Father Dougal

Well hello there again. I love a bargain and today I am now the proud owner of TWO rather tired looking Triang Hymeks.

post-18380-0-25669800-1380437360.jpg

Just bought from eBay for a steal.

I plan to follow the same route For the projects as I used for the Lima 33 project.

This came out ok.

post-18380-0-41996400-1380437602_thumb.jpg

Both Diesels will use the PRMRP detailing kits, but this time I will use 2 motors.

I think that Diesels always look better in BR Blue and a layer of dirt on top. But, I might paint one of the Hymeks in green, just for variety.

This should keep me out of mischief over the winter months.

Put the kettle on Mrs Doyle.

Oh go on.

Edited by Father Dougal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Father.

I enjoyed your 33 conversion, so will be following this one too. I understand from a friend that you're doing a GUV also, but can't seem to find the thread. Could you post a link for me?

Cheers.

Sean.

Hello Sean, yes I am being a busy boy at the moment.

The GUV kit in on my work bench thread- sorry but I can't workout how to provide a link. It's currently on page 2 of the 7mm forum thread.

Work has stalled this weekend as I am a bit puzzled by the instructions to build the commonwealth bogies. As I have now also bought a rake of Lima mk 1 coaches for restoration, I might use the same bogies on the GUV.

I will probably dispense with the work bench thread and post on my new Crilly st thread to keep everything in 1 place.

Dougal.

• Like 1

Bless me Father Dougal for I have sinned;

It has been quite some time since my last UK conversion. I have an old "red" big-big train Hymek sitting in the box in the closet waiting for inspiration. And Lo! You have provided it.

I am looking forward to watching this thread as I have always loved the Hymek (even though I am an Aussie and have never seen one in the flesh) and would love to get her done right.

Keep the information coming as I would really like to see what you use. It will be inspiration for my own conversion.

I am in the middle of two GP38-2 rebuilds at the moment, which you can read about here if interested:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76606-kitbashing-the-weaver-o-scale-gp38-2/

The Hymek will be BR Blue in the last years of use, and the layout will be a switching layout also, but that is not slated for a build until late 2014 - early 2015 during the Australian late spring-summer. It will be a generic switching layout available for use with both my US and UK outline stuff. And I hope to have it for exhibition use as I have a fairly large HO switching layout for home.

PS - are the bogies available complete or kit? That seems to me to be the biggest issue facing me. I have already done most of the work on the body to remove , but want to go the whole hog on her when the time comes. Would love to replace the louvers and such with brass or if I cannot find them reasonably priced, then I'll build scratchbuilt plasticard or brass replicas.

Signing off for now.

Hello!

Always nice to hear from another Blue diesel fan. I'm going to be using the PRMRP conversion kit as it has almost everything I need. The bogies are in kit form, but they are pretty straightforward to build. If you look at my previous project with the Lima 33, you will how the kits work.

I have bought a book for reference and I would suggest that you might want to use reference photos too.

Some people have used the Heljan spares on the triang model, but I have not tried that yet.

At the moment I am juggling 3 projects at once, so posting on this thread will be as and when.

Regards,

Dougal.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok, a bit later than planned, but here we go.

I should have a new arrival in the post in the next day or two of a Hymek and detailing bits.

I picked this up for silly money on feepay- less than a third of the price of buying the detail kit new.

I already have two other Hymek’s that have been waiting for an upgrade for a few years.

I plan to use the best body shell.

If this goes well, I may do another one (or two).

more to follow soon.

come on Postie! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

So far I’ve only got a Lima 4F and I’ve been trying to find more Lima O gauge stuff but so far I can’t find anything. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

thanks,

PT14

I have 3 Hymek models. I really don’t need 3. You can have one if you like. PM me, I bought mine dirt cheap, so you could have one. Make me an offer.

Dougal

Whilst waiting for wheels to arrive for Denise, I had a tidy up.

Here are the two Hymek models I already have.

I only appear to have one battery box. I can easily knock up another with plasticard at some point.

My Hymek with the detail kit should come tomorrow, which would be nice as it is my Birthday.

73859976-5C0A-4084-87E3-4C8A96E47AD6.jpeg.05c8f786ffafef1f0d3268dce923ca04.jpeg89D4BA89-8556-4954-ADEC-C2141E34BB61.jpeg.f5aa93fcb4e5d639f05398183f3741ad.jpeg2086203B-F02C-4993-85B3-B2219B43D64F.jpeg.beabf4c6541a49fb027271572774072f.jpeg

• Like 2

Happy Birthday to me!

my Hymek arrived. Looks complete, but only comes with one motor bogie. I have a spare in the shed which should be ok, or I may just go single motor.

I think some of the white metal parts have been glued. I prefer to solder usually.

This should be a fun project.

Dougal.118E5311-4811-4C03-A5D7-F6708BD23A7F.jpeg.285520dd73469f3fef6a5635f02a149c.jpeg5449999E-A260-4398-9F39-3242D77C0496.jpeg.0a9c91bc0822daf351cb89eee3bde7ac.jpeg

• Like 3

So the body shell has been soaking in Dettol for a few days. Only the ends have been painted and this came away very easily. Most of the model is coloured plastic.

I need to order a new pack of cutting discs for my Dremmel as the next stage is a spot of gratuitous cutting of the inside body work.

more to follow.

Dougal

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the build - I have two hymeks that I have yet to pluck up the courage to convert.

Do the bogies come bent and 'dry assembled' as per you picture above? Or have you already done that yourself?

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold
On 16/10/2019 at 18:21, Father Dougal said:

Oh Hi, no, the brass frames need cutting out. The previous owner cleaned them up a bit as well.

They are quite easy to bend.

Dougal

Oh - ok

I have downloaded and read the instructions you show - they look good but there are a few things I'm looking forward to seeing you do first!

Good luck,

James