Kitbashing the Weaver O Scale GP38-2

DaminKeenan

I'm planning on keeping the original fuel tank for now.  I need it to hide the drive-shaft that runs between the trucks.  I know that P&D has parts that can be used to eliminate the drive-shaft, but I don't want to get that complicated now.

I can always come back and replace it in the future, if I ever change my mind.

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

Great job on the loco, re the fuel tank SOO replaced the short MILW fuel tanks on most of the GP38-2 with those from scrapped GP40's, the 4513 being one of those treated, this tank is longer than the weaver version and would hide the drive shaft nicely.

Colin

Hi Damin

Great job on the loco, re the fuel tank SOO replaced the short MILW fuel tanks on most of the GP38-2 with those from scrapped GP40's, the 4513 being one of those treated, this tank is longer than the weaver version and would hide the drive shaft nicely.

Colin

I have chosen roadnumber 4512 for my model.  However, while browsing the Internet for reference photos to use, I've noticed several detail variations -- even in pictures of the same locomotive taken at different times.  So it just goes to show that these locomotives are evolving creatures; at least that's the excuse I'm using for my modeling! :pardon:

Thanks,

Damin.

I have chosen roadnumber 4512 for my model.  However, while browsing the Internet for reference photos to use, I've noticed several detail variations -- even in pictures of the same locomotive taken at different times.  So it just goes to show that these locomotives are evolving creatures; at least that's the excuse I'm using for my modeling! :pardon:

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

Ah yes the 4512 I think it is the only one left with the small fuel tank, just to add to the fun it also has been fitted with late model radiator grills too!

Colin

Hi Damin

Ah yes the 4512 I think it is the only one left with the small fuel tank, just to add to the fun it also has been fitted with late model radiator grills too!

Colin

Yes, changing the grills and relocating the fans on the roof were the biggest changes I've made so far.  In this respect, I think the Weaver model is more like an original GP38 than a GP38-2.

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

I agree the Weaver GP38-2 is a hybrid, its neither GP38 or GP38-2, but is pretty close to an early phase 1 GP38-2 with the wide fan spacing and long mesh radiator grill. It also lacks the shorter door under the firemans cab window typical of the dash 2 locos.

Strangely enough in g scale the USA trains GP38 is almost exactly the same, neither 38 or 38-2, as if both manufacturers used the same incorrect drawings!

Colin

I agree the Weaver GP38-2 is a hybrid, its neither GP38 or GP38-2, but is pretty close to an early phase 1 GP38-2 with the wide fan spacing and long mesh radiator grill. It also lacks the shorter door under the firemans cab window typical of the dash 2 locos.

Strangely enough in g scale the USA trains GP38 is almost exactly the same, neither 38 or 38-2, as if both manufacturers used the same incorrect drawings!

They probably did.  I once compared the Weaver model to the drawings that were published in Model Railroader, hoping to find the discrepancies so that I would know what to correct, I found that they essentially matched.  I wouldn't be surprised if the USA Trains GP38-2 is the same (I have one but it's in storage right now).  I tried in vain to find a set of drawings that were "correct."  I eventually decided just to go by what I saw in the photos of the prototype unit and build a model that was "good enough."

Thanks,

Damin.

They probably did.  I once compared the Weaver model to the drawings that were published in Model Railroader, hoping to find the discrepancies so that I would know what to correct, I found that they essentially matched.  I wouldn't be surprised if the USA Trains GP38-2 is the same (I have one but it's in storage right now).  I tried in vain to find a set of drawings that were "correct."  I eventually decided just to go by what I saw in the photos of the prototype unit and build a model that was "good enough."

Thanks,

Damin.

Damin,guys,

I have at my dispossal three sets of drawings as follows;

Railroad Model Craftsman,August,1967.  This is for the very first GP38`s built in 66',and as brought by MEC/BAR and others.

Model Railroader,February,1980.             I would describe these drawings as early GP38-2`s,ie,mesh rear grills and wide spaced rear fan`s.Such as Damin has explained.

Model Railroad Craftsman,October 1985. This is a nice 7 page article on the later GP38-2`s,ie closer rear fan`s and with either mesh or the final courigated grill`s.(they alsoinclude the high hood variation`s as well)

For copyright reasons i can`t publish these here,but.......... :secret:  with a suitably crawly PM ............. ;)

Brian.

I like the work you`ve done so far Andrew.

One thing i`ve noticed that i was going to do,but no one else seem`s to have done is notch the step wells back from the outside edge of the frame(where the handrail comes down) as in the photo;

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=118499

It`s looks a fairly easy mod to do, especially if  your going to use cast stantions and wire hand rails.

