Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

Hello All,

Thought I'd start a new topic - "Lines in the Landscape". As the title suggests, this is the place to put your photos where the train/railway is just a part of the overall landscape. Could be town or country - the railway might dominate the landscape or may just be a tiny part of it.

First up is a Cl.175/1 on the sea wall near Ferryside this Aguust, working the Arriva Trains Wales 19.08 Milford Haven to Cardiff service.

Regards,

P

post-6880-0-69022500-1379767848.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

66713 lost amongst the big scenery along the Settle - Carlisle line approaching Dent station on 1st July 2005. 

Green 3 Cig 1498 amongst the gorse and heather of the New Forest approaching the former Lymington Junction on 31st July 2005.

Edited to add second photo.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 11

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the Aire valley between Cononley and Skipton in North Yorkshire on 22nd September 2014, whilst waiting for a couple of 66 workings to Rylstone quarry (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73177-class-66-photosuk/page-20&do=findComment&comment=1599285), the local Northern Rail services from Bradford Forster Square and Leeds provide a regular service to Skipton using class 333 units.

2S26, 12.41 Bradford Forster Square to Skipton

2H42, 13.26 Leeds to Skipton 

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-224-0-79022000-1414315908.jpg

66147 coasts down from Seaton tunnel onto the Welland Valley (Harringworth) viaduct with the 05:51 Margam T.C. to Corby B.S.C steel coil train on time at 15:12 on Friday 17 October 2014 while Seaton church spire keeps watch in the distance.

Geoff

• Like 12

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A Northern Rail 158 crosses Copley Viaduct on the approach to Milner Royd Junction in (rare!) Autumn sunshine with 2M08, 11:18 Leeds to Manchester Victoria, on 25th November 2014.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Bournemouth - Manchester Class 220 crosses the River Avon near Christchurch this morning.

Any pylon spotters amongst us?

How about lampposts, Peter?

I think this really ought to be in the section for how not to take photos. Anyway, it was taken in Luton during the time when they'd just grubbed up the final remains of the old GNR branchline on which some kind of retail 'park' was to be built looking over to the Midland mainline.

post-2411-0-78103900-1420121689.jpg

And I took this from Northfleet station looking southwards (roughly towards Southfleet) The lines were built to transport cement trains from the nearby cement works and were built over the park in which we, as kids, played. By the time of this photo, the traffic had ceased, but it was interesting while it lasted and used to see large diesels on the front end of the trains - 44's or 45's, but I never had the wit to photograph them- probably because I was on my way waiting for my morning train to Charing Cross (so, only just awake, then)

This area, or, rather, the area just beyond the rails shown here, is now Ebbsfleet. It seems nowadays that old Northfleet is forgotten since everyone (with the exceptions of locals) are beginning to call the area Ebbsfleet. 

post-2411-0-40401300-1420122245.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surrounded by the big landscape of the Settle & Carlisle line on 1st July 2005.

156472 a short distance north of the exit from Blea Moor tunnel.

66219 crosses Ribblehead Viaduct.

• Like 9