Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two from a trip to Scotland I took last month.

The first is an unidentified DMU heading south, away from Rannock station

47876339531_076ddbe1e9_c.jpg

The second is an unidentifed 66, heading south through the Cairngorms

47086942254_83453f7434_c.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colas 70816 descends from the bridge, out of shot to the left, across the river Calder at Cooper Bridge as it slowly approaches the signal protecting Heaton Lodge East Junction on 31st July 2019 with 6E32, 10.07 Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey Oil Refinery.

1389110684_708166E32ColneBridge31072019-RMweb.jpg.835033a5805a45e963be1282b12962f0.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That is more likely the late 60's. In about 1974 I visited Wales and stayed at a B&B in Dolgellau. The B&B was a house built on part of the old station site, although the house was new it was not brand new.

Hi Phil,

It can't be earlier than 1969 because I can see from the negative margins that it was taken in a camera which I purchased that year. I was in Wales that year, but further north -- I have reasonably good records of my 1969 negs and they don't include the Dolgellau ones. Unfortunately my good intentions to keep full records didn't last and I have only sketchy records for subsequent years -- I didn't think I would ever forget where I'd been, but 50 years is a long time. smile.gif

My best guess is 1970-1972 -- I was abroad in 1973 and later in the 70s I was busy with work and had less time to wander about with my camera.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I moved to the Aberystwyth area at the end of 1970, and over the subsequent years used to go north quite frequently; before the bypass was built in the late 1970s all north, and indeed Bala, bound traffic had to pass over the bridge to the west of the station. So I was familar with the roofs of the two station buildings, which could be seen poking above the parapet. Unfortunately I was camera-less at the time, and so missed taking a pic. But I'm pretty sure they were there around 1972 and maybe even 1973.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new High Moselle Bridge in Germany opened on 21 November 2019. It may not be a railway but it is definitely a line in the landscape: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Moselle_Bridge

Hochmoselbr%C3%BCcke-2019-05.jpg

Wikimedia Creative Commons

That is more than double the height of Crumlin (which definitely was a railway):

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The new High Moselle Bridge in Germany opened on 21 November 2019. It may not be a railway but it is definitely a line in the landscape: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Moselle_Bridge

Hochmoselbr%C3%BCcke-2019-05.jpg

Wikimedia Creative Commons

That is more than double the height of Crumlin (which definitely was a railway):

Thanks Martin. That's the clearest image I've seen yet of viaduct guardrails on GWR bullhead track!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1