Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

On 19/07/2016 at 08:26, Ressaldar said:

Hi Coachman,

I have an O Gauge Q13 in the pile to do but before that, I must finish what has become a 'shelf queen' - the H33 Restaurant Coach conversion to the S&T Inspection Saloon KDW150266. I am using the JLTRT kit for the Restaurant Coach and this is the story so far. The lower two elevations show the sides marked up prior to the 'cut and shuffle' exercise for the new door installations together with the location of the additional window. The windows in the ends were built up having formed one large aperture.

post-6951-0-10547800-1468912525.jpg

post-6951-0-57957000-1468912525.jpg

post-6951-0-01907000-1468912526.jpg

post-6951-0-57632600-1468912526.jpg

post-6951-0-03383500-1468912527.jpg

The coach is preserved on the East Lancs Railway, unfortunately, not in the period that I am modelling, but a prototype reference all the same.

Hopefully I will be dusting the box off in the very near future.

regards

Mike

Just for completeness, I did finish the S & T Inspection saloon

IMG_0454.jpg.e791d28e349c8a572cd64a40b441682a.jpg

20200108_150024.jpg.a578c30ef34686164b4d67d920098109.jpg

and also the Q13

P1000899.JPG.3aeab6ce7c95dcb77e5ecbcaa9b87f20.JPG

P1000901.JPG.185d22a57d7f8bfe618ac4e83ae7f795.JPG

the S & T saloon is available if of any interest - now sold.

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 10 months later...

What (if any) is the best 'ready to fit' lighting strip to illuminate an inspection saloon, using the existing pickups? I don't particularly want a battery powered system as my saloon often* travels** with me*, and 'off with stillness' won't work for my needs.

* Back when travelling was a possible thing

**whole train in one coach, great for hotel rooms.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What (if any) is the best 'ready to fit' lighting strip to illuminate an inspection saloon, using the existing pickups? I don't particularly want a battery powered system as my saloon often* travels** with me*, and 'off with stillness' won't work for my needs.

* Back when travelling was a possible thing

**whole train in one coach, great for hotel rooms.

Somewhere back in my workbench thread, there’s an explanation of how I built a lighting setup for mine.

Seem to recall it wasn’t too difficult. Works on DC & DCC too.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope Bachmann do another run of these as they are difficult to obtain. Even if they sell them high e.g. £70-80 it's a full train for that basically and is a good quality model from the looks of it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The 158 Man said:

Hi folks, does anyone know if any of these saloons in Blue & Grey lasted into the early 1990s please? 

I have one and I don't really want to get rid of it!

I seem to recall one being put into passenger service as an observation car in the noughties. IIRC it was in blue/grey livery. There's always a liberal application of rule 1 to fall back on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, E100 said:

I hope Bachmann do another run of these as they are difficult to obtain. Even if they sell them high e.g. £70-80 it's a full train for that basically and is a good quality model from the looks of it.

He says and then gets the BR maroon one on ebay for £50 the next day. Still want to try and get 39-777 in BR blue / grey at some point to cover off both eras.

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I seem to recall one being put into passenger service as an observation car in the noughties. IIRC it was in blue/grey livery. There's always a liberal application of rule 1 to fall back on.

There was a lot of chat and debate about whether or not one was used for passenger use. 

Despite views to the contrary and confusion caused by a converted 101, in the end am pretty certain we found evidence that one had been used on the Kyle line from Inverness.  Blue grey as per Bachmann model.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

I've definitely seen pictures of it in use with passengers aboard on Kyle Line trains in the mid 1980s, though I'm damned if I can find the pictures now!

Closest I came was finding video footage in the Alan Harrison collection of it departing and returning to Inverness.  See a post on page 25 for details.  

In that video the LMS saloon had been remarshalled to the rear on the return journey. Ex 101 were not remarshalled presumably as there was no point without being able to turn it.  The ex 101 having one forward facing view unlike the LMS saloon with two.  Not sure tourists would have appreciated a close up and personal view of a 37 on the return as much as some of us.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC it was used for a summer 'season' and passengers had to book as meals were provided. I'm sure there was a photo in Railway Magazine but I'm not sure of which issue.

