National Coal Board - Royd Hall Drift & Royal Oak Sidings.

• RMweb Gold

Bit by bit I have been editing this topic. Some posts, both mine and replies, have had to be chopped because otherwise they wouldn't make sense without the pictures. I have been unable to restore all of the pictures but most are back now, so I hope you can continue to enjoy the topic.

As the railway is now more or less complete there is very little going on now, but the tippler gearbox packed up during a running session with friends and so needs to come out and be repaired or replaced.

The newest addition to the loco fleet was in action that day but has only just been finished after recieving my order of plates from Narrow Planet.

attachicon.gifGambier1.jpg

attachicon.gifGambier2.jpg

This, the Hunslet that has been an on-going saga for over a year, was finished at the weekend by an application of weathering. I wanted to have it in a tidy but used condition and I think I have achieved that.

Hi Ruston,

Well done for taking the time and trouble to repost. Too many threads on here are now useless, because all of the pictures have done, which is a shame.  So 10 out of 10 for making the effort. You have a superb layout, and it deserves to be shown off.

Love the new loco - is that kit built, or acquired?

Rich

Hi Ruston,

Well done for taking the time and trouble to repost. Too many threads on here are now useless, because all of the pictures have done, which is a shame.  So 10 out of 10 for making the effort. You have a superb layout, and it deserves to be shown off.

Love the new loco - is that kit built, or acquired?

Rich

Hi Rich,

It is kit-built. The whole story here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105173-hunslet-0-4-0t-kit-build/

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Whilst browsing Smiths on my break this morning I came across the April issue of RM, I rarely buy magazines that I can’t look through before I buy to check the contents are worth buying, but made a rare exception today when the words ‘Royd Hall Drift Mine’ leapt off the front cover at me. Cracking article of a superb (imho) layout, really enjoyed it and one that I’ll keep when the rest of the magazine gets pulped.

The ‘Brucie Bonus’ being that the issue also includes an article by Gordon Gravett on how he paints a 16T mineral wagon.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

A great article - I'm going to have to buy next month's now as well, to read the article about Royd Hall Drift's loco's.

Generally well above average RM this month, Railway of the Month is spectacular too.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This railway has been out of use for almost a year now. I am currently waiting on a friend who is supposed to be fabricating a steel structure to replace the wooden one but I'm wondering if it's ever going to happen.

wagons-003.jpg.741514ba21c901fbb9e68fda81b04610.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

This railway has been out of use for almost a year now. I am currently waiting on a friend who is supposed to be fabricating a steel structure to replace the wooden one but I'm wondering if it's ever going to happen.

wagons-003.jpg.4958e7bde70e893c3f2df44a439c9123.jpg

You have my sympathy, he's not Spanish is he perchance?, if so you haven't got a prayer.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2019 at 19:20, Enterprisingwestern said:

You have my sympathy, he's not Spanish is he perchance?, if so you haven't got a prayer.

Mike.

No, he's not Spanish.

I have ripped all the top and most of the sides off the tunnel, evicted spiders, slugs and woodlice,  and have run trains for the first time in ages. There's not a lot supporting this train as even the floor is so rotten that I can poke a finger through it! After I literally swept the track of cobwebs, dead leaves and rotting apples I didn't even need to clean the track either inside or outside the shed. All these people who faff around with rubbing and wiping their track with alcohol this and that, or buying expensive track cleaning wagons, make me laugh. I rubbed a graphite stick over this about 12 months ago.

WEST-RIDING4.jpg.1af46b99f116f9809eb9f4a4d59da071.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, (but maintaining the Spanish angle as we can't easily get decent wood over here), how about using aluminium sheet and profiles to rebuild with, as it's cutting, drilling and bolting/pop riveting might it be more within your personal remit? With the added advantage of no wood rot!

Mike.

