Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

One train - four landscapes. All were taken on the erstwhile Boston & Maine's Hillsborough branch between Wilton and Nashua in New Hampshire. In the three years that I lived in Nashua, this (11th May 2011) was one of the few times that I saw this train run during the day. It consisted of plastic pallet hoppers and propane tanks. The most cars I saw were five, the fewest one. The photos all show the train working back from Wilton (a passing loop at the former station beyond Milford, where the train has to work to in order to run round) to Nashua with the empties. The distance from Wilton to Nashua -15 miles, the time taken to do the journey - four hours! You wonder if a train with a crew of three and a load of four cars, working at an average speed of 3¾ mph is really viable however it does make for good photography

Crossing the Souhegan river between Wilton and Milford

post-23087-0-44478000-1444602977_thumb.jpg

Running alongside Route 101a between Milford and Nashua

post-23087-0-84778600-1444602952_thumb.jpg

From the bridge on Baldwin Street, Nashua

post-23087-0-69988200-1444602997_thumb.jpg

Crossing Main Street, Nashua

post-23087-0-90926600-1444602931_thumb.jpg

Edited by nomisd
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

One train - four landscapes. All were taken on the erstwhile Boston & Maine's Hillsborough branch between Wilton and Nashua in New Hampshire. In the three years that I lived in Nashua, this (11th May 2011) was one of the few times that I saw this train run during the day. It consisted of plastic pallet hoppers and propane tanks. The most cars I saw were five, the fewest one. The photos all show the train working back from Wilton (a passing loop at the former station beyond Milford, where the train has to work to in order to run round) to Nashua with the empties. The distance from Wilton to Nashua -15 miles, the time taken to do the journey - four hours! You wonder if a train with a crew of three and a load of four cars, working at an average speed of 3¾ mph is really viable however it does make for good photography

Crossing the Souhegan river between Wilton and Milford

attachicon.gifDSC_0093.jpg

Running alongside Route 101a between Milford and Nashua

attachicon.gifDSC_0116.jpg

From the bridge on Baldwin Street, Nashua

attachicon.gifDSC_0145.jpg

Crossing Main Street, Nashua

attachicon.gifDSC_0160.jpg

Hi nomisd

Great photos - much appreciated!

If you have more like these - I'm sure there are several members waiting patiently to see them...

Thanks

If you have more like these - I'm sure there are several members waiting patiently to see them...

I do have some more (and have more of the Hillsborough branch if anyone is interested?)

Firstly, Apex, Nevada. Apex is just north of Las Vegas and to be honest much more interesting than Vegas. There is absolutely nothing there other than a number of gypsum mines hence the interest to the industrial railway enthusiast. It, I found about six months later whilst watching it, appears in the James Bond film Diamonds are Forever.

post-23087-0-87168200-1444658732_thumb.jpg

South of Vegas is Kingman in Arizona. Its probably best known for being mentioned in the song Route 66 (and to be honest, why we visited). These three locos were parked on the northern outskirts of the town. If you ever find yourself in Kingman, do visit the Route 66 museum - its one of the best museums I have ever visited.

post-23087-0-68991300-1444658799_thumb.jpg

The next two photos are both taken in the port of Portland, Oregon. I like driving around big ports, there tend to be railways everywhere. Portland was particularly good as it had these vast wastelands in it that had nothing but roads and railway lines. I happened on this train driving along one of these roads.

post-23087-0-39164500-1444658742_thumb.jpg

This loco was just parked up on the edge of one of these wastelands. It did strike me at the time as an odd place to have a stabling point.

post-23087-0-88991900-1444658765_thumb.jpg

The next photo is one of the best industrial locations that I have visited. It is Godfrey Lumber in Statesville, North Carolina. They chip wood and load it into open wagons which are forwarded to the paper and furniture industry. The wagons are loaded via the conveyor on the left, the wagons being moved along by compressed air. When two of them are loaded the loco, a 1941 built 25 ton General Electric, takes them to the mainline exchange siding. The loco is seen heading back to pick up more wagons after depositing two. When I arrived and went into the office to explain why I wanted to do the manager replied )to be read in your best southern accent) "I have had a few people come and ask to take photographs but I ain't ever had no Englishman"!

post-23087-0-84491800-1444658847_thumb.jpg

Finally one a bit more familiar to most people - the St Ives branch taken from the footpath by West Cornwall golf club

post-23087-0-31068300-1444658778_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

More landscape than lines:

post-6971-0-36272600-1445164671.jpg

I had about 10 shots as it bobbed in and out behind buildings, and this was the best of the bunch in poor October morning light (1/500 sec; f/4.5; ISO 1600). Another shot had a great row of chimney pots, but the train was in the wrong place on that one.

Will try again some time, and if it doesn't work, it's quite a sight to first hear the sound, then see the exhaust above buildings, and then see the train appear.

• Like 2

And, so, before we cross we'll look to the left - aha! all clear

post-2411-0-35865000-1445509844_thumb.jpg

And then to the right...

post-2411-0-49113200-1445509931_thumb.jpg

A station in the east midlands in the mid nineties. I can't remember where, but a mechanical services engineer and I had to go and look at the Midland Bank there as they were tarting them up at the time. Didn't get a chance to return as another consulting engineer got that job. Lucky them. Not. 

PS: Silly me, I've just realised that the train in the second photo is travelling away from the photographer (me)

Edited by Peppercorn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...