• RMweb Gold

I've decided to have a go at this.

The village forge looks a nice little building but I'm not going to build the house to help make it a quick build. It will be of stone construction with a slate roof and set in it's own small yard surrounded by a dry stone wall.

The brace on the door will be the correct way round...

Anyway I've made good progress so far, the basic structure is mounting board covered with Slaters stone. Since this photo the chimney has been built, the lintels fitted and the windows made a bit taller and more in proportion.

post-7104-0-67100300-1380058128_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

The roof will be slates.

Right, I've since put my brain into gear and realised the roof will be pantiles and not slates, I'm aiming to build it in a style local to me, so it is to be sandstone and pantiles. 

Here's the first section of roof test fitted, Wills tiles aren't the best representation of pantiles but they are better than anything I could produce any other way. The walls are painted and will need a bit of weathering with some greeny grey colouring.

post-7104-0-61156100-1380366962_thumb.jpg

The roof is now on, it just needs a bit of filler here and there, especially for the mortar under the ridge stones.

attachicon.gifIMGP7971-001.JPG

Don't forget that there would not be just mortar in the ridge line. Broken pantiles were used not just to reduce the amount of mortar used, but to direct the water flow down the bed of the tile.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Iain, I'm not sure about the ridge, I've tried to use the Wills one rounded off a bit but I may replace it with something made from plastic strip and shaped a bit better, ridge stones tend to be quite rough in texture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Made lots of progress on this today and it's really taking shape now. The doors are made and some fitted, the stonework and roof has been weathered with powders. I've started to paint the interior kit (Langley) for the forge, it will need a lot of bits - tools and materials - making to complete it though.

post-7104-0-88453100-1381506613_thumb.jpg

Really pleased with the way this end is looking.

post-7104-0-67036200-1381506624_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, it's been a month since I did anything on this but in the last couple of nights I seem to have got quite a bit done, the ground has been made up, walls completed, the yard surface laid and grass planted! Last job tonight was to carve two 'stone' gate posts and make a gate.

post-7104-0-14920300-1385510297_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-93621200-1385510308_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Started to sort the details out, the gates are fitted as well as a water trough. Everything else is only placed somewhere like right, the hoss needs a bit more work, as it came it had a full harness on, this has been filed off then painted to see if it needed any more, it needs a bit of filler then a repaint and it should be ok.

post-7104-0-25146800-1385681262_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-01937000-1385681274_thumb.jpg

Archived