Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Gold

I picked one up today, more out of curiosity than anything else, and I'm pleasantly surprised. There is more fine detail than on other specially developed Railroad models, and unlike on earlier Railroad releases the cab is glazed and the lining is of good quality. The buffers are not sprung, but crucially they look as though they are, and while I've only run it in so far it was smooth and controllable straight out of the box and had no trouble with the tight curves on my E-Z Track test oval. Definitely worth seventy quid of anybody's money.

Goodness only knows what I'm going to do with the thing now I've got it though.

• RMweb Gold

I picked one up today, more out of curiosity than anything else, and I'm pleasantly surprised. There is more fine detail than on other specially developed Railroad models, and unlike on earlier Railroad releases the cab is glazed and the lining is of good quality. The buffers are not sprung, but crucially they look as though they are, and while I've only run it in so far it was smooth and controllable straight out of the box and had no trouble with the tight curves on my E-Z Track test oval. Definitely worth seventy quid of anybody's money.

Goodness only knows what I'm going to do with the thing now I've got it though.

Good question.Run it behind 6 maroon Mark Ones & pretend it's the Jacobite,perhaps? I did see it on shed at Fort William in 2004 .I believe it served time as reserve to the K1 then rostered.I have to say it does look remarkably good for the money,despite the livery.Look forward to the "proper" one arriving.I think this one might surprise us sceptics.

• RMweb Premium

I will be finishing off the lining on the cabsides and tender and then new Hogwarts Railways transfers on the tender sides and etched Hogwarts Castle nameplates and Hogwarts Express headboard. Then It's going to someone else so it can be varnished, have a crew fitted in Hogwarts Railways maroon overalls, and real coal added to the tender. This one is going to by to be the pride of my fleet.

Can't wait to get hands on one and put it back into Swindon livery. A chance to do some old-fashioned 'personalising' on a model that seems to be pretty keenly priced - especially as the price is bound to include a significant licensing fee.

CHRIS LEIGH

My Review is now online!  :locomotive:

Description;  

Another review of a much anticipated from Hornby! The all new Hornby R3169 Railroad GWR 4900 Class, 'Olton Hall'. Designed by Charles Collett, these versatile mixed traffic locos became one of the most popular designs on the GWR, with a total of 259 being built. 10 of the Class have been preserved, including 5972 'Olton Hall', which has become famous world wide, starring as 'Hogwarts Castle' in the Harry Potter films.
This model is one of 2 RailRoad versions being produced, with another 3 being in the premium range (including in a train sets and train pack). Like the RailRoad P2 this model is by no means basic, with fantastic build quality, stunning livery, smooth and powerful running and plenty of surprises! Another 10/10 for Hornby! 
Hope you all enjoy!
(Plus I apologise for the amount of time I say "Of course", I only noticed that during editing  :jester:
 ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIUq890OdI

post-20663-0-24132700-1422105185.png

Why would it include a licensing fee Chris? It has nothing on it to link it to Warner Bros. does it? It is Olton Hall in BR maroon with Great Western branding on the tender.

I wouldn't want to bet on it! Licensing is widespread now (the NRM certainly does it and not just for Flying Scotsman and Mallard). It may not be the pure Hogwarts livery but it is unique to that locomotive.

CHRIS LEIGH

I think this model is perfectly fine for the intended market, though it'll be interesting to see what the main range-variant offers over and above the Railroad specs. If that too has solid steam pipes, then who will the intended customer base be? 

One thing I will say, is that those looking to use the Railroad model as a basis for conversion into a more 'prototypical' Hall, would do well to remember that the superb Bachmann Hall is still available from Buffers in the form of their three limited edition models - and for only £7 more than Hornby's RRP for this, shall we say, undercooked alternative!

CoY

• RMweb Gold

I think this model is perfectly fine for the intended market, though it'll be interesting to see what the main range-variant offers over and and above the Railroad specs. If that too has solid steam pipes, then who will the intended customer base be? 

