Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

Hornby were running their 4901 "Adderley Hall" on a test layout last weekend, at The Great Dorset Steam Fair, and nothing could have prepared me for THAT shade of green! :O

post-20657-0-57475000-1441741553_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I beg to differ Ian the Hornby one is cheap but not when you have to buy plates and a can of spray paint, it make sense to get a Bachmann one even better a good S/H one.   :toclue:

You don't HAVE to buy new plates and spray paint. That's your choice. I am more than happy to run them straight from the box with no modificaion. Having had several Bachmann Hall's, I definitely prefer the performance of the new Hornby Hall.  

• RMweb Gold

I beg to differ Ian the Hornby one is cheap but not when you have to buy plates and a can of spray paint, it make sense to get a Bachmann one even better a good S/H one.   :toclue:

The Bachmann Hall of which I have 3 is not in my experience a good performer.I am a fan of Bachmann's products but this is one I'm afraid I find I consider an underachiever.Admittedly,there is an issue with pea soup green with the Hornby version.I've had Adderley Hall weathered to lessen the visual shock and it does to a certain extent.Remember both versions require etched plates.

The haulage capacity of each version is strained by Bachman Mark 1's but as Adderley Hall is a GWR version that's no bother.Ultimately,It's a matter of personal taste .In my case....oddly enough.....it's Hornby 's cheapo which scores even if it's far from perfect .Maybe one day....after I've been transferred to Dai Woodhams in the sky....we'll get a proper job.Who knows,we may even get a Modified Hall that actually looks like its prototype and performs to acceptable standards.

You should've introduced yourself Matt :no: The loco ran continuously over 3 x 12 hour days, with minor disruption from minor intervention...

You probably did see me. :) I had my cousin with me (Very loud, reasonably boisterous) :jester:

Minor intervention...was that the buffer breakage? I take it an excitable child put their fingers on the line?

post-20657-0-31315200-1441812328_thumb.jpg

(And no, it wasn't me who did it.)

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian I thinks we should agree to disagree on this one, personally I have no problems with my 3 Bachmann one's my Hornby one well I wish I had not wasted my money.

Enjoy your train set . :jester:

Indeed agree to disagree.

• RMweb Premium

You probably did see me. :) I had my cousin with me (Very loud, reasonably boisterous) :jester:

Minor intervention...was that the buffer breakage? I take it an excitable child put their fingers on the line?

attachicon.gifS2080053 - 1.jpg

(And no, it wasn't me who did it.)

Regards,

Matt

Yup, that'd be the cause - thankfully I wasn't short of glue Was pulled in for a quick repair and sent on its way again!

• RMweb Premium

Yup, that'd be the cause - thankfully I wasn't short of glue Was pulled in for a quick repair and sent on its way again!

Well that wasn't very prototypical. You should have hauled it dead round the track a few times "on its way to works/shed for repair". Then brought it back out later with a new lick of paint to go with the repair.

• RMweb Premium

Well that wasn't very prototypical. You should have hauled it dead round the track a few times "on its way to works/shed for repair". Then brought it back out later with a new lick of paint to go with the repair.

I definitely agree with you on that lick of paint. That green on the Hall is ghastly!

Archived