Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

Underground trains in the landscape, from 1987...

Somewhere near Old Oak Common, Central line 1962 stock:

453558340_OldOakCommonarea1987.jpg.6a41bbea5696f75df66ad9b3ed0a076a.jpg

Isle of Wight. I thought the 485 units were 3-car and 4-car units, but this one's 5 by the look of it, the middle car with a different roof colour:

1147627906_IsleofWight1987.jpg.81a621e4b2db5d116e3fd913fa4ecfd2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2020 at 14:09, eastwestdivide said:

Underground trains in the landscape, from 1987...

Isle of Wight. I thought the 485 units were 3-car and 4-car units, but this one's 5 by the look of it, the middle car with a different roof colour:

You're not mistaken, but reformations of the sets during their life on the island was complicated.

Originally when introduced in 1967, class 485 (4-VEC) were four cars and class 486 (3-TIS) were three cars.

From around 1985 for a few years, reformations were carried out to form up to 5 five cars sets and 2 two car sets.

This lasted up to around 1989 when a reduced number of three and four cars sets were again reformed. 

There are a couple of excellent published resources, but the above is taken from Tube Trains on the Isle of Wight by Brian Hardy, published by Capital Transport.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some photos from south of Dalwhinnie yesterday.

From the morning:

A Colas class 70 heads north - Does anyone know if this a regular service on the Highland Mainline or is it the diverted Aberdeen service?

A Scotrail HST heads south after passing the class 70 at Dalwhinnie.

Later in mid-afternoon :

A DRS 68 (i think) heads south followed by a LNER Azuma -i thought there was only one train to London a day and we saw the morning train heading south about 9am. Anyone know why i saw another one mid afternoon?

IMG_6595 (Large).JPG

IMG_6596 (Large).JPG

IMG_6597 (Large).JPG

IMG_6599 (Large).JPG

IMG_6601 (Large).JPG

IMG_6622 (Large).JPG

IMG_6623 (Large).JPG

IMG_6624 (Large).JPG

IMG_6627 (Large).JPG

IMG_6628 (Large).JPG

IMG_6629 (Large).JPG

IMG_6630 (Large).JPG

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

followed by a LNER Azuma -i thought there was only one train to London a day and we saw the morning train heading south about 9am. Anyone know why i saw another one mid afternoon?

Realtimetrains shows an empty working yesterday,

5Z05 1400 Inverness to Doncaster Carr IEP Depot

passing Dalwhinnie 8 mins late at 1520:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/46790/2020-08-17/detailed

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2020 at 12:08, WolfofBadenoch said:

Half of Horseshoe Curve but no train. Not the greatest photo but the wind was buffeting me a lot and for July it was far too cold to wait for a train to come along!

IMG_6569.JPG

If I remember correctly (it was half a century ago!!), the view of the curve from Ben Dorain - the mountain in your photo - is great. 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 22:10, pH said:

If I remember correctly (it was half a century ago!!), the view of the curve from Ben Dorain - the mountain in your photo - is great. 

Ben Dorain must be one of my most unlucky hills - 4 ascents not one decent view! Last time i planned to descend south off it down the very steep prow to Horseshoe curve but there was a lot of snow, it was getting dark, and we were having trouble finding a way through the bands of crags so we took the sensible decision to return over the summit and descend the normal route before a longer than planned walk back to the car. I may have seen Horseshoe Curve in the gloom on that occasion but i had other things on my mind!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

Ben Dorain must be one of my most unlucky hills - 4 ascents not one decent view! Last time i planned to descend south off it down the very steep prow to Horseshoe curve but there was a lot of snow, it was getting dark, and we were having trouble finding a way through the bands of crags so we took the sensible decision to return over the summit and descend the normal route before a longer than planned walk back to the car. I may have seen Horseshoe Curve in the gloom on that occasion but i had other things on my mind!!

There’s a normal route? We parked somewhere near the station, walked back along the military road and went just about straight up to the summit, through the middle of a herd of deer at one point. 

It’s a hill I’d love to do again. But with things as they are, I may not get to visit the UK while I’m still capable of doing it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

CN freight crossing the bridge over the Fraser River from Surrey to New Westminster:

IMG_0103-001.jpg.8217027cfb3035462426f2f85d773749.jpg

I was hoping to get a closer shot, but it turned left off the bridge, instead of right. The bridge was opened in 1904, originally with an upper deck for road traffic. Behind it is the Pattullo road bridge, opened in 1937, which replaced the road deck. And behind that again is the Skytrain (rapid transit) bridge opened in 1990.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/10/2020 at 22:23, pH said:

There’s a normal route? We parked somewhere near the station, walked back along the military road and went just about straight up to the summit, through the middle of a herd of deer at one point. 

It’s a hill I’d love to do again. But with things as they are, I may not get to visit the UK while I’m still capable of doing it.

Usual route: Leave Bridge of Orchy Station and head due east following the stream up to the col between Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain. Turn south and follow Dorain's north ridge to the summit. View south from the summit 23/6/1998:

h70.jpg.4dca9127d1282c3f68c39aac5823f567.jpg

Horshoe curve is pretty well hidden, apart from the southern end seen here. Not sure how far you'd have to descend to get a good view of it.

Nigel

Edited by NCB
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Out walking this week we came across this lonely track on Venner Moor, about 12 miles north-west of Osnabrück, Lower Saxony, Germany. The line was built for the transport of peat, large quantities of which have been extracted over the decades. The extraction continues in some areas but the railway is no longer used. Before this land was drained, it was an impassable bog and it was on a narrow strip of more forgiving land between here and the higher ground to the south that three Roman legions were ambushed and destroyed by an alliance of Germanic troops in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in AD9.

09FC7ABC-BB15-45EA-BAAA-E0E24949F533.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NCB said:

March 1987, a class 150 leaves Tywyn in the up direction, not long after being introduced. Another one stands in the station prior to heading north.

image.png.99be508217063d7bef8ffc795752dd8b.png

Nigel

A similar view from 1969.

towyn_1969_1280x720_rp.jpg.9d9ea86f82df02c19164bea6e6dee809.jpg

Martin.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Downstream, the Rother runs into the Don, where this pacer is crossing at Conisbrough in 2009. In the left background is the Earth Centre, a Millennium Project that didn't really succeed, built on the site of Cadeby Main colliery:

1079933265_Conisbrough2009.jpg.109deb3edf842d8bf142c15a72e19519.jpg

• Like 8

Posting that previous photo of Conisbrough prompted me to have a wander over there. I managed to coincide with a Derby-Doncaster-Derby Network Rail train with 67s either end, and enough of a turnround time at Doncaster for me to get from on top of the big Conisbrough viaduct back to the station for the return. So we have the viewpoint for each photo visible in the other.

Station footbridge (in green) from the viaduct:

972114080_Conisbrough1.jpg.0069b7f4ded35d6c71e597cda644cb29.jpg

Viaduct from the station footbridge:

140508535_Conisbrough2.jpg.e6f711c34f144948817efeb2e1348a97.jpg

• Like 6