Towcester threads later!

And finally, a big thankyou to my team of Graham, Nobby and Simon for their help with manning NB over the weekend - a most enjoyable time was had by all, even though I only bought ice-creams for one of them....

Here's my favourite pic from the weekend.

post-408-0-07932300-1398117435_thumb.jpg

I felt very honoured to be featured on the front cover - is this the first diesel on the cover of a York show guide?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Well, Leighton Buzzard is back home safe and sound. We survived the 3 days but only just! The temperature and probably the humidity didn't do us any favours. The fiddle yard went downhill (literally) rapidly and was warped and twisted (some would say a bit like the operators) to the extent that we thought we had done well to get the 6 wheelers round without a derailment.

The heat also caused some of the switches that are held over by friction to "bounce back", which made life interesting.

Still, the old layout kept going and we had long spells of pretty much perfect running for long periods on the public viewing side, as long as we remembered which switches to hold in position.

A big thanks to the stalwart operating team, Nick, John, Crispin, Juliana, Clare, Rachel, Matt, Ken, Mick and to Samuel, our semi official operator who turns up at pretty much every show to have a "play" and who now matches or even exceeds the skills of some of the regulars!

Also a big thanks to all those who said nice things about what is being done to keep Leighton Buzzard and Buckingham up and running. It is good to know that all the hard work is appreciated by so many.

As for the show itself, I didn't get more than a quick scout around but I thought that there were some cracking good layouts and very decent trade support. Admittedly, I had seen many of the best layouts before, sometimes several times but perhaps that is my fault for going to so many shows!

From a purely personal viewpoint, if I took out all the layouts I had seen before and all the ones that weren't of direct personal interest to me I could say that there wasn't much left but I try to be broad minded enough to enjoy modelling even when it doesn't match my fairly narrow personal interests.

Tony

Also a big thanks to all those who said nice things about what is being done to keep Leighton Buzzard and Buckingham up and running. It is good to know that all the hard work is appreciated by so many.

Crikey Tony... you're up late...

I thought you would have had your Horlicks hours ago, after three days of running. Passed you on Saturday morning and you had soldering iron in hand so left you to it.

Three deep every time we passed on Sunday so left you to it, but heard some nice comments being passed.

I wonder how many folk appreciated the significance and history of what was entertaining them. Thanks for keep the old girl running.

Porcy

Numbers were slightly down on last year overall, but given the prevailing economic conditions maybe this was to be expected plus the weather over the three days was better than a normal Easter!

Many thanks to all the stewards who volunteered without which there probably would be no York Show. This year we had more than we actually catered for which is a bonus in itself! 

A great show.

As someone who visits a lot, there was not a lot that I had not seen before.  So no standout "discovery".   I had seen Porthcullin before but at York the location or lighting or reduced crowds or something raised it a level.   Conversely Moretonhapstead was let down by the lighting in the dim corner and, on reading the guide later I noticed I completely missed Alderford (back to back with Moretonhampstead) which is a shame as I would love to have seen their AM4.

For something different, Dungeness's use of colours was great.   Leicester was of course magnificent. Kilbrandon delightful etc etc.  And spent shedloads on traders (though I felt for a family show there could have been a  bit more second hand tat).

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

I seem to remember Captain Cook had a picture of a flying banana as part of the handbook cover many years ago. I think it was a shot of Nempnet Thrupwell.

Baz

I enjoyed operating New Bryford but I found the following outrageous and I'll complain bitterly to the show organisers.

1/. Too much yellow on New Bryford

2/. Trains were too small on Grahames Stoney Lane Depot

3/. I had to walk upstairs to get a cup of tea

4/. The sun was shining

5/. The York show was held inYork

6/. Charlie Petty was actually on his stand.

7/. 99.9% of the people I spoke to were actually enjoying themselves

This should not be allowed

Have fun, it's only a hobby

:D

There will never ever be a 'perfect' show anywhere as we are all different and have varied interests in the hobby. There was a huge variety of layouts, big and small, at York and in general the atmosphere was wonderful. I speak from the 'shop floor' as a steward for two days and an operator on the 7mm narrow gauge 'Halfway' on the top floor. I'm into BR modelling from late 60s onwards and steam has no interest for me at all but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a good layout with ideas that might inspire me whatever era I choose to model. Most of us do not have the luxury of a large area to model in so the smaller layouts are as appealing as ever.

The aforementioned 'Halfway' is just 4ft but with two levels, a sand loader, a little chimney with steam pumping out, a chap rolling a barrel, these little touches put a smile on people's faces and surely that's what counts.

298, I have been reliably informed that the cake at Sutton Coldfield is of the highest order . Unfortunately my source wishes to remain anonymous though. If you're there next week, I'll be faffing about on Weslo Steels should you wish me to divulge my source,!!!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

I've seen his "source", it was horrible to put it mildly! :no:

You get him to "divulge" it at your peril!  :mail:

• RMweb Premium

Crikey Tony... you're up late...

I thought you would have had your Horlicks hours ago, after three days of running. Passed you on Saturday morning and you had soldering iron in hand so left you to it.

Three deep every time we passed on Sunday so left you to it, but heard some nice comments being passed.

I wonder how many folk appreciated the significance and history of what was entertaining them. Thanks for keep the old girl running.

Porcy

Always been a late night bird! Even after three long days I still don't feel the need to collapse into the pit.

Had a bit of a lie in this morning to compensate.

The soldering iron on Saturday was because a few of the rail to steel pin joints had given up as soon as it started to warm up and one of the rails on the fiddle yard moved about 1mm outwards, making us P4 and a bit! The fiddle yard will get a major overhaul before the next outing, which is just over a year from now at EXPO EM. It may even get replaced, by using what components we can salvage and building a replica.

Many thanks for the kind words.

Several people over the weekend opened a conversation with "This reminds me of one of Peter Denny's layouts" and when we let them know that it was actually all his work, were then full of stories of how Buckingham had inspired them, which was lovely.

I think that there may be something that could be done to improve the publicity that goes along with exhibiting the layout and I will give that some thought. I am biased but I still think that it is a layout that can draw a few extra visitors to a show if people know it is there. 

We do try to engage in conversation with anybody who will listen, telling them about the age of the layout and talking to them about the significance it has in the hobby.

It also, to me and many others, stands up as a layout in its own right. If I was building layouts that looked that good and worked that well in modern times I would be well pleased with myself. There are one or two places where the scenery is a little tired and the trees would benefit from some work but the overall design of the layout and the way it looks and runs have really stood the test of time.

I still need to decide whether to freshen up the scenic work or leave it as it is. My brief from the Denny family is to do what Peter would have done, which would be to improve things as they need doing. If I do, I will use proper "Denny" style materials and methods to make it look as it did when first built. 

There is still much to do on Buckingham, including going through the stock and mending things like the footsteps on carriages but we will get there.

Tony

Archived