The Rhubarb Triangle Line

Rob Pulham

Frustratingly the J63 ran flawlessly after giving quite a poor showing at Telford - and I all I did was chuck the track down to play... I haven't done anything more with it than contemplate adding more pickups.

Rob,

Could it be that you have run it only on a straight piece of track and maybe on points or curves some of the pickups are losing connection with the wheels? Just a thought.

Alan.

Rob,

Could it be that you have run it only on a straight piece of track and maybe on points or curves some of the pickups are losing connection with the wheels? Just a thought.

Alan.

Hi Alan,  I am sure that you are right,  it was going over the points where it kept stopping. I do intend to do something with it but sods law dictates that you chuck something together and it works fine (while poking it's tongue out at you!) and when you spend ages "making it as good as you can" it doesn't :nono:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The first cut of the grass this year prompted discussions on plans for completion of the track laying at the Rhubarb Triangle HQ.

I received another box of track for Christmas from my son - he was quite disgusted that I only wanted trackrolleyes.png.  That left me needing a further box plus half a dozen turn outs.

Since last year, modelling funds have been used on various bits and pieces needed to complete projects etc.  so I was thinking, as you do, of moving it forward in stages as my funds would allow.

To my surprise and delight Chris wasn't hearing any of doing it in stages - "get the bits you need to finish it and I will sort the funds" were her words.

Orders have been placed before there is any chance of a change of mindsmile.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
We got back early from our weekend in Kidderminster and while I was away I had read that Simon had finished wiring the circuit on his line. So I decided to cut the grass and since the sun was shining to make a start on the track for the line. First I laid it all out to see whether I had enough, sadly not but I am only about 6 or 7 lengths short and they are for the sidings so I can crack on with the main circuits. 

IMG_0290_zpswtja40rj.jpg

IMG_0289_zpsdvhjlqk9.jpg

Once it was all laid out I made  a start on soldering the dropper strips to the bottoms of the rails - after figuring it all out I managed to get about half of the outer circuit done so I am quite pleased with progress. Now the light nights are here I should be able make steady headway before working indoors after tea.

Fascinating thread, and making me think about expanding my small garden line.

How is the all-weather MDF standing-up to the rigours of life?

I've never heard of it before, and it looks attractive from an ease-of-use viewpoint ........ But, I've always had a mortal fear of using MDF in even slightly-damp environments, let alone outdoors.

Kevin

Fascinating thread, and making me think about expanding my small garden line.

How is the all-weather MDF standing-up to the rigours of life?

I've never heard of it before, and it looks attractive from an ease-of-use viewpoint ........ But, I've always had a mortal fear of using MDF in even slightly-damp environments, let alone outdoors.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It's been down for the best part of 2 years now without any signs of deterioration or swelling of the sheets. Like all MDF type materials you really need to wear a mask whilst cutting it but other than that it's like any other sheet material. The only other thing of note is that you  are recommended to only use non-ferrous fixings with it. 

I screwed the boards down with stainless screws and I plan to pin the track down with brass pins (I bought a kilo a few years ago so have them on stock).

• 2 weeks later...
A milestone was reached this evening. I have now soldered the droppers on all of the sections of track.

Next I need to figure out how to wire the turnouts for DCC - in 4mm it was easy I just inserted a staple like thing that Hornby produced.

I have never wired a turn out before so that should be a learning curve.

• 4 months later...
The Rhubarb Triangle line has taken a massive leap forward this week with both track circuits laid. They just need wiring up now. 

I need more track for the sidings which is on order. 

having completed the beginings we couldn't resist playing a little.

loving the really slow running in the first vid 

Cheers,  that's the sort of running that I am looking for especially since I don't want to risk anything falling off.... - Sadly I should have run the J63 light engine for a bit to get it running smoothly again before loading it with wagons, it's been in a box for 12 months or more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived