My new HO project

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Following a hectic few months where I have managed to get very little modelling done due to various factors I have now started work on a project in HO!

One of our club members had started a project based on a series of articles which were published in Model Railroader starting in December 1990, The article was titled "Port of Los Angeles project railroad" and covered the construction of a 6'x30" module depicting the entrance to an intemodal terminal/dockside scene.

Our club member had decided to follow the trackplan and had built the board and started laying track before deciding on a change of direction with the building of a permanent layout in his railway room.

I was asked if I'd be interested in aquiring what he'd done so far and decided to take it on, I have a decent collection of Canadian HO which doesn't get run half as often as I like and had never got to the planning stage apart from inside my headbiggrin.gif

I picked up the board a few weeks ago and have just got round to getting it out of the garage and making a start!

Along with the board I also got enough track to finish the plan, peco point motors and Kadee magnets, the plan was marked out on cork and some of the track was already laid so over the last few nights I've continued with the tracklaying and carried out some basic wiring for DCC testing, there is still some tidying up of the original track to be done too, the trackwork is Peco code 83.

The eventual plan is to extend it into a larger layout but I'm not setting any timescale as I'm in no hurry!

Here are a few pics, the first is how the layout looked just after I brought it in from the garage, I posed some stock of the era the layout will depict, the plan is to base the setting on somewhere in the Toronto area as this lets me run my GO Transit and VIA Rail stock too!

post-291-12634673550129_thumb.jpg

post-291-12634675134648_thumb.jpg

The area where the hoppers are sitting in the pic above will be the site of a rail served warehouse with a track entering the building where the cork has been laid in the background, the track in the forground with the tanker sitting on it will be a loading dock at the side of the warehouse.

post-291-12634675712689_thumb.jpg

I'll update this thread as time goes on, next up will be to finish the wiring then onto planning the rest of the layout!

Cheers

Craig

Archived