GLOSSY Hornby A4's ON GOING PROJECT. 4464,4468,4498, ETC CUSTOMISING THE Hornby MODEL

Rob Hayes

Also, I apologise if this is off topic, but would a Hornby RR Flying Scotsman tender be to the same design? Because I know someone who has one surplus to requirements.

Regards,

Peter

The Flying Scotsman has a 1928 corridor tender. Correct for some A4's but not 60012. 

• 1 year later...

Oh my I'm so sorry I've not logged in for ages now nearly 2 years !!! My gosh I'm so sorry if I seemed rude I will reply properly soon. I will also do more on this thread soon.

I've been really busy since completing mallard I've been through some massive life changes with. Jobs and life I joined a Hard Rock band called Sister Shotgun and that's been taking up much of my time as we recorded an ep wrote new music and performed at gigs and festivals around the country.

I will resume this soon. All the best Rob :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh my I'm so sorry I've not logged in for ages now nearly 2 years !!! My gosh I'm so sorry if I seemed rude I will reply properly soon. I will also do more on this thread soon.

I've been really busy since completing mallard I've been through some massive life changes with. Jobs and life I joined a Hard Rock band called Sister Shotgun and that's been taking up much of my time as we recorded an ep wrote new music and performed at gigs and festivals around the country.

I will resume this soon. All the best Rob :)

I remember the green very well (Grantham 1959.... you have captured them perfectly) I will use your method to make my Midland Compound look like it did after restoration. A4'S, Duchesses, Kings etc, in the main were kept reasonably respectable in the late '50s, I remember 46234 at Crewe in 1958 she was filthy and I thought at the time....why? the others I had seen that day were beautiful. Wish I could go back!!

Mike

I think you have done a great job with the varnishing to make the model look like a metal object painted with care. I too hold to the comment made a while back about real coal, and I would add, a dusting of black pastel powder on the smoke box which always is a flatter black, martyn welch discusses i think 19 different blacks used to produce a black engine. I would also lightly dust the ridge line of the boiler for where the soot accumilates. I do not think it would draw away from the ex works looks, but rather enhance it. There was a lnwr loco in mrj which had been done and the comment from the author was how long it took to make something look clean.

Just my thoughts, it is your model and it looks good already,

Richard

• 2 months later...

Well I am finally back at it after a difficult few years. I always intend to be back here and something gets in the way its only been a few years.....

However here is a short video as promised I will do better ones soon. Just give her a few tweaks today and will be showing you Bittern and Sir Nigel Gresley soon.

I am please Hornby are now producing Gloss LNER locos so I been buying those up.

Here is Mallard as is today :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbkWISdWALM

Edited by Rob Hayes
  • Like 1

Hi Rob

I hope everything is going ok for you.

I too have an A4 in the form of 60029 Woodcock.

I am wondering if there is a possibility of converting the rear wheels under the cab to the old swinging rear pony set as modelled in the 90s.

This is so I can make it easier for the loco to run backwards over turnouts without derailments.

Any ideas, also I hope I am not committing a cardinal sin by asking.

I'm surprised this is happening. Is your track flat....

Hi Rob

I hope everything is going ok for you.

I too have an A4 in the form of 60029 Woodcock.

I am wondering if there is a possibility of converting the rear wheels under the cab to the old swinging rear pony set as modelled in the 90s.

This is so I can make it easier for the loco to run backwards over turnouts without derailments.

Any ideas, also I hope I am not committing a cardinal sin by asking.

Hi mate thanks for the kind words.

I know what you mean if your using the flanged wheels they don't like tight radius but the flangeless ones are ok if the track is flat otherwise they catch.

I have been thinking about modding this myself I cant understand why Hornby didn't do what Mainline did with the 56XX or is it 66XX GWR 0-6-2. Its been a while since I saw one but I think it rotated or the wheels each side had a lot of side play. Actually thinking about it. It might be a 14XX its so long since I have seen one now I'm not so sure.

either way there is plenty of room there to make a new way for that wheel to attach to something.

At some point ill get the plasticard our and make something for it if I can and give you the details here.

All the best Rob :)

I tried this with the Hornby brit and with the rear pony being metal it gave strength to the rebuilt wheelse, but with the rear pony on the A3/4 locos being plastic it is complicated by the threat of the plastic breaking.

Just been thinking the New Bachmann A4 locos have a fantastic chassis under them with a metal fixed rear truck. and much better looking wheels than the Hornby model with the thick tyres on. The rear truck has a sprung articulated rear wheel that is flanged. if you can figure out a way to fit that under the Hornby body should be a winner. Might have a go myself.

Hi David W

My track is about as flat as I can get it. I decided to usecthe flanged wheels on it as the unflanged wheels have wide metal tyres that can occasionally cause shorts. It's a case of trying to minimise the risk of causing a short which is why I am looking to convert the pony truck to swing.

Just wondering if the front wheel pony could be taken from a Lima class 40 or Bachmann/jouef 40 or perhaps an old mainline class 45 and the flanged wheel held by that and then somehow mounted that might work :)

At the moment anything is worth a try.

I am also considering completely removing the section of the chassis where the under cab wheels sit and just fit a 1990s Hornby A3/4 pony in place.

Some modifications in terms of clearances may need to be made but if it works it will be worth it.

Well you will have to remove some metal anyways but you could probably leave the plastic truck in place which does look better and have enough swing for the small wheel. Best of both worlds. That said the old style one ain't bad but your wheel may not fit that old style bogie.

Always a hurdle to get over that's where the fun is :)

• 1 year later...

Well it’s about time I got on with this it’s only been a few years... life has been hard recently !

Here are some shots of Mallard and Bittern and now all these years on a modified Dapol A4 that was heavily damaged so I made it as it is preserved.

44376265392_5af67fec9c_o.jpg

Untitled by robriff1, on Flickr

44376301522_8ddda1256a_o.jpg

Untitled by robriff1, on Flickr

I’ve started a new Channel on YouTube here you can see Mallard Running.

https://youtu.be/HrmupTIlup4

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by Rob Hayes
  • Like 2

I wish I could remeber how to share the video link with the image on here. Any ideas ?

I Copy`d & paste address bar in You-tube my video come to

RM Web post with attachment then pasted below. Here are my A4s Blue

on the Severn Crescent Railway. Hope it works Rob.

Edited by DonnyRailMan

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never been convinced by really flat matt paint on models, unless weathered too.  Satin is a good compromise (I resprayed a cheap Midland red Jinty from a black satin rattle can, added straw non-shaded LMS decals, and it looks more convincing than my factory black locos).  The A4s in particular really don't suit a completely matt finish, so I like what's been done here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
On 15/12/2019 at 19:20, rogerzilla said:

Never been convinced by really flat matt paint on models, unless weathered too.  Satin is a good compromise (I resprayed a cheap Midland red Jinty from a black satin rattle can, added straw non-shaded LMS decals, and it looks more convincing than my factory black locos).  The A4s in particular really don't suit a completely matt finish, so I like what's been done here.

Agree

• Like 1