Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

I have a thought about the interior lighting. As the purpose, at least of the end section of the coach, is to observe and inspect the track, would the lights be turned on? Does this coach really need separate switchable lighting sections?

Possibly overkill, and the example posted here does look very nice!

Phil.

Guest spet0114

I've used the website form twice with no response to date.  If my latest attempt has no better luck I'll probably phone them up...

A happy ending - yesterday's post brought a mystery jiffy bag marked Barwell. Inside was the missing pipe and a compliment slip!

So - an excellent result and considerable kudos to Bachmann for looking after a customer in the fashion we've come to expect. My only (very minor) grumble is that I had to send three requests (over a period of three weeks) via their website for this to happen. My suspicion is that it was the pipe was sent in response to the first and that the subsequent two were not required, however the complete absence of any comms on the matter meant that there was no way for me to know this.

Still, that's the minutia, overall I'm a happy bunny. Well done Bachmann! :)

Cheers

Adrian 

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

A happy ending - yesterday's post brought a mystery jiffy bag marked Barwell. Inside was the missing pipe and a compliment slip!

So - an excellent result and considerable kudos to Bachmann for looking after a customer in the fashion we've come to expect. My only (very minor) grumble is that I had to send three requests (over a period of three weeks) via their website for this to happen. My suspicion is that it was the pipe was sent in response to the first and that the subsequent two were not required, however the complete absence of any comms on the matter meant that there was no way for me to know this.

Still, that's the minutia, overall I'm a happy bunny. Well done Bachmann! :)

Cheers

Adrian 

Excellent news!

I'm going to get an inspection saloon but i'd prefer to convert it to one I saw in 1985, unfortunately the only photo I took wasn't that great at showing it in detail but I was wondering if anyone else could help in identifying which one this is? It dates to the 18th of July 1985 and the location is Glasgow Queen Street. Was anyone in the area around this period who could help or anyone have any records of which saloon was being used in the highlands as an observation coach at this time?

post-25287-0-36583400-1422382978_thumb.jpg

zoomed in crop

post-25287-0-71992400-1422383452_thumb.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

I'm going to get an inspection saloon but i'd prefer to convert it to one I saw in 1985, unfortunately the only photo I took wasn't that great at showing it in detail but I was wondering if anyone else could help in identifying which one this is? It dates to the 18th of July 1985 and the location is Glasgow Queen Street. Was anyone in the area around this period who could help or anyone have any records of which saloon was being used in the highlands as an observation coach at this time?

attachicon.gif37403_glasgowqs_18-07-85.jpg

zoomed in crop

attachicon.gif37403_glasgowqs_18-07-85_crop.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

I'd guess it's this one, although I can't see the number recorded anywhere:

5212248424_196fa74abd_b.jpg1049 Inverness 24 juni 1985 by peter_schoeber, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

I'd guess it's this one, although I can't see the number recorded anywhere:

5212248424_196fa74abd_b.jpg1049 Inverness 24 juni 1985 by peter_schoeber, on Flickr

Thanks BR (S) That looks like the one, the only one I can find myself that lists a number is 45030 which i've seen photos of at Oban in 1984 and Glasgow in 1981 so i'm guessing thats the one I saw myself. I really wish I kept better records back then!

45030, 1984, Oban: https://flic.kr/p/c1FoRY

Glasgow, 1987: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=24053

It was in Gloucester by 1991!:

6996132638_36e536aa58_c.jpg45030 by R~P~M, on Flickr

Yep thats the Oban pic and i'd seen the Gloucester one before but the one in Glasgow in 1987 is new to me and convinces me that my photo in 1985 must be 45030

Thanks for that :)

Edited by 37081LochLong

People who have added lights,

I rather crudely added some to mine, but have found I had to remove the weight at the bottom to be able to get the interior back on without fouling the wires. I've also had a problem where the bogies are slightly stiffer and with the lighter load is prone to derailing.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution?

I rather crudely added some to mine, but have found I had to remove the weight at the bottom to be able to get the interior back on without fouling the wires. I've also had a problem where the bogies are slightly stiffer and with the lighter load is prone to derailing.

