Glazing for loco windows

Debs.

I`m getting perilously-close to needing to glaze and install the windows (fixed and sliding) in my Judith Edge 67-ton. Hunslet (7mm.).

Being of 'a certain age', when I started modelling; we used jam-pot covers (acetate) for window glass and signal-arm shades etc. and later, just thin perspex or mylar (or similar) sheeting; none of it ever looked 'right'......but time marches on and I`ve not really kept up w`latest developments for modern window representations.

Is there a product that stays crisply-clear and reflects-well (like real glass)?

Recommendations welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you, Deb.

Microscope cover slides - real glass. The trouble is glass in models rarely looks like real glass as on the prototype it needs a certain level of dirt. It certainly shouldn't shine and sparkle in the light. Then there is another problem - the lighting - virtually all layouts are lt with unnatural light, spots or fluorescent, so having glazing reflect those lights is often completely wrong. A bit like red-eye in photographs.

Good question Debs, as far as I'm aware there's nothing new that modellers are using so I'll be interested to see what else is suggested. One development, which has come from aircraft modellers, is to give any 'plastic' type glazing a thin coat of Johnson's Klear which much improves the look.

Like Arthur, I think this is a good question as well, especially as I've got a loco that's just about to go in to the paint shop and after that, I'll need to glaze the windows, so I'll be most interested to hear what the experts suggest.

Phil (watching with interest)

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'm no expert that's for sure, but I've just glazed a cab in a diesel loco I've built using some clear plastic cut from those clear plastic boxes products often come in these days. I'm not sure where it came from, (it may have been some Velleman electronics form Maplin) or indeed what it's actually made from (whether it's acrylic/acetate etc, just it's not the hard plastic like that of CD cases), but it does seem more scratch resistant than other forms of glazing I've used. Some does have a slightly blue-ish cast to it, but that which I used is totally clear. I simply stuck it in place with double-sided tape to stop any chance of any glue used creeping into the window section, although this was in 2mm and may not be sufficient for larger scales. 

Izzy

Debs, have a look here: http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4621

From image 12, he deals with how to fit windows into a metal kit, albeit whitemetal. I'm pretty sure the build of the 47 on the same site shows how to with a resin front, that one by Simon Varnam.

That site also sells the self-adhesive copper-backed tape to go round the window edge, in order to solder it in place, the microscope glass slides, and a VERY good water-based flux.

The builder on that model is Dikitriki, you probably have seen his work elsewhere...it's very good.

I THINK CPL also sell slides for glazing.

• 5 years later...
On 09/04/2019 at 11:07, ianofsklr said:

Does anyone make round cab windows, like the ones on a Beattie Well Tank or a Terrier model?

Or, can someone suggest a way to make my own? I was thinking of a thin washer and some clear plastic. 

Lens.PNG

PVA glue, a small drop of washing up liquid and dilute with water to a cream consistency. Using a scrap length of wire, 30thou or .5mm, pick up a drop of the mixture on the end and touch it to one  side of the spectical plate. slowly draw the mixture across the space to the other side. If you have got the dilution correct the mixture should fill the whole of the space and remain suspended until it dries clear. If not, modify your dilution and try again. This only works for small cab windows.

Regards

Sandy

• Like 1

I use Deluxe Glue n Glaze too. I use a mix of Slaters clear sheets for locos and rolling stock or cover plastics to be found on many products you purchase which are perfect in buildings etc where you may want an aged look. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Micro Kristal Klear - which is a white thick liquid works well where the window is fairly small - circular cab spectacles for example. It doesn't look good when first applied but dries to a clear finish. 

For anything larger I use that clear plastic that seems to cover everything now days - the type that usually stops you opening the package without a real struggle! It can be cut with sharp scissors and filed to shape. 

Kind regards Richard B

• Like 1