East London Finescale Model Railway Exhibition 2nd / 3rd November 2013

andytrains

• RMweb Premium

There is a selection of American themed railway books on the clubs 2nd hand book stall aswell  as British ones.

Just about to leave home for the venue.

I hope you find some left, at £5-6 each they were going like hot cakes.

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from this show, which was truly excellent.  Amazing layouts - only one I thought was a little off the mark but mentioning no names etc.  I was particularly impressed with (in no particular order) Thunders Hill (3mm Gauge), Whiteoak (stunning buildings), Leysdown (scenery), St. Merryn (excellent), Yellow Ridge (unbelievable realism), and Rowlands Castle (all over pure quality - I've seen it before but it still blows me away).  Sadly no pictures - hopefully others can post some.  Downsides?  It seems some rotten scoundrels have already "had it away" with the all the best goodies off the secondhand stand :(  Shame on you.....

polybear

Some of mine. St Merryn was the best by miles.

Rowlands Castle

post-7186-0-01554100-1383497060.jpg

post-7186-0-61437000-1383497069.jpg

post-7186-0-70750700-1383497079.jpg

post-7186-0-31748500-1383497089.jpg

post-7186-0-76928100-1383497106.jpg

post-7186-0-30696000-1383497142.jpg

St Merryn

post-7186-0-28182600-1383497158.jpgpost-7186-0-79318900-1383497171.jpg

post-7186-0-41849600-1383497182.jpg

post-7186-0-04635500-1383497191.jpg

post-7186-0-34365000-1383497237.jpg

post-7186-0-22189400-1383497284.jpg

A good show but badly needs more general Trade support, sadly no one there was selling Paint . With all the restrictions on postage and the general non existence of model Shops it is becoming a real and expensive pain to buy of all things Paint !!

• RMweb Premium

I went this morning, came away very satisfied. I thought there was an excellent selection of layouts on show - high quality smaller layouts are what I prefer these days and there were plenty to be seen! The running on St Merryn and Leysdown had to be seen to be believed - both layouts are fine adverts for P4.

Nice to see "Thunders Hill" again, it was always one of my favourites, also Jas Millham's super little S scale BR/ER(ex-GE) gem whose name escapes me.

Not much secondhand to be seen on Sunday - the till must have been very busy yesterday! Oh well, I saved my money....

I agree with Mick's comment re. trade - I usually stock up on nameplates, paint, transfers etc at shows and apart from some figures from Dart Castings I came away empty handed.

• RMweb Premium

You have to get there early Saturday morning to get the bargains. As I said earlier I picked up 6 books >>

'The Chicago Tunnel Story' £6

'The Anglo-Chilean Nitrate and Railway Company' £4

'A history of the Metropolitan Railway' £4

'New England Short lines 1970-1980' £3

and 2 booklets, a reprint of a 1940's paper on interurbans and a 1970's guide book to the Indian railway museum.

I made the trip today.  Any show that has Harton Gill, St Merryn, Rookfield [Jas Millham's S scale portable] and Rowlands Castle  has to be worth a visit and there were other good 'uns too.  The venue is nice and airy but hard luck to the layouts placed by the huge windows when the sun shines.  The location does not help and I long for East Ham Town Hall where the first one was held.  Nonetheless it was worth the organisers' while opening today.

I thought the mix of trade stands good.  The one model shop stand - bit unkind to call John Dutfield a box shifter - had a boxed item that has eluded me for several weeks so he goes up a few points in my estimation.  According to the exhibition guide, a snip at 50p but with no layout plans, that stand offered paint but as I was not looking for any myself I did not notice whether it was on sale.

We had some fun at St Merryn working out how a Terrier could have been seen in Cornwall.  That layout really is a showpiece for P4. 

Chris

Guest Celticwardog

I'm not a particular fan of O gauge but though Whiteoak was excellent, the way the exquisite buildings formed the backscene was great.

I thought the mix of trade stands good.  The one model shop stand - bit unkind to call John Dutfield a box shifter - had a boxed item that has eluded me for several weeks so he goes up a few points in my estimation.  According to the exhibition guide, a snip at 50p but with no layout plans, that stand offered paint but as I was not looking for any myself I did not notice whether it was on sale.

I did ask him , he had about a dozen old tins in a little box !!  . He said he has more in the shop , sadly thats Chelmsford not viable a journey for me !!

• RMweb Premium

The one model shop stand - bit unkind to call John Dutfield a box shifter - had a boxed item that has eluded me for several weeks so he goes up a few points in my estimation.  According to the exhibition guide, a snip at 50p but with no layout plans, that stand offered paint but as I was not looking for any myself I did not notice whether it was on sale.

I believe I did see some jars of paint (Railmatch?) on John Dutfield's stand....

Edit:  I've just read micklner's post above, so perhaps he didn't have any jars after all :sorry_mini:

• RMweb Premium

I popped along today. The layout standard was high, Leysdown was my favourite.

I better not mention trains passing the starter signal only to shunt back to the station, locos not in their right habitat, cranked hand point levers facing the wrong way, lack of point rodding, signal box where there was no need for (or any in sight) signals etc.

I had a good look at Bill Bedford's cast loco chassis, very impressed. Hurry up Bill and do some diesel shunter frames.

I'm not a particular fan of O gauge but though Whiteoak was excellent, the way the exquisite buildings formed the backscene was great.

Thank you, very kind to say so.

We thoroughly enjoyed exhibiting Whiteoak in the company of so many good layouts in front of an appreciative audience, the warm welcome form the hosts was very much appreciated.

Martin

I popped along today. The layout standard was high, Leysdown was my favourite.

I better not mention trains passing the starter signal only to shunt back to the station, locos not in their right habitat, cranked hand point levers facing the wrong way, lack of point rodding, signal box where there was no need for (or any in sight) signals etc.

I had a good look at Bill Bedford's cast loco chassis, very impressed. Hurry up Bill and do some diesel shunter frames.

I don't know whether the train passing the starter and shunting back is a reference to the pick-up freight on Empingham, but if it is, the move is deliberate. It would not be employed if there were an inspector present. By keeping the empties attached to the loco tender, while running the brake van round the remainder of the train, involves a technical SPAD as a couple of the empties go past the starter, but it saves two moves over the technically correct method, which involves shunting the empties onto the back of the train before running the guards van round. Some of our operators do it the technically correct way; others, including myself, use the move saving method. There is no danger, as the outer home is 440 yards beyond the starter and no train would be approaching anyway. The line is level, so there is no danger even if there was a breakaway. We have been told by at least one professional railwayman that that is how they would have done it if no-one in authority was around. After all, it follows one of the basic railwaymens' rules of operation - that railwayman do not make unnecessary work for themselves. We do try to get the operation realistic on Empingham, even if it leads to the occasional bending of a Rule. 

Peter Rumbelow

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the issue of paint supplies, and others may be able to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that John Dutfield of Chelmsford has one of the most comprehensive stocks around for those that can get there. Precision, Railmatch, Humbrol, Revell, and so forth along with much else besides. Well worth a visit. 

Izzy

Archived