Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

99.9% certain you're correct Chris! I saw the locomotive during filming for the second movie whilst travelling on the Jacobite. It was carrying Hogwarts Castle nameplates.

Edit: The various mock ups used in the theme park(s) carry Hogwarts Castle nameplates too. This is as good an indication as you can get without searching through the movies!

• RMweb Premium

Yes the locomotive name was Hogwarts Castle. This led to a lot of talk amongst the preservation movement, dubbing the Loco 'The Hall that wants to be a Castle'. I believe they did consider Hogwarts Hall originally, but it was felt Hogwarts Castle was more fitting.

• RMweb Gold

Just a passinhg comment but the Bachmann Hall, 6922, is not meant to be a modified Hall and should, therefore, provide a straight comparison - but unfortunately it has been fitted with modified Hall steam pipes. There - a tilt at Bachmann on a Hornby topic :-)

Just boxed Burton Hall back up, and noticed that it is an unmodified hall.  My mistake!

In my defence, I thought Bachmann only did modified halls, obviously not, so my photographs show a fair comparison between the two manufacturers.

We are, and in the meanwhile apart from one included in a set the (ordinary) 'Hall' has been cancelled for this year.

But the Hornby 'Hall' is a little cracker for the money. I'm just about to start repainting mine in the proper colours. I have the old Replica and Bachmann ones but they are both poor runners compared to the Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

But the Hornby 'Hall' is a little cracker for the money. I'm just about to start repainting mine in the proper colours. I have the old Replica and Bachmann ones but they are both poor runners compared to the Hornby.

I'm thinking about this myself . There is about a £40 differential in cost between the main range BR Green version and the Hogwarts one which would be exactly the one I want except it's Red!

I'm thinking about this myself . There is about a £40 differential in cost between the main range BR Green version and the Hogwarts one which would be exactly the one I want except it's Red!

That's about the same as the money I've spent on paint, transfers and etched plates, but while there might be no great cost advantage - I don't have to wait, I can produce exactly the loco I want, it will be my own work, and any grumbles I might have about the colour, the finish or whatever can be directed at me! 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

That's about the same as the money I've spent on paint, transfers and etched plates, but while there might be no great cost advantage - I don't have to wait, I can produce exactly the loco I want, it will be my own work, and any grumbles I might have about the colour, the finish or whatever can be directed at me! 

CHRIS LEIGH

You do of course Chris have the advantage of being able to do a much better job than many of us; we'll certainly me...!

I've heard it said that red is a good undercoat colour for GWR/BR greens.

Nick

No brass axle bearings I'm afraid, no brake rigging as previously said, no water scoop moulding under the tender either, but it does have tender pickups as well as on all six driving wheels.

And as was said earlier, the slidebars are much improved, have a real prototypical heavyweight look about them.

Hornby's own website show both brake rods and scoop and yet they don't seem to be present on the model. Has anyone contacted Hornby (and received a response) as to their absence?

I have given mine a quick run around my layout and as everyone else has said is does run well out of the box. The driving wheels are very rigid on their axles, there is no independent or vertical movement. This makes the loco rock as it goes over points or changes in gradient, despite this it stays on the track so whilst basic it is certainly robust in its running.

The Hall's pulling power is good too, managing a rake of three Hornby Maunsells up an incline of 1:30 including bends, something the other locos often fail on.

You do of course Chris have the advantage of being able to do a much better job than many of us; we'll certainly me...!

That's the thing, I've only ever considered myself to be a 'competent amateur' - there are lots of folk way better than me and at least two of them are on the Model Rail team. I've reached a standard which I think most modellers can meet and some can better. I'm not that great on repaints because I shun the airbrush whenever possible (I hate cleaning it afterwards) and use aerosol cans (I hope George doesn't read this!). I'll wait to be judged on whether my repaint is any good or not. If it's terrible, you'll never get to see it and I'll pass it to Mr. Lowery to re-do!