Brian.

Worked on the lettering this evening.  Here are the results.  Had a bit of a struggle, but it seems to have turned out well.

The white lettering is really bright.  But the washes will take care of that!

Now I'm off to bed...

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-05896400-1381302700_thumb.jpg

Looking at that model, one thing I hadn't really appreciated when I did my Bandit was that the Milwaukee must have started out with orange locos and added the black to them, rather than - as I assumed - starting out with a black loco and adding orange sides....

I'd love to do a Soo GP38-2..... Having been given the lowdown on everything that the Weaver one needs correcting, I reckon I'll wait and see if Atlas bring one out... :scratchhead:

Looking at that model, one thing I hadn't really appreciated when I did my Bandit was that the Milwaukee must have started out with orange locos and added the black to them, rather than - as I assumed - starting out with a black loco and adding orange sides....

I'd love to do a Soo GP38-2..... Having been given the lowdown on everything that the Weaver one needs correcting, I reckon I'll wait and see if Atlas bring one out... :scratchhead:

I think that if Atlas were going to do one they`d probably have done it by now,epecially if it was thought through properly as they could make several models by interchaging parts.(G38-2`s through to GP50`s) But if they were thinking of it,then the economic melt down probably did for it!.

I know MTH do a GP38-2 but i`ve never seen one up close,and i should think it`s aimed squarely at the 3rail guys.

And Lionel Make a GP40, the body is quite nice,but again aimed at the 3rail market.

Brian.

F-UnitMad,

I think that there is so much variation in locomotives like the GP38-2, many of which are on their second or third life, that no one model will ever be "correct" for all of them.  Instead just pick a unit that appeals to you and try and get as many photos of that unit as you can, and build yours to match.

It's that variability that makes them interesting, and keeps the rivet-counters at bay!

- Damin. 

It's not just that I hope Atlas would do a more accurate (for the Soo Line) version; I also prefer the molded details on Atlas locos to Weaver's - the recessed locker catches for instance, much better on Atlas models.

I'm also not that keen on the Weaver drive. Atlas's isn't perfect - the gear train along the side of the trucks, instead of hidden inside, is not ideal, but I wire the motors in series for good low-speed crawling (12v DC) and as most of my fleet are already Atlas, another one would fit in just nicely and lash up with the rest of them easily.

Coming along nicely now Damin,

Looking forward to seeing some more pics of it on your exhibition layout.(no pressure of course!)

F-unitMad,

The freight car look`s an old Walthers kit,but i`m more than likley wrong.

Brian.

Watching progress on this and impressed with what I've seen so far. There was an article on detailing the Weaver GP38-2 in issue 4 of US 0 Scale Trains, done to a rather simpler standard I reckon. Follow the link to page 52. This is one of those back numbers that is free to download. It may be of interest.

http://www.oscalemag.com/docs/ost_4.pdf

Hi, thanks for that. How did you do the conversion? I have my eye on an MTH car at my local Model Shop, but it's 3-rail which has rather held me back.

I can't say; it was converted before I purchased it.  It's got scale trucks and Kadee couplers.  Looking at the underside, it looks like it was designed to fit them.  Last year I bought a set of 3-rail bi-level commuter cars and they had mounting pads for Kadee couplers molded on the floor.  Take a closer look that the 3-rail car at you local shop, it may have been made the same way.

- Damin.

I've got the first coat of weathering (a rust filter) applied to six freight cars (three boxcars and three covered hoppers).  The second and final coat (a black wash) will be applied tonight after work.  I've got two other boxcars that may or may not get weathered depending on if I can find the time to do them.  The layout can fit seven cars.  Six is doable, but having eight available would allow for more variety.

The show opens Thursday; I've got to get everything set up by Wednesday.

Thanks,

Damin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share some photos of the layout (and my GP38-2) that I took while I was exhibiting it at the Railroad Prototype Modelers meet in Lisle, Illinois, last weekend.

I posted them on my blog on the MRH website.  Here's the link...

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/15624

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share some photos of the layout (and my GP38-2) that I took while I was exhibiting it at the Railroad Prototype Modelers meet in Lisle, Illinois, last weekend.

I posted them on my blog on the MRH website.  Here's the link...

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/15624

Thanks,

Damin.

Love it - be interested to know how many cars each track/spur/loop holds - and the layout size - may just be an answer to my dillema.

A nice little(?)layout you`ve got there Damin,do you plan to add a couple of building flats for the industries?.

On topic,I assume your Geep is DDC,so if it is what decoder are you using.

Brian.

Archived