Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Gold

Everything I learned about diesels I instantly forgot when I packed in photographing them.  I referred to the Class 47's as Brush Type 4's not because I'm rather ancient but because I do not know which ones have been re-engined and maybe given new Tops classification. Similarly, Class 37's are 37's but one French lady (I use the term loosely) said to me, "No wonder I do not understand you when you call them Class 37's and they are not!"............. Followed by song & verse on their renumbering. So I tread with care amongst post-steam modernists. :smoke:

They're still EE Type 3s to me at times although I did get to grip with some of the new numbers (and I even had my own little fleet of them which I used in my final big railway job to make good money for my employers and - by a weird twist of fate - for HM Govt).

• Like 1

Llandscape around Llanberis....29th October 2005....

post-6680-0-70218000-1428524392.jpg

Buzzes in't landscape. North Western Road Car bus passing Cross Keys just above Delph in 1970 on the 14 route from Uppermill to Manchester Lever Street via Oldham....(Kodak Instamatic).

post-6680-0-52944200-1428524551_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

Just occasionally this series of photos looks like "trains too far away to be seen" but I must it's very refreshing after the habitual 3/4 front end of loco shots you often see as a record of someone's "day out on the Bluebell Line". Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was holding the camera level, honest.   :)

66739 eases its trailing load of 1,600 tons of limestone from Rylstone quarry gently down the gradient of the Grassington branch towards Skipton on 21st April 2015.

66739 6M19 Rylstone to Wellingborough Gbrf 

• Like 8

A bleak day at Ribblehead

med_gallery_6994_2903_684591.jpg

18th April 2008

No idea what type the DMU is.

Photoshop jiggery pokery confession: the sky has been "enhanced" using a graduated layer then compressing the levels, the overall colour has been tweaked by increasing the saturation and there was a figure in a high vis suit walking up the path to the left of the viaduct near the white vans, he has been expunged, nothing personal just he stood out like, well like a lone figure in a high vis suit on a dull day! I thought about taking out the white vans and I'm still not sure that I should have!

• Like 9

An unknown DRS class 66 passes over Whalley Viaduct with a working from Carlisle to Crewe which was pathed over the S&C line on 15th April 2015.  The Colas Rail logs was not that far behind but I could not hand around long enough to see it.

post-25512-0-84056500-1430161582_thumb.jpg

Freightliner Class 66 66551 heads up the WCML today just south of Carnforth with a empty coal train from Garston in Liverpool to Hunterston.

post-25512-0-53341800-1430161758_thumb.jpg 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

60087 heads eastwards along the Calder Valley at Bradley Wood with 6E32, 08:48 Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey Oil Refinery, on 1st May 2015.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In the shadow of Corfe Castle, 45060 eases the 10:40 from Swanage to Norden out of the station on 7th May 2015 as part of the Swanage Railway's 'Go West' preview event prior to the start of the Diesel Gala on 8th May.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A few from the Swanage Railway Diesel Gala on 8th May 2015.

56006 and 33201 slow for the stop at Norden.

Class 25 5185 departs Norden and heads for the next stop at Corfe Castle.

50035 crosses Corfe viaduct approaching the stop at Corfe Castle.

• Like 6

Lines in an urban landscape again, here a timelapse of about 20-25 mins at Strood, taken from Frindsbury churchyard.

For orientation, we're looking broadly S, with the Medway viaducts (M2 motorway and HS1) in the distance. Rochester is over the River Medway to the left (E), the line to Sole Street/Victoria heads off to the right, and the line towards Gravesend/St Pancras/Charing Cross to the bottom right of the view.

The sequence starts with a down train from Victoria, then the action switches to the station, with a late-running down Charing Cross-Gillingham train just as the Maidstone line train comes in to connect into and out of the St Pancras Javelins. Meanwhile, an Allington-Whatley Quarry aggregate empties creeps up to the signal. The Gillingham-Charing Cross train comes in just as the Maidstone train leaves (not intended to connect), an ECS stops on the curve towards Rochester (left of shot) just as a down Victoria passes, and eventually the aggregate empties are on the move. If you watch really closely on the distant viaduct, there's a Javelin on HS1 (right end of viaduct) at about 0'38".

Works a bit better at a larger size, and I'm not sure about the flickering effect of the clouds moving across.

Taken with 3-second intervals.

It's almost like being at an exhibition.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5