CHRIS LEIGH

Hornby's own website show both brake rods and scoop and yet they don't seem to be present on the model. Has anyone contacted Hornby (and received a response) as to their absence?

I have given mine a quick run around my layout and as everyone else has said is does run well out of the box. The driving wheels are very rigid on their axles, there is no independent or vertical movement. This makes the loco rock as it goes over points or changes in gradient, despite this it stays on the track so whilst basic it is certainly robust in its running.

The Hall's pulling power is good too, managing a rake of three Hornby Maunsells up an incline of 1:30 including bends, something the other locos often fail on.

Are we talking about the Railroad model here? Remember Hornby's ads and catalogue use computer generated images, often with just the liveries changed. I wouldn't expect braking rigging and water scoops on a Railroad model but I'm guessing they will be on the standard model, along with a painted backhead. My review is in the next Model Rail, published on Feb 12. I had a lot more than 3 coaches behind it, but on level track. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Hornby seem to have something against GWR locos with all the moulded items.

If this is the way they are going I hope they don't produce anymore GWR locos with their new useless 'Design clever' crap.

leave it to Bachmann please who don't skimp on these details and don't need pathetic corporate buzzwords.

Yes I agree with that, If you can't get it right Hornby Don't bother !, "Design Clever" is an insult to the "serious" Railway Modeller.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I agree with that, If you can't get it right Hornby Don't bother !, "Design Clever" is an insult to the "serious" Railway Modeller.

I think I would wait to see exactly what we are getting before a rush to judgment.Design Clever is in any case being quietly retired. Besides which not everyone feels as upset by it as others.Chris Leigh above has commented favourably and early perceived wisdom is that it's not half a bad model.My own perspective on Bachmann's Hall is that its performance leaves something to be desired,levels of detail notwithstanding.

• RMweb Premium

CHRIS LEIGH

Yes that's my suspicion, plus I definitely won't get anywhere near factory finish . It's a shame they didn't do a BR Green one in Railroad. Much rather pay £60 odd rather than £100 odd!. What do I get for extra £40? Not bothered about etched plates .

Photographs and pre-production illustration show a lined cylinder casing on Olton Hall. The pre-production illustrations for the very similar Railroad Adderley Hall do not.

I wonder whether Adderley Hall will be similarly decorated. Did Adderley Hall not run with lined cylinder casings? I don't know otherwise why this distinction would be made for two similar Railroad models.

• RMweb Gold

In a recent blog entry, Simon Kohler said that it had been a dreadful misjudgment and that there will be no more Design Clever models. Which is something of a shame IMO, as it definitely has a place in the budget range.

Ummmmm NO! If there was a "serious'' modeler around, then design-clever would be just another chance to showcase his/her talent in modifying and detailing rather than crib and whinge about a small moulded smokebox dart or handrail.

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame they didn't do a BR Green one in Railroad .

I think it's a press safe bet they will do if you're prepared to wait a catalogue or two.

In a recent blog entry, Simon Kohler said that it had been a dreadful misjudgment and that there will be no more Design Clever models. Which is something of a shame IMO, as it definitely has a place in the budget range.

I agree in terms of Railroad models, but not in the way Hornby seem to be working at present, with models (such as the Hall) being developed to two standards, with differing levels of detail. There'd be too much chance that some moulded detail would find its way onto the hi-if model as well.

In a way therein lies the problem. If Hornby wants to perpetuate it's Railroad range, which I think it should, more all new tooling models of popular prototypes should be made specifically and exclusively for it.

I agree in terms of Railroad models, but not in the way Hornby seem to be working at present, with models (such as the Hall) being developed to two standards, with differing levels of detail. There'd be too much chance that some moulded detail would find its way onto the hi-if model as well.

In a way therein lies the problem. 

Well I personally find you timing a bit wrong. The last of the "design-clever" models was announced last year in the form of the Franco-Crosti 9F. The year prior to that contained the bulk of the "design-clever" models in which the GWR Hall featured. The release of the GWR Hall is what has happened lately, but it's design and all happened over a year ago. 

