Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

I am posting this one with a question.  I took this photo in 1975 on a visit to North Wales but I can't remember where it was.  Chances are I took it after visiting the Talyllyn, Ffestiniog or Snowdon Mountain Railways.  Does anybody recognise this spot?

29726577443_bb0f9cec30_c.jpg

• Like 8

I am posting this one with a question.  I took this photo in 1975 on a visit to North Wales but I can't remember where it was.  Chances are I took it after visiting the Talyllyn, Ffestiniog or Snowdon Mountain Railways.  Does anybody recognise this spot?

29726577443_bb0f9cec30_c.jpg

Looks to me like Penrhyndeudraeth?

Yes - a little to the West of Penrhyndeudraeth.  It's the north end of Minffordd station (where the BR line goes under the Ffestiniog).  The hill in the background is Y Garth - composed of a dolerite sill that was being quarried out, with blasting taking place on an almost daily basis.  (I did my undergraduate Geology field mapping around Penrhyndeudraeth).

The name rings a bell (even after all these years!) and it does look like it.  I must have taken the photo after I visited the Ffestiniog Railway.  I do recall having time to spare and walking across the causeway and a bit further on afterwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great pic, remains of groyne in the foreground?

Thanks.  Here's the next one in the sequence, a few seconds later, showing a bit more of the sea defences.  The groynes are mostly in quite good condition.  The "remains" which appear to be isolated stumps in the sea bed are actually remains of the red sandstone rock.  Ultimately all the stacks along the coast, Parson, Clerk and all, will erode like this and eventually vanish.

i-vMvk3db-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No train unfortunately...........Melbourne to Sydney mainline near Jindalee, New South Wales

attachicon.gifIMG_2238_lowres.jpg

You'd wait a looooooong time there to photograph a train.  Especially in daylight.  The Worms (XPT passenger services) are among the few regular workings.  There's more freight but a lot runs overnight.  Last time I came south from Sydney on the Worm we crossed a freighter at Leightonfield in outer suburban Sydney and the next wasn't until 900kms later at Tallarook loop just north of Melbourne.

Memories from my field mapping in North Wales during the Summer of 1979 (stirred by the earlier picture at Minffordd).

Ffestiniog's "MOUNTAINEER" holds up traffic as it departs Tanygrisiau (the then FR terminus) bunker-first.

post-10122-0-70482200-1477512317_thumb.jpg

Earlier in the day, two views of the BR station at Blaenau Ffestiniog from the slate quarries opposite the town.  (I don't have the numbers forthe DMU in the second shot!)

post-10122-0-65580700-1477512312_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-09584300-1477512315_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

You'd wait a looooooong time there to photograph a train.  Especially in daylight.  The Worms (XPT passenger services) are among the few regular workings.  There's more freight but a lot runs overnight.  Last time I came south from Sydney on the Worm we crossed a freighter at Leightonfield in outer suburban Sydney and the next wasn't until 900kms later at Tallarook loop just north of Melbourne.

The QUBE train from Harefield normally goes through here around 1700hrs most days and it was in fact a picture of a QUBE grain at the same spot in beautiful evening light taken a few weeks ago that prompted me to go there.

A week after taking this shot I saw two PN freights in the area around midday although I was in the wrong position at the time. With a bit of forward planning and train tracking software there is usually something t be seen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another photograph that I took in 1975 and forgot to note down where it was taken - it might be somewhere near Regents Park but I'm not sure....

That's District Line R-stock so nowhere near Regent's Park which is served by the Bakerloo Line and passed (nearby) by the Metropolitan Line.  Ravenscourt Park would be nearer the mark but the lower level line in the foreground is a giveaway.  That is the westbound Richmond branch and the train is on the Ealing Broadway route parallel with Piccadilly Line tracks.  It's Chiswick Park; the station of that name is off to the left (west) and Turnham Green station which is the junction with the Richmond branch is slightly farther off to the right (east).