Midland Railway locomotives - books

MikeO

My main interest is Midland Railway locomotives so I am interested in the various volumes about the subject written by Bob Essery and Stephen Summerson.  I will likely end up buying both sets of volumes but for now (since I have not seen either yet) I would appreciate feed back from members about the relative merits of the two series.  Since it will of necessity be a gradual process of purchase, which do you think is the better author to go with initially -  Essery or Summerson - or are there other books I am not aware of yet?

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I have both sets of books and both are very detailed and contain information that is not found in the other set. Both sets compliment each other. LMS Locomotives Vol 4 Pre group Midland by Essery and Jenkinson is another book I have found helpful.

There is also the class specific series of books by the Wild Swann and the NRM on Midland and LMS locomotives.

You can never have enough Midland locomotive books.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can recommend the class specific books as I have been building the MR and LMS sets up for my self,I can't recommend the others as I don't own any but just reading this thread and looking them up on the net my book wish list has just got bigger.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I too would recommend both, but would start with the books which cover the classes you need to know about to cut the initial cost.

As Bob Essery was a former Saltley fireman, with first hand knowledge - why???

The books cover a much wider range of locomotive classes than Bob Essery would have had personal experience of.  For example the original Johnson classes.

The two sets of books are, as Clive wrote earlier, complementary. I frequently refer to both sets when looking for information about specific locos.  They also contain different photos.

David

• Like 1

Which particular book has the most information about the Midland Single (Spinner) locomotives. I want as many photos as possible in order to build both a OO gauge white metal kit and a OO gauge etched brass kit. Edited by brian777999

Hi,

You ask about the Midland Railway singles;  The Wild Swan book 'Midland Locomotives' Vol 2 (ISBN0 906867 59 2) by Essery & Jenkinson, has a whole chapter (P146 - 179) on them, with lots of photos and some drawings as well.

There are others as well (the Irwell press (I think) series) but I do not know those as I do not have them.

For general and detailed information the whole set of the Wild Swan books (4 vols -  V1 general V2 passenger V3 goods, V4 Tank Engines ) are good, and a more general ones on MR Locos is by Jack Braithwaite - titled S W Johnson Midland Railway Locomotive Engineer Artist  (Wyvern Publications) ISBN 0 907941.17.6 I find it good - it covers all S W Johnson's locos with photos though no drawings.

Yours Peter.

Edited by PeterR
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello Brian

Look at the Wild Swan Midland Record No.25.It has General Arrangements of the 7ft.6in. and 7ft 9in versions,loads of superb photos and a history of building and alterations of the classes.

You could try the Wild Swan Midland railways books which have good Modellers drawings and pictures and the Somerson books which have details of features and where shedded.

Wish you luck with getting a single wheeler to work. Mind they where called "spinners"!

Tony

My main interest is Midland Railway locomotives so I am interested in the various volumes about the subject written by Bob Essery and Stephen Summerson.  I will likely end up buying both sets of volumes but for now (since I have not seen either yet) I would appreciate feed back from members about the relative merits of the two series.  Since it will of necessity be a gradual process of purchase, which do you think is the better author to go with initially -  Essery or Summerson - or are there other books I am not aware of yet?

cheers

Mike

Hello Mike

Somerson for details and build history

Essery and Jenkinson for the Drawings and variations and class variations. I as a modeller prefer the latter.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I use both sets as mentioned above.  In particular Sunmmerson has lots of tables which are very useful for selecting a number for a locomotive that has various characteristics built into it eg cab style.  The photos in Summerson are usually different to the Jenkinson Essery ones so I would definitely recommend both.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Mike, I can thoroughly recommend the series of magazine-style books 'Midland Record' for all things Midland. Sadly out of print I think but available through Titfield Thunderbolt or eBay from time to time. I was lucky enough to find the whole set recently so am selling my duplicates if anyone is interested, from the Preview issue through to about number 21 I think.

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Summerson books are very good if you are after detailed information on the history of individual engines - I'd say essential for anyone modelling ex-Midland engines in LMS and BR days. I've found the layout and typeface make them hard going though. The Essery and Jenkinson books benefit hugely from Wild Swan's high standards of layout and photo reproduction. If you just want to sit back and wallow in the splendour of a Johnson engine in original livery, these are the books to have. Like many of Essery and Jenkinson's books, they are exactly as advertised, an "Illustrated Review". They give tables of basic dimensions and numbering history and an overview of later condition but are essentially picture books - and none the worse for it. The short-lived "Midland Engines" series, along with related articles in "Midland Record" are the most comprehensive accounts of the classes they cover. Like the companion "LMS Locomotive Profiles" series, it was a great pity that a combination of factors led to the publication of further volumes ceasing before the series had really run their course. There was, I believe, a large amount of research done on other classes that seems now unlikely to see the light of day.

EDIT: Membership of the Midland Railway Society is of course also recommended.

Edited by Compound2632