Tunnock Yard - BR freight in the 1980's.

Wayne 37901

Hello,

With my current layout Dragon Steels now slowly heading towards completion I thought I would share an insight into the next project which will keep me busy over the winter months.

The idea is a small Speedlink yard set somewhere in Scotland that handles traffic for local freight terminals.

I had intended building something Scottish based later on, but the chance to purchase a class 26 at a bargain price was not to be missed and it was this that brought the project forward. That plus I've always had a soft spot for baby Sulzers anyway, there is just something about them even if they do sometimes sound like a bag of nails. I also have several items of Speedlink suitable stock at my disposal, so the idea kind of clicked really.

There isn't anything to show for now as it's still in the early stages.

More soon.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 16

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. The project will develop at a slow rate to start with over the winter but I intend to chart the progress here. I've been reading about your ODAs back over on the DEMU forum and I think I have a Parkside Pipe kit somewhere. It would be nice to vary the wagons used on the MOD traffic rather than using long and short wheelbase vans all the time.

Cheers

Heljan 26's are so good, I have 26 and 27's on my Glen Roy with SWD sound and the public just love them at shows.

This sounds like it will be an interesting project and I will keep an eye on it to see it develop.

All the best.

Andy :sungum:

Have you got the relevant volume of 'Freight Only' by Paul Shannon and Michael Rhodes? Plenty of inspirational stuff in there.

Yes - excellent books many an idea sourced form these - only to be binned six weeks later.... :)

Edited by Crisis Rail

Thanks for the replies and kind works folks.

Sounds great, Love the speedlink era.

Have you thought about whiskey flows.
Theirs was a great thread on here a few years ago about scotish frieght in the 80's.

Hi porkie,

Yes the Speedlink era took my fancy as well, mainly because it allows me to run short trains. (as I'm short on space at home)

I've had a little thought about the Whiskey traffic but the wagons and containers would need to built, so maybe one for the back burner. Yes I did manage to find the thread in question and there was one interesting formation that took my fancy which could be scaled down a little to suit my space.

Ah! Someone else who couldn't resist the Heljan 26. Looking forward to seeing the progress with this.The Speedlink era and a Scottish theme.......How bigs the layout going to be?

Hi pompeydave,

What can I say... It called to me. Haha!

Oh not too big as I don't have much space at home. The scenic section wont be and any bigger than 4' put it that way, so not a big layout.

Have you got the relevant volume of 'Freight Only' by Paul Shannon and Michael Rhodes? Plenty of inspirational stuff in there.

I haven't no, but I'm on the lookout for it. The only Freight Only volumes I have are around England.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

Good luck with this the Scottish MOD traffic was varied and had an upturn in 1991 because of 1st Gulf War

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, Scotland did indeed see increased MOD traffic in 1991 and this will feature to an extent on my layout. I'm also interested in other interesting working that took place and I have one in mind already. For the time being though I'm concentrating on the steelworks layout.

Cheers

PS: Thanks for the PM

Edited by Wayne 37901

Hi Wayne,

A nice sounding little project this one, I will be following your progress. I also bought myself a cheap class 26 but it wasn't my fist class 26 I have another one and a class 27 all for a future project.

The VEAs looks good, I just bought a few to do myself I also bought a spare chassis and pipe wagon kit to do an ODA.

Hi Mark, any chance you could put your article up on here somewhere.

Cheers Peter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

A nice sounding little project this one, I will be following your progress. I also bought myself a cheap class 26 but it wasn't my fist class 26 I have another one and a class 27 all for a future project.

The VEAs looks good, I just bought a few to do myself I also bought a spare chassis and pipe wagon kit to do an ODA.

Hi Mark, any chance you could put your article up on here somewhere.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm hoping it'll be an interesting project. Mine was my first 26 and I have to say I think it's a lovely little model, it certainly seems to capture the right look of these little beasts. The class 27 is a little early for my time scale but likewise a lovely model.

Yes the VEAs are nice kits and very easy to build along with most of the Parkside range. I also have a pipe kit lined up to become an ODA at some point.

The recent arrival of a loaned book (thanks Brian  :imsohappy:) has enabled me to get some nice ideas for the layout.

More soon 

Good afternoon,

As I've had the day off work and not being able to do anything on the other layout for the time being, I thought I would have a play with the new project. This has resulted in the first cardboard mock up to appear on the layout.

It's still in the very early stages but here's a quick taster pic of the current state of play.

A VGA van stand in the goods depot  having arrived with Soup traffic from Campbell's at Kings Lyn, whilst a class 26 stands alongside.

3xh2.jpg

The Peco track is only for the photo, I'll be using other track on this one.

More soon

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Just a quick update on things.

After playing around with pencil and paper, templates and various bits of stock on the layout I think I've come up with a track plan that will suit my small space and also make shunting interesting. This is the 5th plan I have drawn up after deciding that the others would either need more space or would have too much pointwork and I'm going for a less is more approach with this one.

Here's what I have arrived it...

px7z.jpg

I know it's simple, but as I said I'm going for less is more. The buildings will all be relief to save on space and are based on structures from various areas of Scotland. The half loop is a main feature allowing locos to run round before shunting.

It's not final yet but I think any further track or pointwork will be too much for my 40'' scenic board.

More soon.

• Like 2

Nice "Wee" plan you have, reminds me a little of Tingtong Yard that appeared in the Railway Modeller a few years back.

Looking forward to seeing the plan coming to life.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks, I'm hoping it's not too ''Wee''  :D

Hmm, I haven't seen Tingtong Yard to be honest.

Cheers

Pretty sure Ting Tong yard is now known as Ringburn Yard and appeared in Rail Express a few months back.

Ah yes, I raided my box of Rex mags in the loft and came across Ringburn Yard. A very nice layout and interesting to read how the name came about. I'm pleased that I've more or less settled on the plan I've posted because looking back at my scribbles they looked quite similar to Ringburn.

Hi Wayne,

Will look forward to seeing how your layout develops - have several 26's and 27's myself - all fitted with sound. Certainly a basis for an interesting layout!

Bill.

Hi Bill,

It will develop at a steady (sometimes slow) pace over the winter period. As I stated in my OP I had intended to build a Scottish based layout at some point but it was brought forward after snapping up a McRat at a nice price.

I'm interested to see what your plans are, have you anything on here?

Hi Wayne,

I like that track plan. I quite agree that keeping it simple will make it realistic and not look cramped in the space you have and gives the opportunity to view the nice stock you will have on the layout.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input. Making it look realistic and not cramped is my aim so I hope it turns out ok. This is one of the challenges when working in a small space.

I like what you have done with Saltisford Lane by the way, I had another read through over on the DEMU thread earlier.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901

Hi Wayne,

Can't take any credit for that as its a different Mark on DEMU behind that layout although I do follow his work on there too. I did have a small layout called Victory Road before I built Rannoch which is on long term loan.

Mark

Ooops  :blush:

Indeed it is, many apologies. I read your Rannoch thread with much interest.

Regarding this layout, I've discovered today that a rethink is needed over what points to use. I had intended to use two A4 turnouts, however on placing a couple of locos on these I realised that the bogie overhang was quite visible.

:scratchhead:

More soon