Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

Take a look on here, cant tell if its a 24 or a 25 though, should be publicallu viewable if youre not on facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/trawsblaenaurailway/

Good website. Direct link to the picture here:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13887026_170527170025004_4420474143078833175_n.jpg?oh=cd90dfba739aac5a1bda461ef6ad979d&oe=58403D1B

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 2

Loco is 25042, a regular on the saloon as it had a working boiler. Saloon is DM45029 from Crewe.

Photo by Larry Goddard.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a good picture of the front of the EWS inspection coach being propelled. Can't find one on the Internet and want to make sure I put all pipes and lamps in the correct position

If you go on Flickr , there's a picture of 999504 at Crewe which appears about to be propelled by 47635 , thus showing temporary white headlight etc.

Whilst I think of it, was 999504 the same design ? Certainly looks like it, and doesn't have the heater vents alluded to which might make it a renumber job

Different design I'm afraid - similar but not quite the same.

It's interesting the differences.

I guess Bachmann just sprayed the original version in EWs colours - I've noticed the front windows look closer to the 999 ones as the middle window on the real 45029 was bigger.

I was gonna have a bash at making one into a 999504 but there are rain strips over the doors on 45029.

So I have to ask myself can I deal with the inaccuricies on a £50 coach ?

It's interesting the differences.

I guess Bachmann just sprayed the original version in EWs colours - I've noticed the front windows look closer to the 999 ones as the middle window on the real 45029 was bigger.

I was gonna have a bash at making one into a 999504 but there are rain strips over the doors on 45029.

So I have to ask myself can I deal with the inaccuricies on a £50 coach ?

Hi Rob,

When 45029 had its EWS makeover, the droplights on the ends were removed and the whole area was just glazed making the window 'larger' than the outer ones. The rainstrips that you describe over the doors of 45029 were in fact ventilators - neither the original version of 45029 nor the BR built 999xxx series had rainstrips, only the cover strips over the seams of the roof covering going from side to side. It was the two BR Kitchen Car conversions that had rainstrips on the roof over the doors.

The main differences between the original built 45xxx series and the BR build 999xxx series were that the centre window at the end was the same size as the outers and the door window arrangement of the left hand side of the small saloon - (when standing in the saloon facing the end windows) was a mirror image of the righthand side - i.e. window/window/door - thus making the sides mirror images of each other - certainly as far as the saloon ends and the intermediate doors were concerned.

cheers

Mike

I decided to buy one of these in the end in Maroon. What hauled these does anyone know? Can only find reference to blue/grey ones but im thinking it'd look good on the end of a rake of maroon mk1s anyway.

Class 25 and saloon near Leawood Tunnel, Cromford.

(Leawood Pump in the background).

25-saloon.jpg

• Like 6

I decided to buy one of these in the end in Maroon. What hauled these does anyone know? Can only find reference to blue/grey ones but im thinking it'd look good on the end of a rake of maroon mk1s anyway.

In steam days they were generally hauled or pushed by Class 2 tender engines. Fowlers and Ivatts were the favourite on the LMR.

Regards

Not been on this thread for some months so whose kit is the Western Region Inspection Saloon Brian 'Mozzer'...?

That link to blaenaurailway is interesting, as it uses Merfyn Jones, Philip Hindley and my pictures extensively. If I've heard of it I don't remember.

Edited by coachmann

Has anyone got a good picture of the front of the EWS inspection coach being propelled. Can't find one on the Internet and want to make sure I put all pipes and lamps in the correct position

One thing I've always wondered is do the Inspection Coaches have some kind of equipment that allows them to control or communicate with the loco they are being propelled by? Does anyone know?

Class 25 and saloon near Leawood Tunnel, Cromford.

(Leawood Pump in the background).

In steam days they were generally hauled or pushed by Class 2 tender engines. Fowlers and Ivatts were the favourite on the LMR.

Regards

Thanks for the info chaps; appreciated!

One thing I've always wondered is do the Inspection Coaches have some kind of equipment that allows them to control or communicate with the loco they are being propelled by? Does anyone know?

Further back in the thread it's been said that there was no controls but there was radio/phone contact with the driver

A brake valve an a horn were the minimum on most. Headlight in recent years.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I kept my BG one,

I've seen photos of 31/37/47 pulling these so valid for my plank. Haven't seen a 50 on one in the earlier 80s I guess that traction was in demand for other uses.

Just got to find the detail pack and get that on now

Network Rail's ex-Hastings DEMU inspection car 975025 'Caroline' has full blue star multiple working, so the propelling loco can be controlled from the carriage.

• 2 months later...

Hi,Would anyone know the number of the Engineers Saloon that was stabled in its own shed at Gresty Road, Engineering Yard, Crewe. in the 1980s. I want to track down if its still around and if so where it is now.? Many thanks.

DM45029 was based at Crewe.  Sometimes also stabled next to the Shrewsbury bay (platform 8 ?)

45029 is now owned by TfL, as part of LU's Heritage Fleet. According to the current Heritage Railway magazine 45029 is expected to be used for the Class 20 railtour to Quainton Road and Steam On The Met this year.

Perhaps the next LTM limited edition model?

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the info on 45029. Will now try to get and see it again as I was one of the Steward/Attendants

on her from 1979 to 1988 and travelled all over the UK on her. Just wish I had taken far more photos than I did at the time as then tbh never thought to take many.

Edited by Buggane
  • Like 1