Making a 4mm Radio Control Truck

Grasslands

Thanks for the link. It looks good.

By the way those are worm gears not planetary gears which would be very much harder to make in such a small space. 

I saw a YouTube film about simple gear hobbing so I have been wondering if I could cut a plastic (maybe even brass) gear using (say) an M4 or M5 bolt as a hob. And then another piece of the same sized bolt could be used as the worm. It wouldn't be high precision engineering but it may be good enough.

I also have some gears from some very small servos that I dismantled to use the motors and those gears seem to mesh nicely with small bolts (I've forgotten the exact size).

...R

The planetary gear is attached to the end of the motor encased in the black plastic, you can buy them in many different ratios, the one in this project is 25:1 I believe

I couldn't see that in the pictures on the German website. But my German is almost nil. The worm drive must have a reduction ration in the region of 10:1 to 20:1 which would make 250:1 or 500:1 along with a 25:1 planetary gear. Possible but unlikely is my suspicion. And a planetary gear train that small would have VERY small components.

...R

You have convinced me. A 699:1 gearbox in that space is little short of magic.

Also, I have edited my earlier post about gear hobbing. I had suggested using a bolt as a hob when I meant to say a tap - as in the YouTube videos. Hope I haven't confused anyone.

...R

• Like 1

I had a fair amount of trouble with the servo today. It was making a fair amount of noise and didn't seem to be registering the radio controllers existence. After doing some tests i found that it had to be the servo at fault (rather than my wiring). I gave up and decided I would have to buy a new one. As curious people do, I took apart the servo and found a cog had slipped off its shaft. The servo started working again after putting the cog back in place.

I have fitted the pivot for the servo to operate the steering and I have blacked out the cab windows (in the hope i can fit the receiver inside).

There might be too much play in the steering column In its current configuration, but I will find out tomorrow.

post-3486-0-18055400-1397945548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grasslands

All done :)

I am really pleased with it. I need to do some painting and weathering, but I think that can all wait for another day.

I redesigned the steering pivot as it kept slipping of the steering column at full lock. I have also added some weight inside the pick up crane. The electronics are now hidden beneath the blue tarpaulin. The green hood and tarpaulin can be removed so I can mess with the wiring or recharge the truck.

I wonder what I should do next?

Here is a video of the test run:

2014-04-22-21-00-54lr.jpg?w=624

2014-04-22-21-00-24pslr.jpg?w=625&h=352

• Like 4

Absolutely brilliant - you've certainly cracked it! And with a lovely amount of articulation on the front axle too!

Excellent job!

Thanks Giles, I am really happy with the front axle. I secretly hoped it would be capable of going off-road, but gave up when I was having traction issues around Christmas. Iam very pleased to see it manoeuvre across the tile grout on Quarry Transfer.

I will post a more thorough explanation of the last few stages of the build in the next few days.

• 2 years later...

I was inspired by this to have a go at making my own, check out the video:

I was using fairly cheap R/C gear so I had to get the biggest lorry I could find to fit it all in, but it's not too bad for a first effort :)

(Probably have to full-screen it if you want to see the subtitles, it looked bigger when I was making it...)

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 4

Very impressive.

At the end of the video you show an IC on the end of some wires - looks like a voltage regulator. You can get SOIC versions which are a great deal smaller but still not difficult for hand-soldering.

...R

I was using fairly cheap R/C gear so I had to get the biggest lorry I could find to fit it all in, but it's not too bad for a first effort :)

(Probably have to full-screen it if you want to see the subtitles, it looked bigger when I was making it...)

Wow!!! I am so happy you were inspired to do this :). It looks great and the suspension is really impressive. I will watch the video closely to see how you have constructed the steering mechanism. Mine is out of action at the moment with a slipped gear, but it will be up and running soon. Maybe we should all meet up at a show and drive our cars around a layout ;)

Thanks for all the positive comments! :) 

Very impressive.

At the end of the video you show an IC on the end of some wires - looks like a voltage regulator. You can get SOIC versions which are a great deal smaller but still not difficult for hand-soldering.

...R

It is a 7805 type regulator, I just used what I had lying around. I didn't think of getting a SOIC version, that would have been so much better, fortunately this lorry was big enough to fit it, but I'll try it next time. 

Wow!!! I am so happy you were inspired to do this :). It looks great and the suspension is really impressive. I will watch the video closely to see how you have constructed the steering mechanism. Mine is out of action at the moment with a slipped gear, but it will be up and running soon. Maybe we should all meet up at a show and drive our cars around a layout ;)

The steering mechanism is from here. It's a bit expensive but if I'd made it myself it wouldn't have worked nearly as well, I bought a set of their front wheels too to go with it 'cos the Base Toys ones are a bit more egg-shaped than I'd like...

TS

• 1 month later...

TurboSnail, thats a really nice piece of work, runs beautifully and the mechanism is well hidden.

I remember a few years ago, visiting the model engineering show at Ali Pali, and visiting the substanstial RC truck stand,where they had a huge roadway with 1:14 scale trucks driving around. I asked if there was anyone working in smaller scales, e.g. 1:76 or 1:43, (already aware of the German 1:87 stuff on you tube and with my scammel already running, if poorly). They laughed at me and said they had never heard of anything that small and were sure nothing could be fitted into such a small space.

Now it feels there are almost enough of us to start a uk micro road vehicle club.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The cost of the kit has risen substantially but there is no mention of the minimum size of the model required. Will it fit into a Ford Transit or does it need something larger?

Cheers

Hi David

The biggest issue (literally) will be the Lipo single cell battery. Mine is laid out across the trailer of the pickup truck. 

Something like the NI170 NiMH battery might be easier to squeeze into a transit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1