Rubelandbahn

design8027

Hello,

Would anyone know what freight trains went to Konigshutte? If so are there any photo's available? All there seems to be is passenger trains. The furthest freight i"ve seen is HVLE trains at Hornberg where these trains seem to be to do with the limestone industry.

Stephen.

Hello folks! Take a look at this excellent website -  http://www.ruebelandbahn.de/

on the HBE Rübelandbahn. There's a great set of photos on the last day between Elbingerode and Königshütte. The line is a fascinating piece of technology and really worth a visit although there are scarcely any passenger trains nowadays. But when you see double-headed electrics (or train engine and banker) with very long limestone trains on toy-train gradients - wow! The present operator is the HVLE from Berlin, no longer DB.

The Rübelandbahn is Germany's only 25 Kv line - in GDR times it was electrified at 25Kv 50 Hertz because of its relative remoteness from any other standard electrified lines and the cheapest option was to tap into the standard national power supply as opposed to rail power supply at 16.66 Hertz, but that meant non-standard locos.

I've been wondering the same thing myself.  While the works/factory adjacent to the station was rail connected, I'm not sure what it produced.  Something on flat wagons perhaps- there's an overhead crane over one of the tracks within.  I'm almost certain it was a foundry, today Olsberg GmbH own the site.

• RMweb Premium

I've been there twice, the most recent being 2010.  A few pics from the visit are below. There are several rail served quarries on the line, which is very, very steep, so the freights were top and tailed.  Motive power was mainly electric locos, but occasionally a diesel at one end, electric at the other (hard to spot as the diesels and electrics look very similar).  There was also a plan to restore a steam loco that used to work on the line. 

post-19248-0-39663800-1380142393.jpg

post-19248-0-05557800-1380142395.jpg

post-19248-0-77333300-1380142396.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On receiving my usual newsletter from the Modellbahnshop Sebnitz (WELL worth a visit!) I nearly fell off my chair. Hornby-Arnold is bringing out in TT the Co-Co electrics built for the Rübelandbahn by the DR, They are more or less a lengthened version of the E12/E42, but were, of course, built for 25 Kv. I know what my next birthday list will contain....

http://blog.modellbahnshop-sebnitz.de/2013/10/03/arnold-tt/

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've a soft spot for this line myself, so I, too, keep turning my attention to the 251s (which are now offered in H0 scale as well). To my mind, a present-day setting with freights worked by Havelländische Eisenbahn and a restored 251 and vintage coaches providing passenger services (possibly as part of promoting tourism in the Rübeland region) would be very appealing...

Archived