The Alan Harrison video is dated 1986. Assuming it was all videoed at the same time June 1986.

Departs 11 mins, returns 31 mins.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A shout out for help please. I have managed to get hold of replacement bogies from the Bachmann Spares site for my inspection saloon as the original ones bent outwards.

The only problem is I’ve lost 2 of the wheels from my original bogies. They are different size (point to point of axel) to other readily available Bachmann coach wheels. Does anyone know a source or at least product number please?

Many Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, SHerr said:

A shout out for help please. I have managed to get hold of replacement bogies from the Bachmann Spares site for my inspection saloon as the original ones bent outwards.

The only problem is I’ve lost 2 of the wheels from my original bogies. They are different size (point to point of axel) to other readily available Bachmann coach wheels. Does anyone know a source or at least product number please?

Many Thanks

phone up Bachmann spares and have a chat with them. I did when I needed a pantograph for my class 90. They are not listed but removed it from a returned item. If they have a returned saloon they may be able to send you the wheels 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2021 at 16:12, Waverley47708 said:

There was a lot of chat and debate about whether or not one was used for passenger use. 

Despite views to the contrary and confusion caused by a converted 101, in the end am pretty certain we found evidence that one had been used on the Kyle line from Inverness.  Blue grey as per Bachmann model.

Resurrecting this discussion, just noticed what appears to be the yellow end of a b/g saloon in a photo of a Mallaig to Fort William service in June 1984 on p85 of the Class 37 Loco Group's 'Syphon Salute' book. I have tracked down the photo here:

https://railphotoprints.uk/p789775444/h96E6DC80#h1b1ee6cd

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I picked up an EWS saloon for what is these days a pretty fair price i say, £50 odd pounds for mint. I know little about the saloon other than it looks a nice model and something different (and I have no intention paying £150 or whatever for Caroline).

Can anyone tell me how often these were propelled, i know they had limited capability? I see that Caroline has full blue star control so spends as much time being pushed as pulled but with the EWS saloon was it not as much the case, if propelled at all bar the odd shunt etc?

PS Curious to see the bogies made with pickups but it ends there, no internal lighting and so on factory fitted.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

... (and I have no intention paying £150 or whatever for Caroline)...

Hi all,

Just to clarify re Caroline:  Pre-orders are now closed, and RRP from retailers is £159.99.  The models feature accurate, painted interiors and switchable directional headlights (or illuminated headcode box), tail lights, marker lights, top spotlights, interior lights and solebar steplights.  They are also supplied with a 21-pin DCC decoder.

The models are expected before the end of the year.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, sanspareil said:

I picked up an EWS saloon for what is these days a pretty fair price i say, £50 odd pounds for mint. I know little about the saloon other than it looks a nice model and something different (and I have no intention paying £150 or whatever for Caroline).

Can anyone tell me how often these were propelled, i know they had limited capability? I see that Caroline has full blue star control so spends as much time being pushed as pulled but with the EWS saloon was it not as much the case, if propelled at all bar the odd shunt etc?

PS Curious to see the bogies made with pickups but it ends there, no internal lighting and so on factory fitted.

If you want to ask a question about how a inspection saloon is used, ask it on the prototype questions thread, not here and belly aching about the price.  You comment about how much you picked it for and then complain that no internal lighting etc!  Having seen the preproduction models of 'Caroline' and it's absolutely superb details and features, your comment is pointless as the Bachmann model has been around for about 10 years, basic and reflected in it's price.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I’m sure Caroline will eclipse it , but the Bachmann one ain’t bad and I have a blue grey one.

RE the EWS one, they didn’t last too long. The prototype one was only repainted in mainline blue in early 96 before fairly rapidly going to EWS. They did t seem to do much ( not many photos ) before in about 2003 EWS introduced it’s managers train and that was the end of them in EWS service 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1