Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic review. A shame the loco does not come with brake rods, however I'm sure they will be available as a spare

And how often in your working life as an operator of model railways do you actually SEE brake rods ? Still,it must be a comfort to know they are there...or not,as the case may be.They require anchorage points.If they are not present....no brake assembly.A challenge then for my eyesight,it seems....

• RMweb Premium

I don't but I like them to be there. On the flip side, how many people will see the moulded steam pipes from normal operating distance when she is running? Not many but people are outraged by it. I guess that everyone has different tolerances

Well done Callum, another excellent video review of a new Hornby loco. I can't wait for your review of the forthcoming 9F Crosti which should be a corker.

Thank you again for your efforts.......

Thanks you ever so much!  And glad my review is of help.  ;) Yes, I'm really looking forward to review that release! Got the Early one on order, as I like the sound of the exposed side exhaust.  :locomotive:  Hopefully I'll take some notes with me next time, so I don't waffle as much, or do as many takes :jester: (looking at my 16GB SD Card it seem I do over 90 failed attempts to films all the segments!  :O ).

Oh, well got there in the end. Running video to be posted in the next few days. 

I don't but I like them to be there. On the flip side, how many people will see the moulded steam pipes from normal operating distance when she is running? Not many but people are outraged by it. I guess that everyone has different tolerances

Exactly....When a loco is actually seen from normal viewing distance things like that and moulded smoke-box darts will never be scrutinized....

Bachmann should have come up with "design-clever"...people would have loved it and thought it was actually Bachmann's way of reducing cost. Somehow on RMweb everything that Hornby does is wrong and whatever Bachmann does is right.

I'd really like to thank Callum for such a lovely review. I think you really kept an open mind and stuck to facts. I actually wish design-clever stuck on for the railroad models or something. Such a lovely concept that drastically reduced prices.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Glad to see this model has finally reached the shops. Has any brave soul tried replacing the Hornby body with a Bachmann one yet?

While many question the quality of the Bachmann hall chassis (and I have two absolute stinkers!) there is no doubt the body is exquisite and DOES feature a separately fitted 4-cone ejector, outside steam pipes, smokebox dart, cabside handrails, steam lance cock and a better chimney.

The Bachmann body on the Hornby chassis looks a good combination on paper.....but only if it fits!

• RMweb Gold

Exactly....When a loco is actually seen from normal viewing distance things like that and moulded smoke-box darts will never be scrutinized....

Bachmann should have come up with "design-clever"...people would have loved it and thought it was actually Bachmann's way of reducing cost. Somehow on RMweb everything that Hornby does is wrong and whatever Bachmann does is right.

I'd really like to thank Callum for such a lovely review. I think you really kept an open mind and stuck to facts. I actually wish design-clever stuck on for the railroad models or something. Such a lovely concept that drastically reduced prices.

Why the partisan Blues v Reds ....again ? Members gripes with Hornby...and Bachmann.....are well documented here.Remember 'Bloody Sunday' last year when Bachmann introduced their new range and the howls of protest reverberated around the forum for days on end?

Hornby's Howlers are too numerous to record.There are sound reasons for both points of view.

'Design Clever' by common consent,I think,we need to move on from.It divides opinion and I,for one,do not believe Bachmann would want to go there,nor do I think for one moment they seriously contemplated it....why should they?

The fact is that ,by and large,we are well served by both Bachmann and Hornby.Both produce exquisite models to standards undreamt of years ago.True,they don't always get it right but when they do we rejoice ....as I do when I run a Bachmann D11 or Hornby Bulleid Pacific.Why anyone should want to assume polarised views about them or conclude there is a certain groundswell of opinion is beyond me.I have no personal favourite/allegiance.I enjoy what I can get my hands on and hope to do so for many years yet...the Hornby Hall being next on my hit list.

Why the partisan Blues v Reds ....again ? 

I don't see this as partisan, Ian

Whatever happened in the past, and we would all agree they have produced some fantastic things over the years, Hornby are clearly vulnerable as a top-quality model railway producer at present. The concensus of views is this is not because of any shortage of demand or a willingness to pay prices which would give a respectable return, but because of errors of strategy, both in the recent past and continuing now.

Most of what is written is intended to be constructive but when it is apparently ignored and remains unacknowledged and un-replied-to, then frustration is bound to surface from time to time.

I think I can see positive change in response to some of the criticism, the burial or at least modification of design-clever, a review of what Railroad is all about, perhaps even the tiniest green shoots of an intelligent strategy appearing but you wouldn't know it from the little communication we receive.   

It's not about the past. It's about the future, for which we need at least two major manufacturers in full health - and listening to their customers and retailers.

