pitbull1845

Hi Scott

Hope all is well with you and yours.

I've enjoyed reading your thread, the transition from one idea to another, with continual evolution! I can relate to your thought process. I've made a promise to myself that I wouldn't start a layout thread until I had made full commitment to a project but yours is, as a principle, starting to take shape.

At least you're not flitting between Scotland and England for your prototype (unlike yours truly). I had particularly strong thoughts on developing a rural GNSR theme, late 60's to early/mid 80's. I was planning to include steam-age infrastructure as a first port of call and work forward from there. I now have a bigger set of boards to play with but will still try and keep with the rural, slow way of life feel. I can see why you are tempted to go a bit bigger and denser with all that diesel stock!

Keep us all posted on progress!

Cheers

Alex

Hi Scott,

Just been catching up on your thread, I have always wanted to a Scottish layout myself. Back in the day when Llanbourne was being built I always thought that one day I could run 26s 27s and 37s etc. I might even happen one day as I have a few 26s and a class 27 now.

If you decide to have a more urban feel  it would allow you to run more class 47s and DMUs as they are less common on your average Scottish branch.

There are a few pics of a Black 5 in Scotland on my Flickr site from my trip over in 2012. 

Cheers Peter.

Guess what!  Another failed attempt at a layout.. Sorry to those who have made comment on this plan and offered the encouragement. I'm afraid I'm just not feeling it. Not just the Scottish layout but the whole model railway idea.. 

I just don't have the enthusiasm at the moment. So I'm back to bare boards and will probably spend an evening soon putting all my stuff on Ebay.

I think my biggest problem is not having the vision for the scenery aspect and it just kills any ideas that I have. I need to buy a ready made layout. All I want to do is play trains!!

So from this point on there Is no layout, there are no plans for one in the near future and I promise I wont post in the layout topics section until (if) I have a layout that's nearing completion. I don't want to waste anyone's  time anymore.

I'm hoping that the model exhibition at the end of Jan in Eastleigh will give me a bit of inspiration. Hoping to meet up with the Leaford (not) on the road crew too for a good chat.

Thanks again for contributing to the thread and apologies for not going through with it..

Cheers

PS I'm not depressed. :help:   

Hi Scott,

Sorry to read that you're giving up on the Scottish idea. 

Hope to see you at Eastleigh for a chat (if you're still feed up by then you know that you can have a play with Melangoose, but I am not sure that this will give you much in the way of inspiration)

If you want some modern image inspiration why don't you head off to Stafford on the first weekend of Feb, they've got a fantastic MI line up

Barton Hill (Privatisation)

Black Country Blues (BR Blue)

Blue is the Colour (BR Blue)

Fisherrow Yard (BR Blue)

Kinlet Wharf (Sectorisation/Privatisation)

Leavesden (Sectorisation)

New Bryford (Privatisation)

Oildrum Lane (Privatisation)

Oldshaw (BR Blue)

Stackton Tressell (Privatisation)

Tinsley South (BR Blue)

Towester (BR Blue)

Widnes Road (BR Blue)

Trevanna Dries (BR Blue)

Colin and Terry from the Stafford Railway Circle should be congratulated for getting such mouth watering modern variety

Sorry to hear that Scott,

I think we have all been their. Don't be too hasty in selling your stock you will probably regret it, you have some very nice wagons etc some of your engineers stock looks very good.

I think one problem these days is that we can see so many layouts on Forums etc that it's easy to get overloaded with ideas or before one plan has time to germinate we see something else we like and feedback is instant with other peoples ideas flooding in it's hard to sit back and work out what YOU want. 

I hope the Eastleigh exhibition fires you back up may be some time without trying to build a layout will clear you head, you may even find a ready built layout that will suit your needs for a while until you work out what you want to do for yourself. either way hope it works out for you.

All the best Peter. 

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that, i'm sure the mojo will return in time mate. Those few trips to Eastleigh i did in December got me back into the swing of things. I have limited play time with Arnash left, as were moving this year and i'm gonna be ripping it up and hopefully starting a new layout again once were settled.

Cheers

Arnie

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm kind of use to the layout not going to plan now, I've just been looking back at some of my previous efforts and question why I ever ripped them up. At least with this one it never really got anywhere except for the track down.

I still have lots of ideas going round in my head so I know my modelling interest is still there, but I'll stick to putting them on paper for the time being.

Nigel I'm looking forward to seeing Melangoose at the end of the month, that layout would suit me down to the ground. So when you get bored of it let me know. :friends:   Unfortunately I'm working every weekend in February so no chance of getting to Stafford.