On 23/09/2019 at 19:12, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just a thought, (but maintaining the Spanish angle as we can't easily get decent wood over here), how about using aluminium sheet and profiles to rebuild with, as it's cutting, drilling and bolting/pop riveting might it be more within your personal remit? With the added advantage of no wood rot!

Mike.

The idea is, apprently, to make the new one out of industrial cable tray for the floor and galvanised steel sheet for the sides, with a clear perspex top that is clipped on, rather than screwed as the wooden tops were. Having the top clear means that in the case of a stoppage I can see exactly where it is and it should also be less spider and other nasty-friendly, being as how they like the dark.

But still nothing has happened so I'm thinking of doing it myself and having the cable tray floor and no sides and roof at all. I'll put a kind of awning above the railway and cover it in roofing felt to keep most of the rain off and what does land on the tracks will simply drain through the tray. I'll Just plug the holes in the shed when not in use.

WEST-RIDING1.jpg.125058e1bfcc3658668ed38302ce1eba.jpg

WEST-RIDING2.jpg.98cbf748f41b246f97cf1f6b2baf3646.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As you have the woodwork skills consider the use of 18mm exterior ply or OSB. A couple of coats of bitumen paint will ensure it out lives the both of us. If the sheet is cut to form a 9" wide curve continuous sides can be attached. UPVC plastic is available at reasonable cost in a variety of widths. I guess a couple of 3 metre x 150mm would do the trick. I like the transparent top idea but it might take some finding at Yorkshire's favourite price.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Bravo,Sir.  I had to look three times at least before I realised this was a model.  

What gave it away? Only the clarity of the photograph gave it away for me.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Due to a downturn in the demand for coal, Royd Hall drift was mothballed for almost a year but one day staff from the Central Workshops were ordered to get everything ready for a resumption of production. Here we see the engine shed doors open for the first time in months to reveal a Ruston 165DE being checked over before start-up.

165royd.jpg.ad1861c49b3acd4ba44c51f4407e2c7a.jpg

In reality, I've spenf most of the day tidying my shed. I can now see the floor again! I've also cleared the O gauge railway of all the crap that was littering it, especially the fiddle yard, which was completely covered in rubbish and half-built OO projects.

With the weather improving, and having not much else to do right now, I thought I'd get it running again. Whilst the weather is fine the state of the outdoor part doesn't matter. In fact having no top makes things easier as in the case of a stoppage I simply outside and give the train a shove, without having to unscrew the lid.

The Ruston has actually been in its shed all winter. All the locomotives are usually kept in the house unless they are being run but I forgot about this one. Fortunately, the tyres haven't gone rusty.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 24/03/2020 at 18:06, Osgood said:

The spiders in the pit must be huge by the look of those webs :D

They breed 'em big in Yorkshire, lad.  Tha' shud see the flys they catches.  Like B52 bombers tha' knows.

• Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/04/2020 at 22:09, boody227 said:

Do you have any photos of the side tippler assembly since the photo bucket saga? I'm currently planning a colliery layout and am wanting to build a side tippler.

Thanks 

Luke

I don't think I took any photos of it under construction. If I did I don't have them now.

I didn't make any drawings or plans but just built it after looking at photos. You need to experiment with the height of the pivot and make sure you have enough weight in the tippler for it to come back to its resting place and sit flush with the rail tops. Also, the counterbalance weight needs to be heavy enough to hold in place the heaviest wagon that you intend to use.

Cheers. I'll have a think and start some research. 

Much appreciated. 

Your layout is a massive inspiration for me and am planning on making a similar track plan.

Cheers, Luke 

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

I don't think I took any photos of it under construction. If I did I don't have them now.

I didn't make any drawings or plans but just built it after looking at photos. You need to experiment with the height of the pivot and make sure you have enough weight in the tippler for it to come back to its resting place and sit flush with the rail tops. Also, the counterbalance weight needs to be heavy enough to hold in place the heaviest wagon that you intend to use.

There is a cheat method using a Bowden cable to mimic the prototypical hydraulic rams.