pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

how did they end up with a duff sized one surely they were all the same size and if for some reason a bit got cut off they would have used another one.

David , it's 'Duff' as in the nickname Duff given to class 47's which had the larger logos ;) they'd obviously only got a transfer for a 47 in or applied it by mistake and made it fit.

• RMweb Gold

It's variously attributed to being a duff alternative to steam, initial reliability problems or the noise they make. One of those things you can take your choice as the first reference isn't possible to verify amongst all the claims of origin ;)

Dear all

I am enjoying reading this thread and look forward to seeing the layout develop but please excuse my ignorance but were not the double arrows added as stickers and hence how did they end up with a duff sized one surely they were all the same size and if for some reason a bit got cut off they would have used another one. Or have they painted it on and got the proportions wrong.

regards

David

The arrows were self adhesive backed vinyl, Class 37 and 47 had different sized L/L arrows to fit the bodyside dimensions.  It's possible that a 37 sized one was not available to finish off 025 after repaint, and also in time to meet naming arrangements etc  - a 47 sized one being perhaps badly "manipulated" to fit 

HTH

Evening, 

Managed to get a bit done tonight, track is now laid properly (apart from the kick back loading siding) The first part of the platform is in, although I still need to do the surface. Not sure on what I'm going to do with that. I quite like the look of having the pink gravel in the middle but may just tarmac it! Need to look at some more photos I think. 

If you look closely you may be able to see that to the left of siding 1 there are some platform edges, this is going to be an unloading dock. This will be used for parcels and any other supplies that arrive.

Still not sure on the scenery side of things, I would like some greenery but I guess a station of this size would be more suited to a medium town. 

Decisions decisions....

A general shot of the station

post-6849-0-99923500-1386199276.jpg

A shot from the FY

post-6849-0-61030000-1386199292.jpg

Finally a cruel close up of the part finished platform and summer special waiting to leave.

DIY day tomorrow so that's probably it for modelling for a few days..

Thanks for looking.

Scott

post-6849-0-18279300-1386199303.jpg

Hi Scott

Looking good - especially the platforms - you should be able to accomodate some fairly long trains in there. I'm currently also trying to work out what to use as the surface. I've started with some what appears to be sandstone effect paving, but it's looking too orange I think, so may just end up getting the paintbrush out with the trusty 'tarmac mix'.

Enjoy the DIY.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Like it and are you getting a black five for the steam service?

I know you're now happy as you've reached the ultimate theme with Large Logo 37's but if you ever want to give those green coaches a new home . . . . .  ;)

• RMweb Gold

I saw that but was too polite to mention it :angel:

Nah I just beat you to it ;)

On the steam front that's the only rtr one regularly up there though the Bachman K3 would be close enough for me to a K1. Bit too early for the Potter train ;)

Starting to look really good now Scott. Definitely got that Scottish highland terminus feel. Rather jealous of your green & cream coaches.

As for steam loco's the obvious choice is a Black 5 although I have thought along the same lines as Paul above with the K1. Other available RTR loco's that would be suitable for the Jacobite would be the B12 and Standard 4 2-6-0 as these have both made an appearance.

Marcus

I do like the idea of steam and sound too. I had a look on ebay and I expect a black 5 will be on the cards. I'm just trying to get over the fact I will spend money on a steamer rather than a diesel or stock. Might have to see if coleborne junction has one to loan for a bit before I buy one.

Im really pleased with the highland coaches. Im on the look out for the inter city ones with the white roof.

Evening,

Just a quick update to say that ive now wired the layout and testing has begun. So far so good. I need to lay the FY now so that I can play trains a bit before I commence the ballasting and scenic side. Just to make sure there's enough operating potential before I commit myself.

Cheers

Evening,

Testing continues on the layout, which in turn means more stock out of the drawer!

47745 spent some time at Leaford and was transferred to Exford before making the journey North to Fort Augustus,

Today 745 and 474 were seen at platform 2, just before they head back to Inverness.

post-6849-0-81037100-1386802640.jpg

post-6849-0-16256800-1386802675.jpg

post-6849-0-74766500-1386802693.jpg

Seen later at Carlisle after crossing into England

Thanks to Kevin for making it look dirty!

I had a parcel arrive yesterday which contained the platform surface. I hope to get that down at some point, but I have quite a few slabs to lay first.

That's it for now....

Archived