• RMweb Gold

Well,apart from its content,AJA declares his colours at the very bottom of his post.,should you care to read it.He is,of course,fully entitled to his preferences.Despite what may be currently perceived wisdom,manufacturers do listen and even enlist the aid and practical knowledge of members of this forum....Graham Muspratt being an example at the moment.There are and have been quite a few others. Because they seldom post here,it may be interpreted that they do not care. I do not believe that to be the case. Simply that posting on this forum can,on occasion,be akin to 'going over the top' on The Somme.and open to a wide degree of assumption and misinterpretation.Also,we tend to think we are the only arbiters of taste and correctness in the field.There are a whole host of other enthusiasts 'out there' who are not members of this forum  and who may have equally valid views.Then,of course,there are commercial considerations to which we are not party and which should not concern us.Yes,we have a view....but it is not the only one.Don't assume you're not being listened to,even though that might sometimes appear to be the case.

Somehow on RMweb everything that Hornby does is wrong and whatever Bachmann does is right.

This is a very inaccurate statement - particularly on the subject of Halls.

When Bachmann released their modified Halls there was a lot of discussion including criticism here on RMweb. Two mistakes were made, one where modified Hall steam pipes were included on the regular Hall and an error with the first release of their modified Hall. That criticism was very short-lived however as Bachmann quickly admitted their mistake in both instances and announced that the model would be rectified, appropriately silencing the grumbling and turning it to praise for a manufacturer willing to 'get things right'.

The difference is entirely related to the way each manufacturer responds to criticism and the general levels of quality control we have seen from both manufacturers over the last five years.

Hornby have made mistakes*, which when pointed out, they demonstrated no inclination to fix nor even admit and their quality control over the past few years is unquestionably inferior.

* I'm not talking about detail compromises here, but design/manufacturing mistakes.

• RMweb Gold

Well I received a text message whilst out at work to say that Hattons had delivered a parcel for me. Got home to find Olton Hall sat on the dining table.  So after the kids were tucked into bed, I took a few snaps.

Given the whole discussion about infilled steam pipes, I thought to illustrate the difference, I would take some photos against a Bachmann Burton Hall.  Whilst not a strict comparison as Burton Hall is a modified hall, plus the difference in cost (£67 vs £105), it hopefully will allow people to decide if this is something that might bother them.

Other things I've noticed.

• Straight from the box, the loco ran remarkably smoothly!
  • The loco feels quite light.  I haven't got a layout where I can run the loco with a load, so I cannot check whether this would be an issue.
  • Unlike the recent batch of Granges, this loco actually has a vacuum pump spindle!
  • Some of the finishing of the paintwork is a little bit poor in places, in particular the gold under the nameplates on this version, so inspect your Olton Halls carefully!
  • It has the irritating plug and cable arrangement between the loco and the tender that you need super tiny fingers for (or the Hornby tender tool!)  There is an 8 pin DCC socket in the tender. The loco and tender are attached in the box, and ready to plonk onto your layout!
  • The instructions show the provision for fitting the brake rigging if you can get hold of a set.  The brake hangers are all drilled out ready to accept them.
  • The loco comes wrapped up in a weird plastic that it a pain to get back into the box!
  • The rivets are heavier to the cab of the Bachmann model than the Hornby version.  Not too sure if that's an issue for most people.  

Personally, for £67 from Hattons, I think the loco is fairly good for its price.  However, I have seen some shops trying to sell Olton Hall for £108! Ouch!

Before I start to actually count the rivets, I'll leave you to take a look at the photos to make your mind up.

post-7653-0-14814500-1422399175_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-56907000-1422399178_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-87149600-1422399198_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-49952800-1422399200_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-83041700-1422399201_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-26818500-1422399203_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-09545600-1422399228_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-59269000-1422399230_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-77991400-1422399237_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-25822800-1422399239_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-58147400-1422399240_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-94916000-1422399241_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-23755700-1422399243_thumb.jpg

Hi Callum,

Took a look at your YouTube review this morning, enjoyed it very much.  (of course! ;)  )

Slightly off-topic, but curious as to why the Harry Potter people didn't use a preserved Castle class loco to play Hogwarts Castle.  Were none in mainline condition at that time, or they couldn't come to financial terms with a Castle owner?

R.E.

