Tunnock Yard - BR freight in the 1980's.

Wayne 37901

I watched a layout at my local exhibition called Cusworths Yard, it was a run round loop with 2 sidings off of it and would almost have been a mirror image of your plan if you followed Fungus the Bogeymans ideas. It's a great layout, was fun to watch and looked great with large locos as well as a shunter operating it.

I can dig out a pic if you don't know the layout.

Good luck with the planning.

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

I don't know that layout you mention but that is pretty much where I'm going. Haymarket Yard was pretty much a loop and two spurs as can be made out in the photo. I'm looking at moving the Coal depot though off scene at the rear and suggesting it by parking a rake of hoppers on a back siding not connected to the rest of the layout.

This evening and tomorrow I'll be having a play around with stock and hopefully drawing it up full size.

Cheers

Wayne

A quick question before I decide what points to use,I was looking at using A6s as Bs looked a little long on a 4' scenic board. I won't be running anything bigger than a 37 on the layout and have been wondering if they will run ok through these points?

Hopefully start cutting timber tomorrow.

Cheers

Wayne

How's the layout coming on? Here's a few photos of the layout I mentioned, not sure if it's of use to you. I like the plan a lot and If I hadn't already started my layout would have prob used it.

Steve.

post-24-0-66328900-1497588689_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-48564100-1497588703.jpg

post-24-0-73271600-1497588826_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

That looks like a nice little layout, kind of like an inglenook sort of thing.

Tunnock Yard is progressing slowly, I'm currently working out the shape of the baseboard as it will most likely taper. I'm also not cutting anything until the plan and rough position of some buildings is decided, this also means I can make sure that the cross members don't get in the way of points.

As soon as I have something worth showing I'll get some progress photos up.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well with Summer slowly drawing to a close and with the debut show booked for January there has been some progress on Tunnock Yard.

Got some foundation work done today as well as getting the first pieces of track ready for laying. 

I'll post up a photo tomorrow when the light is better.

Cheers

Wayne

As promised a quick shot of some progress made this evening I know it's not much to show but it's progress none the less, by the way don't pay too much attention to the green class 25 as it will eventually be in 'banger blue' livery.

There will be more to show once I start on some buildings, I've already got a Portakabin done for the small engineers compound.

post-6773-0-14778900-1503949981.jpg

More soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress as I've started on the first of two points for the layout.

post-6773-0-71195900-1504652508.jpg

I started yesterday evening by setting the timbers in place.

These are B6's, I was going to use A turnouts but was concerned about overhang and buffer locking. These will form the scenic side of the run round loop with a spur leading off to a siding.

Back with more at the end of the week.

Wayne

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

How’s it going?

Well, the point building has caused a couple of issues so there's nothing new worth showing for the moment sorry but as soon as something is worth updating, I'll post it up.

Thanks for checking back in though, it's appreciated.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well this thread is long overdue an update so lets get that sorted.

I've been quite busy working on china clay and steel related stock for another layout project so Tunnock Yard was pushed down the list some what but now most of that has been finished apart from one or two things today I started work on a low relief bridge for the scenic break.

The bridge is based 'loosely' on a real one local to me although I'll most likely change it slightly to suit my location on the layout. The reason for the wide span is that there will be a third road with a left hand point diverging from it into another siding, although this has led to me being concerned that you'll be able to see a bit more into the fiddle yard so nothing will be fixed down yet until I see how it looks.

Here's a shot of progress so far, it's all held with masking tape at the moment. Ignore the marker pen on the baseboard, it was from a previous plan.

post-6773-0-33346100-1534084875.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning Wayne.

Looking forward to seeing this in January.

With regards to the bridge, try lowering it slightly. The width will be a problem...maybe using a building to block the view?

Rob

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the suggestion. Since the photo I have since adjusted the bridge and it now looks better, just as I thought I had built it slightly too long which resulted in the big gap.

I'll post up another photo soon but it's good to be getting on with this layout again.

Cheers

Wayne

• 3 months later...

How’s it coming along?

Getting there, although the points have had issues so I'm tempted to replace them with C&L kits.

I've mainly been working on stock and thinking what will be in the background. I haven't posted any photos as I'd rather just get on with things, I've also recently started a new job so I've been quite busy with that.

The layout is due to appear at a small local show in January as a work in progress exhibit but I'm hoping I'll be able to do a little shunting!

I will post some photos as soon as I can though, so please stay tuned in.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 4

Hey Wayne, nice wee layout coming along.

Have you based this one on a real location or imaginary?

Gonna look forward to it's completion, with McRats and tractors.

Jules

Hi Jules,

The layout itself is fictitious, with only the stock placing it in a certain era or region.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I took version two of Tunnock Yard to the small Cardiff Model railway show yesterday, too many problems with the first incarnation forced me to re-think things so I took it along as a work in progress piece. It was mainly a plain board with the track tempoarily taped in place. I also had a small display of detailed and modified kit built stock on show.

It can be seen in this you tube video at 2:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lqKbN6JeY

I was really hoping to have it running for the show, but starting a new job right before the end of the year didn't allow me much time to work on it as I was working shifts. However seeing the layouts running at the show has really spurred me on to get this done as other things need doing.

That being said I'll update this thread properly when there is more to see so I hope you'll stay tuned.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...