Kitbashing the Weaver O Scale GP38-2

DaminKeenan

Love it - be interested to know how many cars each track/spur/loop holds - and the layout size - may just be an answer to my dillema.

The layout can fit about eight cars (plus the engine).  I've found that operation is more fluid if you designate fewer car spots than what the track can physically handle.  This gives you some crucial "breathing room" and keeps the layout from becoming an awful "move the empty space" puzzle.  The runaround on the "mainline" (center track) can fit three cars.  The front siding (the one coming off of the runaround track) has one designated car spot, although the track can clear two freight cars.  Each of the back sidings have two designated car spots, although a locomotive and two covered hoppers can fit on the left-hand track and clear the wye of the switchback.

The layout consists of two 6' sections and an 18" extension off of one end.  The main sections are 14" deep.  The layout was originally built as a shelf layout that sat on a trio of plastic shelving units in my old apartment.  The length of the wall, and the depth of the shelves determined its size.

Many have asked if it's a Timesaver.  And the trackplan is very similar.  Honestly, I wasn't thinking of the Timesaver when I designed it.  I just played around with Atlas's free trackplanning software until I found an arrangement that I liked.

Thanks,

Damin.

A nice little(?)layout you`ve got there Damin,do you plan to add a couple of building flats for the industries?

I may built a flat for track with the HERX and ATSF boxcars on it.  I've mocked up a warehouse in Photoshop using textures from a Clever Models disk.  I also have a hydrocal kit that I'm planning to finish off as a small, municipal building that would sit beside the tracks across from the fenced-in siding.

I really don't have a lot of room for structures.  And, I like the idea keeping the layout minimal.  That way, I can change eras just by swapping out the rolling stock.

Thanks,

Damin.

On topic,I assume your Geep is DDC,so if it is what decoder are you using.

I have a Soundtraxx Tsumani TSU-1000 for the sound effects and a Digitrax DH465 for the motor.  The Tsumani only has a 1 amp output which is insufficient to drive the Pittman motor that the Weaver came with.  The Digitrax has a 4 amp continuous output and 6 amps peak, so I went with a dual-decoder setup.  I don't think either decoder supports decoder locking, so I have to take the body shell of in order to program them individually (something I had to do twice on the day before the layout was scheduled to go to the meet -- needless to say I was not a happy camper that morning.  Fortunately, they behaved during the show itself).  I plan to install micro-switches on the underside of the frame to allow me to isolate the decoders for programming.

The lighting functions are split between the two decoders.

Thanks,

Damin.

Many thanks for the info Damin - I'd be thinking about an HO version

Shortliner,

If I were to build the layout again, I'd consider getting rid of the switchback arrangement in the back.  Instead, I'd have both sidings come directly off of the mainline and cross each other with a diamond.  That way you can switch each siding independently from the other.  With the current arrangement, I have to pull the cars from the left-hand siding in order to gain access to the right-hand siding.  I then have to figure out where to put those cars so that their out of the way while I switch the other track.  It's doable, but it's a pain in the butt.

Thanks,

Damin.

Shortliner,

If I were to build the layout again, I'd consider getting rid of the switchback arrangement in the back.  Instead, I'd have both sidings come directly off of the mainline and cross each other with a diamond.  That way you can switch each siding independently from the other.  With the current arrangement, I have to pull the cars from the left-hand siding in order to gain access to the right-hand siding.  I then have to figure out where to put those cars so that their out of the way while I switch the other track.  It's doable, but it's a pain in the butt.

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin,

Just seen pictures of your O Scale Switching layout on your MRH blog and I have to say I'm impressed. I love the minimalist nature of what you have done and I hope you don't mind but I have just drawn up a HO version in Rail-modeller which comes in at 180 x 30 cm without the staging cassette (which could be about 60 cm in HO). Would you have a problem if I used your plan to produce something similar in HO? I am recuperating from a stint of illness atm and I have been scratching my head for something to build for which I can just buy a board, plop down track I have, add some simple scenery and operate with the detailed BN stock I am accumulating. I have to say this has provided me with a real ray of light following a few days procrastinating about what I should do. Thanks for the inspiration. I just wish I had the space and time to do O scale, your work looks amazing.

Cheers

ChrisM

Just seen pictures of your O Scale Switching layout on your MRH blog and I have to say I'm impressed.

Thanks!

Would you have a problem if I used your plan to produce something similar in HO?...  I have been scratching my head for something to build for which I can just buy a board, plop down track I have, add some simple scenery and operate with the detailed BN stock I am accumulating.

No problem at all!

In fact, that the same reason I originally built my own layout.  Except, in my case, it was an IHB 0-8-0 off of eBay!

Thanks,

Damin.

Shortliner,

Thanks,

Damin.

Thanks for that Damin - Apolgies for not replying sooner, but a little "nasty" sneaked past the firewall and inserted itself where it shouldn't  - Much cussin & swearin' ensued whilst trying to dig it out again!.

Chris - looks like we have a similar  mind-set!

Thanks for that Damin - Apolgies for not replying sooner, but a little "nasty" sneaked past the firewall and inserted itself where it shouldn't  - Much cussin & swearin' ensued whilst trying to dig it out again!.

Chris - looks like we have a similar  mind-set!

Hi Jack, hope u r ok with me muscling in, it is such a good concept that I cannot ignore it and a perfect project to do whilst I'm in 'recovery mode' for the next month or so.

Cheers 

Chris M

< eerie music >

Jaaaack, Jaaaack, ....

Come to the Dark side....

Come to O Gauge....

It is warm here, and there is Scotch and Haggis.....

< eerie music off >

Andrew - :mail:

Strangely, I bought a tee-shirt a couple of weeks ago in Tescos that says  "Come to the Darkside" which I'll be wearing at Glasgow next year! O scale is too big for my wee heelan' Hobbit hole unfortunately - I have enough fun and games with HO

Hi Jack, hope u r ok with me muscling in, it is such a good concept that I cannot ignore it and a perfect project to do whilst I'm in 'recovery mode' for the next month or so.

Cheers 

Chris M

No problem at all, Chris, I suspect that yours will be done before mine though- I need to build an extension board to the ones I have - and dismantle another one to recover a Y-turnout - unless I go with Damins suggestion of the diamond and crossed tracks - however I 'm quite intrigued with  the layout "as is" - shifting cars increases the "thunking factor" - easy is boring!

• 1 month later...

I agree with you - particularly in 1/48 scale.... You'll need fine needle nose pliers to get the right bends in guitar strings (before you paint). Of course I tend to have a selection of old ones...

Show us what you come up with. I've always enjoyed improvising with "found things".

Best, Pete.

I found them at Des Plaines Hobbies <www.desplaineshobbies.com>

Now you'll have to call them, as their email answering is at best spotty. But they do have them.

Do you have a part number by chance?

Also, are they metal or plastic?

Thanks,

Damin.

Do you have a part number by chance?

Also, are they metal or plastic?

Thanks,

Damin.

Damin

They are metal and will be very nice if the GP9 stanchions are anything to go by and should fit straight into the GP38 frame. You supply the handrail wire. I think these parts were originally calscale, whatever they are nice. Des Plaines also does fuel tank castings for the weaver GP38.

Colin

Andrew

There were Weaver GP38-2 fuel tank replacement parts in the range that Des Plaines bought which became their O Scale America line alas no experience of these but if the quality of the rest is anything to go by they will be fine.

On the subject of the Weaver fuel tank our own "F Unit Mad" Jordan came up with a nice solution to the extended fuel tank on his SOO ex Milw GP40

Colin

Archived