What thickness wires did you use? I found that I had to use the thinnest wire I had (which was admittedly not that thin - it was taken from an Express Models connector pair if I remember rightly) in order to get the body back on and that solved the problem. If you use sufficiently thin wire, you should be able to get the interior back on without removing the weight.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to fit interior lights and working oil lamps all controlled by DCC using a Lenz standard decoder + dcc antiflicker unit from Express models . I used fine decoder wire also supplied by Express models. There is a reasonable amount of space between the chassis and the interior floor moulding to run the wire. Antiflicker board located in the kitchen area and the decoder makes a nice table when covered with plastikard. Body fitted back OK apart from the door handles which popped off , but this appears to be a common issue

• RMweb Gold

Done a bit on my observation saloon this evening

Fitted the train tech lighting unit, painted bits of the interior and added people to one end

The train tech unit is very good, comes on by a motion sensor then shuts off after 4 mins of non movement

The down side to it is the battery holder is quite bulky and takes up a fair bit of space at one end of the coach (which is why ive only detailed one end internally)

I've used Bachmann 'businessmen' as the crew however as the coach has a low roof ive had to cut them down to get them to fit in the coach, in hindsight i would have been better doing as waverley west has done and used the smaller preiser figures

I painted the floor of the working area (brake compartment, toilet, corridor etc) white to represent a lino type covering, ive left the business ends bare but may well paint it at a later date

Externally i have added a cantrail stripe, and for fun some EWS dragon logos on the bodysides, still need to add modern OHLE flashes as i have run out of them and then i'll paint the various electrical conduits orange and axlebox covers etc, might even try and see if i can get a flashing tail light on it too

Some pics....

CFF36D5D-BE07-49B0-AB5E-56C0942AE1E2.jpg

809B8789-7B72-471A-811B-798CBD9C8732.jpg

CBA23DFD-6E48-46C7-A672-BEED2040D885.jpg

90367A56-F00B-4998-A2A2-A234F5FDC138.jpg

227482C6-6064-45C3-A310-B0B5D4678996.jpg

4DE3942A-44D8-4A72-B7B2-85EC67029A93.jpg

And with the lights off

5D389A8F-3941-4975-B23F-A40C9A3505DD.jpg

The only bit thats not really illuminated is the kitchen but thats not a problem as the guys on board have already has their brew!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The Manchester district had one of these (the number is on the thread somewhere), but does anybody know where in Manchester it was based? I ask because it might have a bearing on which loco(s) might be used to propel it.

Regards

It spent the vast majority of its time in the middle road in the bay platforms facing east at Manchester Victoria.

There are plenty of photos showing it residing there.

Kev.

A while ago their was a bit of a discussion on this forum about whether or not these ex LMS(?) Inspection Saloons were used as  Observation Saloons.

It seems the ex 101 DMUs which were used in the mid 80s between Inverness and Kyle had caused some of this confusion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/14398834138/in/photostream/

Confusion only added to no doubt by the photos of the ex LMS Inspection Saloons as part of a train formed of a loco, normal coaching and an Inspection Saloon.  I am reliably informed Inspection Saloons in such a formation was most likely a positioning move for Engineers use.

Inspection Saloon seen to the rear of the formation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terry47401/10082688514/in/photostream/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9880436243

Now then, to add to confusion it seems ex Inspection Saloons were used for public use as Observation Cars up here in Scotland, but they were ex LNER and may have been used on the West Highland (Glasgow QS to Fort William) rather than the Far North (Inverness to Kyle)

In British Rail at Work - ScotRail by Colin Boocock there are several black and white pictures, one is of Sc1999 being named Lochaber at Fort William on 8 May 1980

A colour photo from BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97 shows us it was blue grey with 3 front windows.

7362940838_9b1184438d_z.jpg

Else where in the book there is a close up of a smiley chap reportedly applying the "finishing touches" to Sc1998 at Cowlairs on 27 March 1983 which was the "second saloon coach for the West Highland line"

later still in the book a full view (black and white) of Sc1998 named Loch Eil on the front.  The comment says "Sc1998 was once a LNER inspection saloon.  Restored to the colours of that railway at Cowlairs, the coach was internally refurbished for the 1983 season"

It is hard to work out the colour from the photo, it appears quite dark and I would have gone for maroon were it not for the caption about being restored to the colours of that railway.  Not sure maroon was an LNER colour.  Another point is that it had 4 windows at the end shown from the solebar to the roof, two top, two bottom.

I assume this would be the same one, again from BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97.

8562227569_a4d796ff24_z.jpg

Just in case I have not caused enough confusion, looking at 37081Lochlong,s post above re an Inspection Saloon at Glasgow QS in 1985, the Inspection Saloon in that photos appears to be an ex LMS one, 45030 and not one of the ex LNER ones Sc1998 or 1999.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76502-inspection-saloon/page-21&do=findComment&comment=1759118

Presumably it was on a positioning move for the Engineers, unless between 1983 and 1985 it replaced Sc1998 and 1999 for public use?

Answers of a Post Card...............