So you comment about Hornby's present form of working is something that I strongly disagree to... If you talking about Hornby at present please do go and have a look at models such as The K1, Black Motor, J15, D16/3 and CAD images of the GWR King and Class 71 to know that Hornby are back to producing high spec models. So please don't mix the two. The GWR Hall is an excellent model having seen it in flesh today and if a few moulded parts bothers you then I strongly encourage you to have a go at real modelling.....

If Hornby wants to perpetuate it's Railroad range, which I think it should, more all new tooling models of popular prototypes should be made specifically and exclusively for it.

I couldn't AGREE more with this statement. If you do have a close look at the Crosti 9F you will notice that Hornby can do wonder with newly tooled models in the Railroad range..... It's truly excellent. And I'm sure many Railroad items deserve a proper re-tool. Must actually suggest this to a Hornby rep soon.

The models I'd really love to see re-tooled would be the Class 08/09 (it looks wrong totally), Class 47 (it has a sad drooping face) and Mk2As. If not a full re-tool then atleast updating the couplings would be a better step.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Dear Mr. Broadman,

Thank you for presuming to censor those of us who form a different view from you about a particular Hornby product. Apparently, those of us who have the temerity to find fault with aspects of the Hornby Hall are "whingers" who are failing to perceive a mediocre model as opportunity to engage in "real modelling". Thanks for pointing out our moral shortcomings. To think, I actually believed a forum entitled "Hornby GWR Hall" was a place where one could discuss one's hopes, observations and experience of said model!

I have news for you Mr.Broadman. We are consumers and we have a right to express our views (preferably balanced and objective). The function of the independent trade press and consumer groups such as "Which?" is to encourage the raising of manufacturer's standards. They do that by comparative testing and passing the information on to consumers. Unfortunately "Which?"don't do model trains so we (and the model press) do so instead.

You seem to be "cock-a-hoop" with your new Hornby Hall describing it as "excellent". I'm genuinely pleased for you. Unfortunately, you seem less sanguine about others expressing another view. The fact of the matter is that the new Hornby Hall is a pale shadow of what this company was capable of just a few short years ago. As a result, not a few people feel disappointed.  Remember the exquisite Britannia, 4MT, Class 50? They really were "excellent" pieces of model engineering.

If "Design Clever" was such a brilliant idea, Hornby wouldn't have abandoned it. In fact it's been a public relations disaster and had tarnished the company's image. The new Hornby Hall is a product of that flawed strategy and that's why I'm not unreservedly impressed.

Several folks on this forum have pointed to the fact that the Railroad model in particular represents great value for money. It undoubtedly is for many if not the majority. Please be aware however that value, like beauty, is in the "eye of the beholder". I suspect that the majority of the owners of the new Hornby K1 consider that they have great value for money. I further venture that very few would gladly trade in their new models for a "Design Clever" equivalent in exchange for £50 in their wallets! 

Returning to the subject of "cribbing" and "whinging" (Mr. Broadman's terms). Do you seriously think that if manufacturers receive nothing but gushing praise they are likely to improve the quality of their products? Human nature being what it is, I think not.

The value and power of criticism is amply demonstrated by Richard Foster's outstanding review of the Bachmann "Modified Hall" (Model Rail I think) and the subsequent withdrawal of the product from sale. As a result of that, Bachmann have gone away to rethink their flawed model and the modelling community will benefit with a superior product.

Mr. Broadman says, and I quote " Must actually suggest this to a Hornby rep soon." Evidently he has rather more influence with Hornby Hobbies than most of us and perhaps a conflict of interests too.

He also says of one Hornby model that "(it looks wrong totally)" and another that "(it has a sad drooping face)". Did someone say something about "whinging", "cribbing" passing up opportunities to showcase their modelling talent?

Archived