Might have to spend a day spotting at Didcot or Eastleigh to revive my mojo. But I'm sure that will mean 66's etc returning to my stock drawer!

Cheers

Scott it happens to the best of us (Just me and you ha ha) take a step back mate in a few weeks your views may change we have all been there some many times!!  :drag:

Keep in touch.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

PS 7MM??? :nono:

Do you know, I think you have to be a bit scientific with this modelling lark.

I'm as guilty as the next man with changing stock, gauge, era etc but a year unemployed put what I want in sharp focus.....I went from 20 locos to 7 and had a good think...

Now my West Midlands plank is tightly focused on early 90s, metals and CE traffic......this is my main focus, but a feeder project to the BIG project.

There will be a second feeder which will be a TMD...... Once at least one of these is finished, I can start weathering and building up stock for the BIG project,

The BIG project will start in the next ten years, and carry me through retirement, it all depends on finally finding the house I will settle in..

The BIG project will look something like Bescot !!

That's my ten pence worth on thought process

These will see you right Scott:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/424-scottish-region-in-the-1980s/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/429-scottish-region-photos-1980s/

You'll be on it like Sonic mate. I always come back to these when I lose my Scottish focus.

And this one for some earlier stuff:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/72157626232198549/

Alex

Hi Scott, sorry to hear that your mojo has gone on holiday. 

One thing Scott, please, think what you are saying. “But I'm sure that will mean 66's etc returning to my stock drawer!”.....surely you don’t have to resort to that do you?!!! Come on, snap out of it! That is not the solution and you know it........A nice class 60 may be but not a GM......if you need some help and advice I am always available to talk about these issues!  :mosking: :P :)

Joking aside, I am sure with time you will be back on track with a new idea and project. I hope so.

• RMweb Premium

l I'm looking forward to seeing Melangoose at the end of the month, that layout would suit me down to the ground. 

Why don't we build something similar then with those boards I've still got, and you can house it? ;)

I know most on here would love the space you have available, but I've always thought your main problem is you have too much room! You have lots of good ideas but they tend to grow in size, and then you lose the mojo because you don't see enough progress quickly enough with the limited time you get in the shed. Lets get together, decide on a baseboard size and build something manageable to suit your playtime needs and who knows even exhibit it one day?

See what I've done, I've just created the "Bocott/Redbrook/Maritime/Fort Whatsit * on the road crew" to replace the recently defunct Leaford on the road crew! :locomotive:   :yes:

(* delete as applicable)

Excellent Idea Ian,

If you get together and build something for shows scott gets play with the layout at home. Plus would leave room for Scott to build something in the future or maybe if you design the layout so it can be added too like Kevin has done with Leaford. Something smallish wouldn't take to long to get up and running so Scott won't have time to get bored with it plus he will have you guys to helping him out. More than happy to help trackplans and ideas.

Come on Scott, what an offer.

Its funny you mention the size thing too Ian, I think with most things their is a limit to what works the best. I have a friend who is about to start building a layout and he has already mentioned extending what I thought was a good size. I said to him to remember he will be building and useing it mostly on his own so something too big might not work as well, I think Exford is the right size for example not to big not to small you can run the trains you want and the maintenance isn't to bad. I would use trackcleaning as an example, and it's what I have found with my layout Llanbourne since extending it, if it takes too long to clean track you loose interest in running trains. It's fine if you are building a club layout as you are not on your own, but I think there is a limit to how much track or scenics or buildings or stock one person can manage.

Anyway I will shut up now, but will be interested to see how you go.

All the best Peter. 

• RMweb Gold

Bocott looked good and each one since has looked even better so although you don't have a finished layout there is at least a result in the modelling quality is easily good enough for a show layout. I can sympathise as I have collected stock for a On30 US layout, HO Chinese and HO Pennsy steam that are sitting awaiting one day. That's on top of the OO Southern layout and HO modern American layouts I'm building!

Oh and there's the HOm Harz I've just picked up and a few items of Om Swiss. As I reckon on each layout lasting 5-6 years that's me sorted into my 70's!!!

Hi Arnie,

Maybe you've found a buyer rather than rip it up?

Hi Ian,

When I say rip it up I don't mean all of it just the unfinished bits mostly. I will be keeping the main scenic depot part to incorporate into a new layout. Looking forward to watching the new joint venture with Scott come to life though, great idea!

Cheers

Arnie

Archived