Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Gold

R 3169 Olton Hall in Hogwarts livery and R3170 Adderley Hall in GWR livery are both in Railroad. R3205 Rood Ashton Hall is main range decoration and R3220 is the Tyseley Connection Train Pack that has Pitchford hall in GWR livery with 3 railroad mk1 coaches. No new ones announced for this year

The r3205 is Collett tender with late crest

There will also be 4935 'Ketley Hall' in GWR livery (Railroad), in a DCC 'E-link' set for release later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Further photos of 5972 on facebook. The moulded steam pipes I can live with - the moulded ejector pipe looks horrible. I honestly think there would be less hassle in repainting a Bachmann Hall than trying to bring this up to scratch and preserve the paintjob. Does anyone have the licence to produce the Hogwarts tender crest? IF I end up getting this, I'll be swapping the tender body with that on the Old Hogwarts castle for a start. Weathering would be necessary due to that, but the finish looks.. odd in the photos to say the least. 

But at least it will not continually break off like the separate, too fine pipe on the Bachmann halls!

Mike Wiltshire

A fair point, not having one, I wouldn't know. The issue with the Hornby one is that they haven't even tried to hide it - it look like the handrails on the old Hornby 'Brit'

• RMweb Premium

I believe Hornby no longer hold the licence for the Hogwarts logos so that's the reason it has the great western logo on the tender. If you want the logo you will have to get it custom made. But good luck with finding someone. I already have mine andanaged to get them through Railtec as one off logos for the loco and the coaches. I have this on pre-order from ehattons sound fitted and cannot wait for its release.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the model of Olton Hall looks very fetching in maroon, all the pictures I've found on Google shows the tender with the "Hogwarts Railways" logo on the tender, and not "Great Western". Anyone know whether Olton Hall actually appeared like this?

Hopefully this is the last of the 'design clever' era.

If you actually see the way Hornby has designed their most recent models (K1, J15, 700 Class...) and if you read Simon's latest blog you would have noticed that the "Design-Clever" methods (which I prefer) have been dropped for a year now.

• RMweb Gold

As I said earlier, I believe Hornby no longer hold the Harry Potter licence. As such, this model is GWR Red Olton Hall not Hogwarts Railways Red Hogwarts Castle.

Ironic really, as one of the reasons for duplicating the Bachmann Hall in the first place was to replace the life expired Airfix Castle tooling in the Harry Potter sets.

• RMweb Premium

Ironic really, as one of the reasons for duplicating the Bachmann Hall in the first place was to replace the life expired Airfix Castle tooling in the Harry Potter sets.

Says who? This is one of those gwr locos that is a staple in everyones range. Hornby wisely decided to aim theirs at a different market. There were over 300 locos in this class. I thin k it can safely be said that there can be many locos produced without the need for constant duplication,  

• RMweb Gold

Says who? 

Says Pat Hammond, writing on MREMag at the time this model was announced, and presumably going on inside information as he is not in the habit of making up stories about a firm with which he enjoys a close professional relationship.

• RMweb Gold

Here: http://www.mremag.com/news/article/Hornby-2013-programme/14082

"The original ‘Hall’ tooling was altered to produce the ‘Saint’ Class model in 1988 and this was last listed 15 years ago.  The ‘Hall’ is to return as a completely retooled model.  This has been spurred on by the need for a more accurate model to sell in connection with the Harry Potter Experience.  As Hornby hold the licence in the UK to produce 00 scale Harry Potter models, it was decide to completely retool the Tri-ang Hornby model of a GWR ‘Hall’ and base one on the real locomotive Olton Hall, in its current livery (R3169)."

Says him. And yet the disagreements keep on coming, which is interesting.

Archived