My Review is now online!  :locomotive:

Description;  

Another review of a much anticipated from Hornby! The all new Hornby R3169 Railroad GWR 4900 Class, 'Olton Hall'. Designed by Charles Collett, these versatile mixed traffic locos became one of the most popular designs on the GWR, with a total of 259 being built. 10 of the Class have been preserved, including 5972 'Olton Hall', which has become famous world wide, starring as 'Hogwarts Castle' in the Harry Potter films.
This model is one of 2 RailRoad versions being produced, with another 3 being in the premium range (including in a train sets and train pack). Like the RailRoad P2 this model is by no means basic, with fantastic build quality, stunning livery, smooth and powerful running and plenty of surprises! Another 10/10 for Hornby! 
Hope you all enjoy!
(Plus I apologise for the amount of time I say "Of course", I only noticed that during editing  :jester:
 ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIUq890OdI

Slightly off-topic, but curious as to why the Harry Potter people didn't use a preserved Castle class loco to play Hogwarts Castle.  Were none in mainline condition at that time, or they couldn't come to financial terms with a Castle owner?

There is a good answer here.

I think both the candidates (a West Country and a Hall) had a lot to do with being the most numerous steam engines in preservation and perhaps therefore considered more suitable by preservation cognoscenti as the most suitable sacrifice to an (unknown at that time) Hollywood production, that is now, ironically, one of the most famous preserved locomotives even in it's Frankenlivery finery.

At the end of the day the Hall was a far better choice than a West Country. It probably should have been something like a Jubilee, Princess Royal or Coronation to be consistent with what JK might have imagined when she wrote the book.

The first UK paperback cover looks like nothing in particular though perhaps a LNWR Claughton might be close?  Perhaps it should have been a "Schools" class? ;)

Either way it needed to be a big kettle to warm up all those potions that made it invisible to lineside muggles and impervious to other traffic on the line.

I don't remember the locomotive being referred to by any name in the book, though I haven't looked it up so please correct me if that is wrong. "Hogwarts Castle" is certainly the building and "Hogwarts Express" is the train. 

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Not sure if anyone has noticed - the slide bars on the new Hornby Hall are actually the correct orientation i.e. flat rather than 'on end'. Check out Captainalbino's photo of the loco on its back above which shows this to good effect. That's better than both the Hornby Grange and Bachmann Hall! They are appear to be braced by rather chunky looking brackets. Again, a big improvement on the Grange.

I see the Railroad version is fitted with 3-pole motor and flywheel. Does anyone know if the "full" version will feature the same or a 5-pole? Also, does anyone know if the axles on these are fitted with brass bearings like the Castle & 28xx?

The outside steam pipes look wrong, they do not even come out at the right angle down on to the running plate.

The buffers also seem to be over scale on the model. 

I do not agree. For the money it is good value. Based on the real thing that the model has been based,  the angle and position look the same. I too, was sceptical at first, but I think I have become too used to Bachmann's inaccurate modified Hall steam pipes on the original Hall.  I was going to carve them off and replace with some Nucast ones, but having seen the model now, I shall not bother. The buffers appear to have the same proportions to the buffer beam as the preserved Olton Hall. I am looking forward to my 4901 arriving. It is a very economical way to produce 4941 which was unique and had the cut away cylinders with the valve recess similar to the early 47xx.

post-9992-0-42514700-1422434817_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-69638600-1422434821.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comparison photo's CaptainAlbino. The thing that strikes me most strongly is how similar the two models are. Apparent discrepancies aside I think this shows just how close to prototype the manufacturers have come. For my money Bachmann are nearer with the 'face' but Hornby have finer and more distinct moulding (even with things that shouldn't be moulded like various handraills!).

Not sure if anyone has noticed - the slide bars on the new Hornby Hall are actually the correct orientation i.e. flat rather than 'on end'. Check out Captainalbino's photo of the loco on its back above which shows this to good effect. That's better than both the Hornby Grange and Bachmann Hall! They are appear to be braced by rather chunky looking brackets. Again, a big improvement on the Grange.

I see the Railroad version is fitted with 3-pole motor and flywheel. Does anyone know if the "full" version will feature the same or a 5-pole? Also, does anyone know if the axles on these are fitted with brass bearings like the Castle & 28xx?

No brass axle bearings I'm afraid, no brake rigging as previously said, no water scoop moulding under the tender either, but it does have tender pickups as well as on all six driving wheels.

And as was said earlier, the slidebars are much improved, have a real prototypical heavyweight look about them.

Hi Callum,

Took a look at your YouTube review this morning, enjoyed it very much.  (of course! ;)  )

R.E.

Thanks R.E.! Glad you enjoyed and found it of help!  :locomotive: Love doing reviews, even if they take me all day to get right (and even then there are a few errors :jester: ). Running video is just on the way. :declare:

Following on from my review of the all new Hornby R3169 RailRoad 'Olton Hall', here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a rake of 5 Hornby BR Maroon Mk1's, creating a train very similar to as seen in the 'Harry Potter' films. 
As can be seen she is a superb performer, with smooth and quite running, and having no issues around bends or over point work. An excellent model indeed, I feel!  :locomotive: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPtFIZuS6CI

post-20663-0-18664700-1422463134.png

Archived