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

One of the ex LMS inspection saloons (in maroon) was in use on the Oban line as an observation coach during the summer of 1985. As I remember, this was in connection with the centenary of the C&O.

Edit: Just read back a few posts and it would appear to be 45030 as mentioned above.

Edited by Bon Accord

Thanks for the extra information Waverley47709

I've been wondering about that LNER one for a while so it's good to get a little more info :)

I have noticed in the past that if i mentioned LMS observation saloons on the Oban line people would always tell me i was mistaken and it was a 101 unit even when I told them that worked the Kyle line and that i was actually aware of that one.

I remember one of the times when I saw the LMS inspection Saloon (45030) we were offered the chance to ride in it for a suppliment but for some reason we didn't do it, so i wonder if it was used as a mix of inspection/observation saloon? Say work a passenger service to get to it's destination and take advantage of the situation by charging a suppliment to travel in it, then later use it as an inspection saloon when required. Seems a good idea to use it to earn extra revenue :)

It spent the vast majority of its time in the middle road in the bay platforms facing east at Manchester Victoria.

There are plenty of photos showing it residing there.

Kev.

Thank you for that. A loco would probably be one of Newton Heath's then.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

A while ago their was a bit of a discussion on this forum about whether or not these ex LMS(?) Inspection Saloons were used as  Observation Saloons.

It seems the ex 101 DMUs which were used in the mid 80s between Inverness and Kyle had caused some of this confusion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/14398834138/in/photostream/

Confusion only added to no doubt by the photos of the ex LMS Inspection Saloons as part of a train formed of a loco, normal coaching and an Inspection Saloon.  I am reliably informed Inspection Saloons in such a formation was most likely a positioning move for Engineers use.

Inspection Saloon seen to the rear of the formation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terry47401/10082688514/in/photostream/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9880436243

Now then, to add to confusion it seems ex Inspection Saloons were used for public use as Observation Cars up here in Scotland, but they were ex LNER and may have been used on the West Highland (Glasgow QS to Fort William) rather than the Far North (Inverness to Kyle)

In British Rail at Work - ScotRail by Colin Boocock there are several black and white pictures, one is of Sc1999 being named Lochaber at Fort William on 8 May 1980

A colour photo from BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97 shows us it was blue grey with 3 front windows.

7362940838_9b1184438d_z.jpg

Else where in the book there is a close up of a smiley chap reportedly applying the "finishing touches" to Sc1998 at Cowlairs on 27 March 1983 which was the "second saloon coach for the West Highland line"

later still in the book a full view (black and white) of Sc1998 named Loch Eil on the front.  The comment says "Sc1998 was once a LNER inspection saloon.  Restored to the colours of that railway at Cowlairs, the coach was internally refurbished for the 1983 season"

It is hard to work out the colour from the photo, it appears quite dark and I would have gone for maroon were it not for the caption about being restored to the colours of that railway.  Not sure maroon was an LNER colour.  Another point is that it had 4 windows at the end shown from the solebar to the roof, two top, two bottom.

I assume this would be the same one, again from BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97.

8562227569_a4d796ff24_z.jpg

Just in case I have not caused enough confusion, looking at 37081Lochlong,s post above re an Inspection Saloon at Glasgow QS in 1985, the Inspection Saloon in that photos appears to be an ex LMS one, 45030 and not one of the ex LNER ones Sc1998 or 1999.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76502-inspection-saloon/page-21&do=findComment&comment=1759118

Presumably it was on a positioning move for the Engineers, unless between 1983 and 1985 it replaced Sc1998 and 1999 for public use?

Answers of a Post Card...............

The third picture behind D5329 is a Track Recording Coach, not an inspection saloon.

Mike.

Thanks for the extra information Waverley47709

I've been wondering about that LNER one for a while so it's good to get a little more info :)

I have noticed in the past that if i mentioned LMS observation saloons on the Oban line people would always tell me i was mistaken and it was a 101 unit even when I told them that worked the Kyle line and that i was actually aware of that one.

I remember one of the times when I saw the LMS inspection Saloon (45030) we were offered the chance to ride in it for a suppliment but for some reason we didn't do it, so i wonder if it was used as a mix of inspection/observation saloon? Say work a passenger service to get to it's destination and take advantage of the situation by charging a suppliment to travel in it, then later use it as an inspection saloon when required. Seems a good idea to use it to earn extra revenue :)

Sorry, the above is the limit of my knowledge on the subject.  I am sure there will be someone out there who will know more. 

I would be surprised if a particular saloon had a dual use and suspect your one was given over to that role for public use for a period of time, possibly as suggested by Bon Accord as part of a centenary celebration.  But that is pure speculation on my behalf.