One thing I will say, is that those looking to use the Railroad model as a basis for conversion into a more 'prototypical' Hall, would do well to remember that the superb Bachmann Hall is still available from Buffers in the form of their three limited edition models - and for only £7 more than Hornby's RRP for this, shall we say, undercooked alternative!

CoY

Quite agree - I think the Bachmann alternative. albeit much older now the new model has been dropped. does look better although many folk are not happy with its performance.   The new Hornby model has a good shape but if it appears unchanged in the main range with the solid steam pipes and peculiar lump in place of the lance cock it may well not be worth the effort of the necessary carving to improve its detail appearance and change the smokebox door handles.

Obviously all a matter of personal choicel but thus far I think this one is a further example of Hornby trying to do two different things with a single body moulding which ends up falling between the two.  That is, I hope, an era and policy which is now passing with Hornby now seeming to again value that section of the market which is seeking more contemporary standards from its mainstream models.

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably,I for one am not convinced by the performance of the Bachmann version.I also believe that Hornby's current form with fine detail and lining is markedly superior.But we must wait and see.One thing in Bachmann's favour,it has to be said,is that one has more confidence that it will actually run sweetly out of the box.My recent experience with Hornby is best described as 'variable ' in that respect.

I was able to have a close look at one of these in my local model shop today and I was quite impressed. The colour/livery on Olton Hall is not for me but I look forward to one of the green ones, be it main range or Railroad, becoming available.

For the price of this Railroad version I can accept the moulded smoke-box dart and in-filled steam pipes (which I think might not be that visible at 'normal viewing distance' anyway) but the only thing that I felt let this particular model down was the rear corner tender hand rails - they are solid moulded items whereas the ones on the front corners are separate (or at least there is daylight visible between the rail and the tender) which makes the solid rear ones look even more obvious. Even if the main range versions have the same tender moulding this would not be a 'deal-breaker' for me and I'm sure they must have suitable existing tender variants with greater detail but it just stood out to me.

I think the main reason this stood out was simply because the rest of the moulded detail is so fine and very impressive, as you can see in SDJR7F88's informative review above! As just one example, the washout plugs really looked to me as being particularly fine. The rest of the moulded detail right down to rivet level was also equally as impressive 'in the flesh'. I'm also really pleased to see turned metal buffers. I'm not bothered if my buffers are sprung or not but these look a thousand times better than the moulded plastic versions on DoG etc.

Looking forward to the next Hall releases Hornby!.....

As an aside, in my local shop today it was also nice to see several big boxes of newly released Hornby stock waiting to be put out on the shelves!

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably,I for one am not convinced by the performance of the Bachmann version.I also believe that Hornby's current form with fine detail and lining is markedly superior.But we must wait and see.One thing in Bachmann's favour,it has to be said,is that one has more confidence that it will actually run sweetly out of the box.My recent experience with Hornby is best described as 'variable ' in that respect.

Moving on from my final remark on the variability of Hornby models,I have just opened the box and tested my latest acquisition,R3118 'Penrice Castle'....yes,e bay at an 'offer I cannot refuse'....and oh joy,it has all its bits,nothing fell off and it runs sweetly ! Well,it should,it's a Castle when all is said and done and a model of the very one which gave me my final Castle run early in 1964 from Paddington to West Bromwich one Sunday evening.Why West Bromwich and not Snow Hill you ask ? Ah,because of late running ( Penrice Castle was deputising for the rostered diesel ) and my local connection was missed at Snow Hill and a special stop was immediately arranged for me. They kept connections in those days.I alighted and had the immense privelege of giving a hand signal 'right away' to the driver and away she went into the murk of a winter night.Six months later,she fell to the cutter's torch a couple of miles away at Great Bridge.

Hi Hilux, don't worry, spent all day filming a review  :locomotive: Took me over 30 takes (More like 300 :jester: ), but got there in the end. Hope to have it up soon  :sungum:

Hears a little sneak peak...

Well done Callum, another excellent video review of a new Hornby loco. I can't wait for your review of the forthcoming 9F Crosti which should be a corker.

Thank you again for your efforts.......

Archived